Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Areal, STALKER spiritual successor by West Games - LOL CANCELLED

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I contacted Putin and that letter was not fake. It's a shame really.

A shame. I wanted to have a bit of a laugh when people stupid enough to back this got to learn the harsh reality of being royally screwed.

Well if you still want to get a laugh you can check out the Yogencast KS that basically melted down recently. They have already claimed that they are not required to offer refunds and it also came to light that they were completly incompetent i.e they paid a artist $95k upfront and the guy could not stay on the team as he accepted a job from Disney or something and the contract stated he didn't have to pay them back for doing literally no work.
There's been a couple of funny/idiotic stuff on kickstarter. That little girl that wants to prove to her brothers that she can make a video game scam, Areal, Yogscast and the situation with Confederate Express.

This is the reason I stay away from unknown people's campaigns. It might defeat the purpose of kickstarter but I don't really give a crap. I don't want to end up in a situation where I get swindled. (Although it could happen even if the ones running the campaign are people one have heard of.)

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I would not "stay away" from any kickstarter by an unknown, that would be stupid. What I would suggest however is that the only way I would give money to said unknown is that he provides a working demo that shows considerable elements of his game/engine and his ability to program. He should also be able to demonstrate communication skills, intelligence, realism, and stay away from bullshit claims*. But if someone's business plan is "give me lots of money up front so I can try if I'm able to develop a game", backers should gtfo.

*By the way, Alexander from Aterdux was a good example of said person, even if the game takes longer than planned I never had doubts in what he said.

Burning Bridges

A shame. I wanted to have a bit of a laugh when people stupid enough to back this got to learn the harsh reality of being royally screwed.

Well if you still want to get a laugh you can check out the Yogencast KS that basically melted down recently. They have already claimed that they are not required to offer refunds and it also came to light that they were completly incompetent i.e they paid a artist $95k upfront and the guy could not stay on the team as he accepted a job from Disney or something and the contract stated he didn't have to pay them back for doing literally no work.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/winterkewlgames/yogventures

:what:

WTF, 567,000$ for such garbage?

If kickstarter will implode it is because of such assholes.

Burning Bridges

"The most brilliant idea, with no execution, is worth $20."
"The most brilliant idea takes great execution to be worth $20,000,000."

ideas, be it for games, mods, kickstarter etc.
stuff should be tought in school.

http://sivers.org/multiply

Derek Sivers
Ideas are just a multiplier of execution

It's so funny when I hear people being so protective of ideas. (People who want me to sign an NDA to tell me the simplest idea.)

To me, ideas are worth nothing unless executed. They are just a multiplier. Execution is worth millions.

Explanation:

AWFUL IDEA = -1
WEAK IDEA = 1
SO-SO IDEA = 5
GOOD IDEA = 10
GREAT IDEA = 15
BRILLIANT IDEA = 20
-------- ---------
NO EXECUTION = $1
WEAK EXECUTION = $1000
SO-SO EXECUTION = $10,000
GOOD EXECUTION = $100,000
GREAT EXECUTION = $1,000,000
BRILLIANT EXECUTION = $10,000,000

To make a business, you need to multiply the two.

The most brilliant idea, with no execution, is worth $20.

The most brilliant idea takes great execution to be worth $20,000,000.

That's why I don't want to hear people's ideas.

I'm not interested until I see their execution.

Burning Bridges

Interesting how STALKER seems to be a magic attractor for this kind of stuff.
I can still remember the chaotic situation during the many years before it was released with the help of an American project manager, and the new chaos ensuing afterwards, until they closed for good.

Perkel

Arcane
"The most brilliant idea, with no execution, is worth $20."
"The most brilliant idea takes great execution to be worth $20,000,000."

ideas, be it for games, mods, kickstarter etc.
stuff should be tought in school.

http://sivers.org/multiply

Derek Sivers
Ideas are just a multiplier of execution

It's so funny when I hear people being so protective of ideas. (People who want me to sign an NDA to tell me the simplest idea.)

To me, ideas are worth nothing unless executed. They are just a multiplier. Execution is worth millions.

Explanation:

AWFUL IDEA = -1
WEAK IDEA = 1
SO-SO IDEA = 5
GOOD IDEA = 10
GREAT IDEA = 15
BRILLIANT IDEA = 20
-------- ---------
NO EXECUTION = $1
WEAK EXECUTION = $1000
SO-SO EXECUTION = $10,000
GOOD EXECUTION = $100,000
GREAT EXECUTION = $1,000,000
BRILLIANT EXECUTION = $10,000,000

To make a business, you need to multiply the two.

The most brilliant idea, with no execution, is worth $20.

The most brilliant idea takes great execution to be worth $20,000,000.

That's why I don't want to hear people's ideas.

I'm not interested until I see their execution.

Sorry but that is big pile of bullshit.
Like you would try to encapsulate empirical numbers on feelings.

There is no correlation between execution and idea beside binary status of doing it or not.
That completely beside money value depending on work type/place/amount of people and so on.

See flappy bird. Terrible idea with terrible execution. Completely binary and yet it was more successful than opposite of that.

QCMnXuo.jpg

That Yogscast kickstarter is completely dumbfounding and enraging but of course it's also inevitable that a certain number of such projects arise. It's probability. That artist who screwed them though should be publicly shamed and blacklisted. It may not be written into the contract for them to pay it back but legal action would have twisted their arm enough to force good faith upon them. That's what I'd be doing.

The guy running it also needs to be blacklisted from kickstarter at the least. The level of incompetence is unbelievable.

I want to see some kind of community response group develop out of kickstarter. People pooling resources to maximise their chance of getting money back, compelling scammers and incompetent developers to follow through on commitments and coordinating their efforts to make suspicious information available from the outset. It can't really continue with such a lack of accountability

Last edited:

Dr Tomo

Learned

There's been a couple of funny/idiotic stuff on kickstarter. That little girl that wants to prove to her brothers that she can make a video game scam, Areal, Yogscast and the situation with Confederate Express.

This is the reason I stay away from unknown people's campaigns. It might defeat the purpose of kickstarter but I don't really give a crap. I don't want to end up in a situation where I get swindled. (Although it could happen even if the ones running the campaign are people one have heard of.)

I wouldn't as you would have missed a gem like Hyperlight Drifter, Hex, and the other trading card game and there is probably more that I have missed.

That artist who screwed them though should be publicly shamed and blacklisted. It may not be written into the contract for them to pay it back but legal action would have twisted their arm enough to force good faith upon them. That's what I'd be doing.

I disagree, it isn't his fault that the creators are too retardo to actually draw up a business contract or at the very least too cheap to actually hire a lawyer to competently do it for them. It is like you want to feel pity for a studio that gets in bed with a publisher and doesn't hire a lawyer to read the contract or some person that falls for the get rich quick schemes you see on tv. Also the Yogscast people made a profit over the ks scam, aka over $150k, so if you want to hate on somebody hat the people at Yogscast.

*correction on previous posts it was not Yogencast, actually Yogscast.

The biggest question currently hanging over the collapse of Yogventures is the fate of the $150,000 in Kickstarter funds that Winterkewl Games founder Kris Vale says went to Yogscast shortly after the Kickstarter concluded. Vale claims a contract specifying how the money was to be used was never drawn up but the amount is roughly triple what the studio estimated as the cost for physical rewards, and he's "just as confused as everyone else" about what happened to the rest of it.

In an email exchange, Vale made it clear that the Yogventures project was plagued by mismanagement from the very start, resulting from a mix of inexperience, naivete and a misplaced faith in the essential goodness of human nature. That led to the now-infamous loss of a principal artist, and more significantly the $35,000 lump sum he was paid that the studio could not legally recover. Shortly after that, Lewis Brindley of Yogscast demanded—and ultimately received—$150,000 of the Kickstarter funds.

*source

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The latest fuckup in the unending fuckup that is Areal is reaching epic proportions, now the are turning on Kickstarter, blaming the russians, trolls and even claiming THEY are the creators of Stalker.
If GSC wasn't such a crazybin they should use all of this publicity to anounce Stalker 2

Burning Bridges

There is no correlation between execution and idea beside binary status of doing it or not.
That completely beside money value depending on work type/place/amount of people and so on.

See flappy bird. Terrible idea with terrible execution. Completely binary and yet it was more successful than opposite of that.

What you write makes no sense at all.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I wouldn't as you would have missed a gem like Hyperlight Drifter, Hex, and the other trading card game and there is probably more that I have missed.
I am looking forward to Hyper Light Drifter and will most probably buy once it releases. I have backed 6 or 7 KS projects but I own 20 KS games. Not backing some of the games doesn't mean I will not buy if they look good once actually released.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom