Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Arkane Studios 20th Anniversary and Noclip Documentary

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The System Shock games were also commercially unsuccessful.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Evil Within was a big hit back then lots of people were desperate to finally get a good horror game after seeing what happened to RE and SH.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Evil_Within
Sales
The Evil Within was the second best selling game in the United Kingdom for all-formats during the week of its release.[54] In the United States, the game was the third best selling game of October 2014. The game set the record for the highest-selling first month of sales for a new survival horror intellectual property (IP),[55] but the record was later broken by Dying Light, when it released in January 2015.[56]

Dishonored 3 seems unlikely, as far as I know, they never had big plans for the future of that IP. Prey's ending makes a sequel impossible in my opinion. I just hope Deathloop will be as interesting and unique as their other games.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Dishonored 3 seems unlikely, as far as I know, they never had big plans for the future of that IP. Prey ending makes a sequel impossible in my opinion. I just hope Deathloop will be as interesting and unique as their other games.
Prey 2 is pretty much confirmed in Doom Eternal. Deathloop and Prey 2 are next games. Dishonored 3 comes after.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
It's an easter egg I really don't know why people read so much into it.
2 Prey or not 2 Prey. C'mon. It's more than a hint.

Nano and Wunder are ...

7af09e7631a56b9.gif

Last edited:

Curratum

Prey is a terrible game. Does anyone have a Venn diagram of the people who worked on both Dish 2 and Prey because one game is astronomically, immeasurably better than the other...

Dodo1610

Arcane
Prey is a terrible game. Does anyone have a Venn diagram of the people who worked on both Dish 2 and Prey because one game is astronomically, immeasurably better than the other...
Prey was made in Austin, Dishonored 2 in Lyon.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
People have been foretelling the death of the Immersive Sim genre since Looking Glass folded, but it keeps going, and keeps on having enough occasional big hits. It's a minority taste, sure, but it's still a fairly sizeable minority, and in real terms that's still quite a lot of people.

I would encourage all prospective makers of Immersive Sims to try and squeeze in the time and effort to make their games mod-friendly, if they can - even build the game from the ground up with that intent.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
People have been foretelling the death of the Immersive Sim genre since Looking Glass folded, but it keeps going, and keeps on having enough occasional big hits.
Please list these immersive sims you talk about that came between 2000 to 2020 with the exception of Arkane. If you say Bioshock I am gonna whack you!

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
People have been foretelling the death of the Immersive Sim genre since Looking Glass folded, but it keeps going, and keeps on having enough occasional big hits.
Please list these immersive sims you talk about that came between 2000 to 2020 with the exception of Arkane. If you say Bioshock I am gonna whack you!

Look, I would love every game to be as fiddly as System Shock I or Arx Fatalis, but all things considered games like Bioshock are close enough for jazz :)

Deus Ex HR and MD. New HITMAN games kinda scratch that itch for me too, much more than Bioshock ever came close.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Deus Ex HR and MD. New HITMAN games kinda scratch that itch for me too, much more than Bioshock ever came close.
I can agree with Deus Ex games but definitely not new Hitman.
The new hitman is scripted to an incredible extent, they don't run on universal timer like the older Hitman games, instead they work off trigger points.

OG Hitman games I accept as an immersive sim.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
All these narratives they are pushing with the Noclip doc and 20th anniversary campaign say Arkane will keep make "immersive" first-person action games with systemics and "weirdness". Bethesda still intend to market Arkane like that.

Also I just noticed that, in the 20 anniversary art, there are runes from Arx Fatalis around Corvo's mask. That's nice touch. (I was wondering if different colors of some runes mean something. Maybe some hidden message using the meanings of the runes. But it seems not.)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This isn't the first time Arx Fatalis has been patched many years after its release. There was also a patch in 2011 (I think alongside the source code release). Somebody at Arkane stills knows his way around that source code.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Arkane is still a small studio with less than 200 people with Austin and Lyon combined (even indie dev like Larian has over 300devs today) so, in theory, they can produce games that don't need to sell millions of copies.

Zariusz

Arbiter
So we could have "Cooking headcrabs with father Grigori"...

:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom