Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Argos: Riders on the Storm - immersive sim from Warren Spector

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Renewed Otherside website reveals the title and overview of Warren's new game. https://otherside-e.com/our-games/

As suggested by job postings it will have co-op.

hpP7AIg.png

yrr8Vk5.jpg

ARGOS: RIDERS ON THE STORM​

From the creative mind of Warren Spector comes a new game, set in an alien yet strangely familiar world. As with Warren’s earlier work in the Immersive Simulation genre, the world will offer players the chance to "pick a playstyle" - to decide for themselves how to interact with a deeply simulated outdoor environment. But be aware that the choices you make will have consequences, large and small, and directly affect your experience. You will be able to team up with friends to weave a unique story unlike that of any other players.

Watch this space for more details.

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
Is this really the name of it now? FFS, how stupid can they be?

ARGOS? this is the brand name of a UK possibly whole European one cheap electrical goods store ... Think Woolworths with a discount or Pound Shop, it just reeks of low quality already.

Possibly, he/they have not heard of this cheap home goods brand name and I can imagine they are highly unlikely to be challenged by the name, but you never really know? At the end of the day.

I do praise talent when I see it but also realise talent does not hang around forever, amongst naturally talented game makers, we are never going to see the likes of Ultima Underworlds 1 and 2, SS 1 and 2 or even the first two Thief games again. what talent created those brilliant products in the first place has now been flushed down the toilet bowl and wont come back, ever to be seen again.

I mean, imagine if some developer were to call a new game .... WALMART and expect it to be taken seriously ... it's beyond stupid, isn't it?, yet that thats what these clowns seem determined to do, nobody wants this, nobody was asked bit its like this is what we are getting and like it or not.

What a truly sad state of affairs.

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
Given the last title Warren was creative director for, what the initial pitch was, and what arrived, Argos may turn out to be a charming Risk of Rain 2 clone.

That description just keeps this fresh:

The Buck stops at the top, Warren needs to stop being a loser and accept responsobility for his Fuck Ups, he needs to stop holding up the Victim card each time he is challenged for his mistakes, in short, he needs to fuck off forever and stop messing in future gaming francises and never come back ever again.
We praise talent here, not Has Been's.

Is this really the name of it now? FFS, how stupid can they be?

ARGOS? this is the brand name of a UK possibly whole European one cheap electrical goods store ... Think Woolworths with a discount or Pound Shop, it just reeks of low quality already.

Possibly, he/they have not heard of this cheap home goods brand name and I can imagine they are highly unlikely to be challenged by the name, but you never really know? At the end of the day.

I do praise talent when I see it but also realise talent does not hang around forever, amongst naturally talented game makers, we are never going to see the likes of Ultima Underworlds 1 and 2, SS 1 and 2 or even the first two Thief games again. what talent created those brilliant products in the first place has now been flushed down the toilet bowl and wont come back, ever to be seen again.

I mean, imagine if some developer were to call a new game .... WALMART and expect it to be taken seriously ... it's beyond stupid, isn't it?, yet that thats what these clowns seem determined to do, nobody wants this, nobody was asked bit its like this is what we are getting and like it or not.

What a truly sad state of affairs.

You're somehow overreacting with the name, yet also spot on. Sounds like a fuckin gas station.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
The Buck stops at the top, Warren needs to stop being a loser and accept responsobility for his Fuck Ups, he needs to stop holding up the Victim card each time he is challenged for his mistakes, in short, he needs to fuck off forever and stop messing in future gaming francises and never come back ever again.
We praise talent here, not Has Been's.

It would be nice if this was the timeline where in the last two decades ex-Origin didn't mean EA Play and some asshole who was going to crowdfraud you because no publishers wanted to work with them for obvious reasons. Peter Molyneux, Chris Roberts, Richard Garriott, Paul Neurath, Warren Spector, etc. Everything is never their fault, always the publisher's, even when there isn't a publisher involved and worse shit tricks are pulled.

Some idiots will still believe them even now.
tJUQ4JM.png

Edit: Oh FFS...

You're somehow overreacting with the name, yet also spot on. Sounds like a fuckin gas station.

I just did a USPTO search. OSE really are betting on those making it through the approval and contesting phase, and these have Paul Neurath's signatures on them so it's been vetted all the way to the top!

YxCijgm.png

79z0ebo.png

Well, from looking at the other contested and likely refused marks, that was apparently $2100 wasted. Gosh, anyone else want to trust these guys with money?

Here's a freebie: Totally Authentic Fantasy Fighting Emergent Realm

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I must be missing something. If they had the money to... do whatever this is... why'd they sell off the sequel rights to a beloved IP (that they were graciously donated by NightDive lmao) to the Chinese communist party?

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
But are the System Shock sequel rights really worth enough to fund two games? Thick as Thieves and Argos? System Shock is a prestigious IP but it doesn't seem like it would be something with mass market appeal or massive name recognition that Tencent can make bank from. Both games are also sounding much more ambitious (read: expensive) than Underworld Ascendant was, seems like a lot of focus on multiplayer components.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
But are the System Shock sequel rights really worth enough to fund two games? Thick as Thieves and Argos? System Shock is a prestigious IP but it doesn't seem like it would be something with mass market appeal or massive name recognition that Tencent can make bank from. Both games are also sounding much more ambitious (read: expensive) than Underworld Ascendant was, seems like a lot of focus on multiplayer components.
Alas, from what I've understood, the (FPS) immersive sim is the most costly and the least profitable genre.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I must be missing something. If they had the money to... do whatever this is... why'd they sell off the sequel rights to a beloved IP (that they were graciously donated by NightDive lmao) to the Chinese communist party?

Perhaps they don't care about the System Shock IP in the first place. After all back in the day they didn't even make System Shock 2, they just handed the project to Irrational and that was 4 years after the first game while LGS was doing other projects. On the other hand Irrational wanted to make a System Shock 2 to the point where they were about to use a different name and antagonist but still practically do the same game game they ended up making before getting to use the IP.

I think people overestimate how much the "original developers" really wanted to make a System Shock 3 - or really how much developers (outside of the marketing side) care about existing IPs in general. If they wanted to make a game like System Shock they wouldn't get the names stop them, they'd just make Blastem Bloke against Thodan or whatever.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Likely not enough for funding two games (and Warren's game sounds pretty big), but probably enough for making meaty demos to lure investors and publishers.

And for the Thick game, if it was originally developed as a D&D game I'd assume that it was funded by WotC while it was developed as a D&D game. If then, yeah, they probably have to repay the cost with revenues from Thick, but development was partially funded anyway. (If my assumption here is right this is SS3-Starbreeze thing all over again.)

Eli_Havelock

Learned
I'd say they have money because they sold off System Shock and Otherside trademark. (In case you missed they sold the trademark "Otherside Entertainment" to NFT apes.)

... What are these crackheads doing?!

I just checked TESS and you're absolutely correct, and it was on May 17, 2022. Y'know, I'm starting to get an idea of the real reason why LGS had such interesting IP problems.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Legendary Designer Warren Spector on His Return to AAA Gaming With Argos: Riders on the Storm

The Deus Ex mastermind is back and says, “I’m a relentless advocate for immersive sims.”

By Ryan McCaffrey

Posted: Nov 4, 2022 4:00 pm

I’ve interviewed Warren Spector – the legendary game designer behind such seminal works as Deus Ex, System Shock, Ultima Underworld, and many more – many times during my 20-year career, most recently during a career-spanning IGN Unfiltered conversation in 2017. Since then, though, he’s mostly laid low, teaching game design courses at the University of Texas. But Spector, a 40-year industry veteran, is back with something to prove: that he can do multiplayer.

“I’m a relentless advocate for immersive sims,” he said. “I’ve been thinking for years now: ‘What is the next step in immersive sims?’ I think I've figured that out.” His answer is a multiplayer immersive sim, in the same vein as the games that made him a critical darling. The name of the project is Argos: Riders on the Storm, and beyond that…we don’t really know anything else yet. And Spector wasn’t ready to share any details, other than to say, “It’s about time I tried multiplayer.” But he was more than happy to discuss his philosophy on this project and what multiplayer means to him in the context of the games he likes to make and play.

Dungeons and Dragons came up a lot. “We would not be talking if not for Dungeons and Dragons,” he said, emphasizing how the D&D experience is fundamental to his game-design ethos. He went on to add that he wants to give players the same feeling he had the first time he played D&D. “That idea that everyone becomes an author is super powerful.” He expanded on this, suggesting that if he doesn’t bring anything new to the table with Argos, then it’s time for him to hang it up. “I am a firm believer that every game has to have one thing that no one’s ever seen or done in a game before,” Spector said. “I promise you that the game we’re working on now will do that.”

“I am a firm believer that every game has to have one thing that no one’s ever seen or done in a game before.” -Warren Spector

“We” is OtherSide Entertainment, the Boston-based development house founded by longtime Spector collaborator Paul Neurath. The studio was founded in 2013, with Spector joining in 2016 as the head of a second team based out of Austin. The company’s most notable release was 2018’s Ultima Underworld spiritual sequel Underworld Ascendant, which Spector did not direct.

But back to the new game. Spector did give one hint aside from multiplayer (which he indirectly made quite clear will be a small-scale affair – nothing with dozens or hundreds of players), saying that he and the development team have been playing a lot of two games in particular lately. “There’s an awful lot of Deep Rock Galactic being played,” Spector noted. “Little bit of Dying Light 2 in there that’s getting a lot of play [as well].” Then he spoke a bit more conceptually, but also more confidently: “If people want ‘unique and innovative', even I look at what we’re doing and think we’re crazy. The team is accomplishing more than I asked.”

How does this relate to Argos’ multiplayer core? “The idea is to empower players to create their own experiences and tell their own stories,” Spector said. “There are a lot of interesting possibilities in the immersive-sim space. We can empower the players in the same way that we did in the single-player space.”

When I brought up his unmatched longevity in the game industry, Spector didn’t shy away from addressing his age head-on. “I’m pretty sure I’m the oldest person still involved in active game development,” he said matter-of-factly. “The key is continuing to learn. The world is different now than it was five years ago. There’s constant learning.”

“There are a lot of interesting possibilities in the immersive-sim space.”

Even after four decades in development, though Spector was certain of one thing as he embarks on bringing the immersive sims he helped establish into a new multiplayer era: “We’re not a solved problem,” he says of making games.

We’ll have much more on Argos: Riders on the Storm as soon as Spector is ready to share more details.

throwing-up-jpg.29181

Ash

Arcane
“I’ve been thinking for years now: ‘What is the next step in immersive sims?’ I think I've figured that out.” His answer is a multiplayer immersive sim

From what I know about multiplayer, it's inherently un-immersive. Not that immersion is the be-all-end-all of the immersive sim, but as the name implies, it's pretty darn important. What the hell is he thinking? He can't be this out of touch. Maybe I'm just not seeing the bigger picture or he has some genius innovation in mind, but is he factoring in that the social component is huge, which takes you out of the game considerably; A portion of your focus goes to the other player/s. You show off to each other. You discuss things unrelated to the game. You compete with each other. Argue over loot and other trivial things. Players do wacky shit like teabagging, spamming animations because it looks funny, griefing, trolling and more. Multiplayer simply creates this massive divide between you and the game in terms of focus, emotional investment and immersion to the point that this proposed concept of Spector's is fucking laughable. Nobody ever plays a multiplayer game and states "wow this is so immersive!". This is NOT the next step for the immersive sim, the next step is games like Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Arx Fatalis et al but bigger, deeper and more refined, which we're still waiting for circa 1999-2002 or so. So much so that I took it upon myself to try to tackle the task in the form of an extensive mod. That was literally what motivated me from the beginning (alongside the mass selling out and decline).

Same shit, different day: DECLINE

By all means, prove me wrong Spector.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom