Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkham/Cthulhu boardgames

Silva

Arcane
Just ordered Arkham Horror and it's expansion. A friend has Mansions of Madness, which we play monthly, and I wanted to diversify our games.

Any tips for a noob? I've heard the recommended starter scenario, "Approach of Ratatosk" is actually very hard, and one should start with the "Feast of Urmungandr" instead. Is that right?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Arkham Horror is pretty fun, it' been a dogs age since I had a chance to play it. Which expansion did you get, some of them are pretty fucking broken. It's probably best to run the base game afew times before you mix in the expansion stuff.

Silva

Arcane
Arkham Horror is pretty fun, it' been a dogs age since I had a chance to play it. Which expansion did you get, some of them are pretty fucking broken. It's probably best to run the base game afew times before you mix in the expansion stuff.
You must be referring to 2nd edition. I got the 3rd edition base game plus the Dead of Night expansion.

Played a couple games already and I enjoyed it pretty much, but I wonder if it's replay value may be low due to it's narrative element.

There's a new, big box expansion coming:

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You must be referring to 2nd edition. I got the 3rd edition base game plus the Dead of Night expansion.

Played a couple games already and I enjoyed it pretty much, but I wonder if it's replay value may be low due to it's narrative element.

There's a new, big box expansion coming:

Ah, I didn't realize they had a new edition out.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
So im assuming were discussing the FF line of cthulhu? Arkham files line its called or something.

Now theres both an arkham horror board game and a card game. In fact there exists 3 versions of the board game.
I played 1st back in the 80s, but dont really remember it.
2ns edition sort of started up FFs rise to gaming top or infamy - mileage may bla bla. It oozes atmosphere, but is a meandering unfocused affair. Its fun though.
3rd edition came out a few years back. The good newd is that it is no lomget meandering, but the streamlining seems to have killed off the gameplay, and reduced the game to a series of must-do mopping up operations - it feels like losing free will or lose the game. I spld mine after playing it once.

Arkham Horror card game is great. Its a very narrative drive card game with story variation and som neat deck building and atmosphere.
The rules bogs the game down somewhat, and the strict turn events leads to errors by players, since the rulebook gets slightly murky at times.
Its great though. Expensive but great.

Then theres eldritch horror, which is a globetrotting better version of Arkham horror board game....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom