Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are you a Storyfag or a Gameplayfag?

Are you a Storyfag or a Gameplayfag?

• Total voters

M. AQVILA

Arcane
I'm curious about the Storyfag to Gameplayfag ratio on the Codex.

Storyfag: Your focus and criticism tends to be directed at the story, setting, characters, art, soundtrack, etc - the creative side. You'll be more likely to complain about the story or the setting over combat mechanics or the loot system.

Gameplayfag: Your focus and criticism tends to be directed at the rules and/or methods designed for interaction with the game - the mechanical side. You'll be more likely to complain about balance or combat mechanics over the story or the setting.

Even if you prefer a balance between the two please pick the one you're leaning towards the most.

Severian Silk

I thought we had this poll already?

Anyway, I can tolerate a game if it has a good story and sort of bad gameplay, like PST. But I can't replay shit like Silent Storm despite the good combat.

Also, I liked PoE better than DOS even though the latter has much better combat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan

Arcane
doesn't this largely depend on the type of rpg it is?

is it literary (torment), is it action (Jagged Alliance), is it FPS (Deus Ex/STALKER)

M. AQVILA

Arcane
doesn't this largely depend on the type of rpg it is?

is it literary (torment), is it action (Jagged Alliance), is it FPS (Deus Ex/STALKER)

In general. For example in a strategy/tactical RPG you might give more importance to the gameplay but in most other cases it's the other way around, in this case you're a storyfag. I know it might be relative but just pick the one you're leaning towards the most.

Trashos

Arcane
I tried to follow your instructions but I really can't. Both gameplay and story are equally important to me. And I feel we do not get either one in good quality often.

So since there is no kingcomrade option, I voted the stupid option "graphics" in order to be able to see the results.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I have played games where I wasn't enjoying the game anymore but kept playing to find out what happens storywise.

I guess that makes me a storyfag.

Prime Junta

Had to go with storyfag although it's a tough call.

Reason being: the games I remember most fondly, I remember because of story/content, and many of these despite moderate to serious flaws in gameplay. Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, and Morrowind to name three. While it is possible to find an enjoyable way to play these games, you have to actively look for it as most of the "obvious" ways of playing them are dull, frustrating, or otherwise broken.

Cadmus

Arcane
I usually need some story to drive me forward but if the gamplay sucks I won't play either way. It also depends on the game. Just because you want me to lean towards one option to make your retard poll work doesn't mean I'll roll over and do it. Instead I voted for the OP is a retarded cocksucking faggot.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Such a weird way of approaching how you experience games; based on what you criticize instead of what you enjoy most.

I'm probably more of a storyfag because I can easily spend time on a game with bad mechanics because I get sucked in by the story enough to disregard that. (Arcanum might be a good example? PS:T too?)
But when asked an opinion about a game I'll more often than not talk about its mechanics, not its story. The first is simply more easily rated and less subjective while story is a more personal matter; something which engages one person can be bland and boring for the next.

And obviously balance is needed. A good story CAN get ruined by bad mechanics, regardless of how good a story it is. It'll be hard to keep interested if the game crashes every 20 seconds, you get stuck or lose hours of gameplay due to bugs, or even if less buggy the mechanics are too far out of your comfort zone. Main example to me would be AoD... Much as I really really WANT to love the game and explore its story, its teleporting, 'guess your next skillcheck' and 'my way or the highway' mechanics simply prevent me from getting into it.

For RPG's I'm probably still more of a storyfag though. I even managed to reach the end of PoE just because I wanted to see how the story ended. (Wasn't worth it.) But it really does depend on the game.
Outside of MUD's 'back in the days' there isn't a game I spent more time on than Civilization, which doesn't even have a story except for the one you choose to larp in it. But mechanics... man.

Severian Silk

The Farscape video game supposedly had a good story and voice acting, but sucked in every other way. I've always wanted to play it because I'm a huge Farscape fan.

Severian Silk

The Farscape video game supposedly had a good story and voice acting, but sucked in every other way. I've always wanted to play it because I'm a huge Farscape fan.
In fact, remaking the game using the Farscape d20 rules would be awesome, maybe using the ToEE engine if it ever becomes easy to mod.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Same thing for every game, while I want a good story the gameplay itself is still far more important to me.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Storyfags are guilty of shit like "Story Mode", interactive movies and in general the concept that game playing is something you have to suffer through or skip if possible to get to the story.
So fuck them, even though I have some storyfag blood I reject them and wouldn't want to ever associate with this group.

:timetoburn:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I voted "OP is a fag" - obviously but i agree with previous poster, to hell with storyfaggotry, gameplay is the most important and story is secondary.

After some thinking i came to a conclusion - as surprising as it may be - that Excidium II is onto something.
So in order of importance (and its official !):

1. Gameplay
2. Full frontal nudity
3. Story

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Apart from op being a fag, its fucking both. A game can be very good either because it has very good story/atmosphere, or because it has rock solid game play, some even manage to combine both.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I don't usually care for the storyline itself, but I'd always prefer a unique setting with a flawed (but still playable) mechanics than an awesome mechanics in a generic fantasy crap setting.

So what does that makes me?

Also, voted OP is a fag because of the 'read the original post first' on title.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom