Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ARMA 3

Dayyālu

Arcane
Cold War Crisis. I doubt you'll find the full campaign though, all MP mods.

EDIT: Went by memory, dunnow if that's the correct name. Will check later.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Ah I see 37,578 mods - 0 self contained campaigns. I guess I'm gonna spent the next 30 years trying them out.

Direwolf

Arcane
What about the original islands? Don't really care about voice-overs. Just decent length, coherent story and good gameplay.

bonescraper

What about the original islands? Don't really care about voice-overs. Just decent length, coherent story and good gameplay.
Vanilla Arma 3 has a lengthy campaign, and it's quite good imo (though nothing beats original OPF). There's also a good user made prequel campaign. The single missions are also quite good and diverse. The downside is that you won't get to use any of the DLC assets such as new rifles, helicopters etc.

speaking of the campaign: i tried the extended demo and i was going to dish some money out. then i met the first enemies. i couldn't get past the third, i'd always die, no space to manouver, no way to hit him reliably. was it because the infamous bohemia interactive protection system or did i just suck because i didn't know something very important that the game fails to tell?

bonescraper

You couldn't get past the third what? Enemy? It's a true sandbox game not a linear popamole shooter, what the hell are you talking about?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You couldn't get past the third what? Enemy? It's a true sandbox game not a linear popamole shooter, what the hell are you talking about?
He pirated the game and the DRM kicked in (it's pretty ingenious, it runs the game, but lowers your aim with time to the point you can't shoot any enemy with anything).

no, that's why i'm not sure: my aim was relatively fine and i wasn't being instagibbed from space, it was just very hard to crawl into the right position to have an advantage and i hadn't the patience to try after the third attempt. it could easily be this is not the kind of game for me, like ark because of its "shitting in my own hands every 5 minutes" mechanics. maybe i was missing some commands combo like "lay down, iron sight, firm grip, hold your breath, stop your heart, become one with weapon", or just using the radio to tell the bots to flank/attack for me, because i suck, and then it'd be a huge waste of money to buy the game and find out i actually do.
i really want to spend my money on this, but i can't know for sure if it's going to be worth it.

bonescraper

So what's your problem exactly, you can't hit anyone because of the DRM or can't you just "crawl into position"? Do you really even have to kill that "third enemy"? Don't you have grenades/grenade launcher? Are you in a fucking building? How the hell one guy can pin you and your entire team down? Can't you just go around? Use cover? Enter a nearby forest? It's like you're describing Call of Duty.

bonescraper

Yeah, i'm the retarded one :lol:

Though i completed the campaign some 2 years ago, i'm pretty sure you don't have a team with you at the begining.

Here's the first mission. Show me where they touched you.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
As I recall, there was a slight learning curve before I figured out "how not to die". You'll still die sometimes of course, but it gets easier when you learn how and where to move and to keep in mind that recon and situational awareness is more important than the shooting.

If I feel like a bit of single-player I usually play mbrdmn's Dynamic Recon Ops that were mentioned on this page. He's also made Dynamic Combat Ops for larger scale single-player operations.

The most fun is generally not single-player though. Here are some European "just show up and play (with the right mods installed, follow the instructions)"-communities for reference:

https://www.fuckknows.eu/
http://teamonetactical.com/
http://www.folkarps.com/

And a Swedish one:
https://www.anrop.se/

Fuck Knows is pretty huge, and have games going every night.

There's also 77th JSOC's public servers for large-scale enforced somewhat tactical group play, which don't require any mods at all.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The problem I have right now that it feels like playing a flight sim, taking out the fun. I can hop right in a campaign mission but there are so many things that I still have to practice. And it feels like going in a plane to Afghanistan and get in the fight without any training. Having said that surviving and hitting enemies was the least problem because compared to human players, the AI is slow reacting as fuck.

Anyway, so far the engine is really convincing, now I wish someone makes a game mode that I like.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
Some choice mods:
Dynasound 2 replaces gun, bullet, and explosion sounds. Highly recommended if you think the default sounds are lacking in punch.
Enhanced Soundscape makes gun sounds echo on hills.
ShackTac UI shows where your team mates are in a radius around you, useful in multiplayer and singleplayer with AI squad members.

And of course: Advanced Combat Environment 3, ACE. Just about all non-public multiplayer I've come across uses ACE. There are too many features to mention here, but one I really like for singleplayer is the addition of wind and ammo-types affecting bullets and high powered scopes being adjusted in MRADs; it makes the experience of playing a marksman or sniper more involved than simply setting a range in 100 meter increments. Also has a much more involved damage and medic system for players; this conflicts with the Dynamic Recon Ops revive system though (delete the ACE's medic .pbo files to play DROps with ACE).

Most everything else I've played with have been equipment and assets (RHS is a staple for US and Russian 1980s-contemporary forces) and terrain mods, plus Task Force Radio, but that's multiplayer only.

Anyway, so far the engine is really convincing, now I wish someone makes a game mode that I like.
What would that look like, and does it have to be singleplayer? Did you try Dynamic Recon Ops? As you can kit yourself out in the virtual arsenal with any equipment, it's a good option to try stuff out and it also lets you use/fight any factions from mods like RHS and almost all available terrains from mods. If multiplayer, TvT (King of the Hill is pretty popular) or vs AI?

bought. because i've had a terrible, terrible, horrible, awful week and i felt i needed to suffer more.

really really must have single player mods? gameplay mods, i don't need my bullets to make echo on hills.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
The only gameplay mod that matters is ACE, linked above. Better to get used to vanilla first though.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
Ey any ppl playing this multi? How does it compare to previous Armas? Worth a buy?
Yes. I haven't played the previous Armas, but Arma 3 is great with anywhere from 20-70 people in coop. I've less experience with TvT.

For trying the game out on a public server, I'd recommend 77th JSOC's Invade&Annex server 1, 2. They enforce team play.

To really get at the meat of what the game can be, you should play with a community that does Zeus-game-mastered missions. Here it's best to first join an open community (i.e. read the rules, download the mod set, then just show up and don't be an idiot) like fuckknows.eu or similar. Fuck Knows plays every day, and often has 60-70 people on for the night's first mission (last I played with them, at least).

The game's modding community is alive and well, we're still getting great new maps, equipment, vehicles, uniforms, etc.

I agree. Join the fun. This already has all things improved from previous entries (cluster bombs, working ejections, etc.). The amount of mods and content is amazing - you can for example play the original OFP campaign. I personally like the Ravage mod - it's a single-player DayZ which you can fine-tune to your likings and play on any map you want (like Chernobyl Zone).

Where else can you compare which bunker has a better playmate from year 1967 after raiding Vietcong camp or do whatever the fuck you want?

CreamyBlood

Arcane
The game is highly moddable. Make one to keep track of your ammo. Like this machine gun:

latest

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom