Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are you a Fantasy-fag or a Sci-Fi-fag?

Are you a fantasy-fag or a sci-fi-fag?

• Total voters

Klarion

Arcane
Really wanna hear what you people prefer...

mondblut

Arcane
Used to be fantasy all the way. Some scifi tv and games (and Glen Cook) made me more tolerant to scifi, but in general fantasy is way more preferable, in novels in particular.

sqeecoo

Arcane
I want to be a fantasy fan, but good fantasy novels are few and far between, and there's plenty of good SF out there. Recommendations, mondblut?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
CRPGs: fantasy, because magic.

Books: used to be a fantasy fan, but realized most fantasy is basically the same: set in an alternate ancient/medieval word where magic works, and there is a war.
A SF story can happen anywhere and any time, and deal with much more diverse things. So now I'm currently reading my way through the classic SF magazines and novels.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Unfortunately most of modern fantasy is tired, braindead trash and it feels like a tea bag used so many times it's not even brown anymore. If I hear one more time I have to find a magic sword and kill an evil wizard I swear imma shave my head, climb a church tower and start shooting randomly at the street down below.

Not that all SF is brilliant but there's so much more variety and novelty and inventiveness. Too bad most RPGs are and always have been fantasy.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sci-fi because fuck fantasy. I'm burned out on magic and elves and shit. It's just not very interesting anymore.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fantasy-fag, in RPGs as well as in books. :obviously:

Read a lot of scifi when I was younger, in more recent years I came to read much more fantasy. Don't know why really, maybe I got more conservative over the years or something. More likely it has something to do with a love for history, myths and the like, to which fantasy naturally has a much closer connection.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
If I hear one more time I have to find a magic sword and kill an evil wizard I swear imma shave my head, climb a church tower and start shooting randomly at the street down below.

16481.jpg

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Both honestly. I would love to see more good sci-fi rpgs tho, especially turn- and partybased games. Sci-fi offers a lot of potential, something like Whales Voyage in good or smth (never played WV but Bee said it sucks and I trust her on this).

In books unfortunately both genres are like 90 % shit.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I want to be a fantasy fan, but good fantasy novels are few and far between, and there's plenty of good SF out there.
Not limited to novels, and including some science-fantasy:

The Well at the World's End by William Morris
The House on the Borderland and The Night Land by W. H. Hodgson
King Solomon's Mines and She by H. Rider Haggard
Various short story collections by Lord Dunsany
The Moon Pool and The Ship of Ishtar by Abraham Merrit
Collections of the Conan and Solomon Kane stories by Robert E. Howard
Collections of short stories by Clark Ashton Smith
H.P. Lovecraft I consider a horror and SF writer, but some would classify his work as fantasy
Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson
Collections of the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber
The Dying Earth stories by Jack Vance
The Elric stories by Michael Moorcock
Lord of Light and the original Amber series by Roger Zelazny
The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
^These are all fantasy masterpieces but you're talking about the Best of Last 100 years and not a single game (this is a gaming thread after all). Too bad gaming devs are so unwavering in their belief a fantasy game means the plot, writing and characters have to be geared for 10 year olds. With the exception of Witcher and Torment I can't come up with a single fantasy game that's not outright embarrassing as far as the non-gameplay elements are concerned.

Such a shame. Fantasy can be so evocative, so powerful. Hodgson or Wolfe are completely mindblowing. Before I read Night Land I thought Lovecraft is the pinnacle of scary and eerie and uncanny. Lol, what a fool I was. Alas it seems we're stuck with magical artefacts and dragons and wizards in dark towers.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Gaymes: I like both, but still prefer sci-fi/cyberpunk stuff. Same for books and movies.

If they're mixed together -- eeh, well, it could work. But I'm yet to see a good example of that.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
If I hear one more time I have to find a magic sword and kill an evil wizard I swear imma shave my head, climb a church tower and start shooting randomly at the street down below.

Is that really much of a thing, though, in fantasy RPGs? I mean I feel like that sort of thing hasn't really been popular since the 80s. Dark fantasy is cool now, and it's all just crap about the real enemy being human nature and saying the word fuck and things like that. Ultra-cliche high-fantasy pulp would actually feel like a breath of fresh air right now.

Unwanted

Bustamonte

Unwanted
Shitposter
Fantasy but only if it is high fantasy with no modern horribleness as is typical today. Otherwise may as well go to debauched nihilistic scifi.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Sci-fi. I like "old-timey" military stuff though. Games when you can kill people with swords, spears, axes etc. I prefer it in a historical setting or a fantasy world with not too much "supernatural" stuff.

Jigawatt

Arcane
On the one hand there's Arcanum and Dark Souls, but then, Fallout and SMAC. Voted sci-fi because as others have pointed out fantasy writers seem to confine themselves to a much narrower 'idea space' - all else being equal I would be more interested in an upcoming project if it was announced as sci-fi rather than fantasy.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am a simple man who likes his fantasy with laser guns and cheerleaders on rocket sleds.

Although lately, I have been thinking about "classic fantasy, done right". A lot of high fantasy is disappointing because it is only 3d10 entries from TvTropes glued together. It lacks imagination, whimsy, and a sense of wonder. It is lazy because all it does is remix and dilute older recipes. But if you look at the classics, there is something there the modern efforts don't capture, and I'd like to see that something getting more screen time. No post-modernist irony, no SJW perversion, no pop culture nonsense - just something that goes deep into high fantasy's original themes, and believes in its message.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom