Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ARMA 3

Joghurt

Augur
Tried the torrented version. Optimization is quite good and runs pretty much the same as A2 on my system and since it is alpha they will probably optimize it even more for the full version. Finished infantry showcased mission, loved the new more fluid movement and mouse contorls and right after the first showcase mission bought the alpha. Worth every dollar.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
:what:

So you guys are saying that an Arma game is well optimized, not very buggy, and actually fun to play? This is very troubling. We've already paid the price of the new Thief for the Torment kickstarter's success; who knows what this will require of us. Breaking news: Eador: Masters of the Broken World confirmed to have real-time combat and romances?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anybody got any invites lying around?

We didn't get them yet.
:( I'm seriously thinking about buying it.

I did buy it, and it definitely seems worth the 25€ if they fix up everything and add more content. The gameplay is fun but nowhere near as realistic as the hype makes it out to be. It's definitely a game and not a military sim. Graphics are brilliant as the video shows, and runs perfectly fine on Ultra on my PC (apart from multiplayer), smoother than Crysis. The sound is done properly and you can clearly hear where shots are coming from. The free Alpha keys aren't for the same version, they're for the "Alpha Lite" and haven't been issued on Steam yet, it's a version which doesn't include multiplayer.

Which is maybe not a bad thing as the multiplayer is broken as hell at the moment. Random slowdowns when more than about 4 people are on screen (which doesn't happen with NPC's in single player), half the time the people in vehicles look dead, sometimes when driving you FALL THE FUCK OUT for no reason, etc. It gets pretty hilarious sometimes, like I just saw a guy driving a quad-bike while lying down, or a truck in front of me with the same guy falling out every few meters and driving over him again and again and again.

Strangely, I haven't encountered any major bugs in the single player "showcases" at all, and I've completed all 4 of them.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
If the 'Lite' version doesn't have multiplayer then there is no point to get an invite because I might as well do the Polish thing.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It the 'Lite' version doesn't have multiplayer then there is no point to get an invite because I might as well do the Polish thing.
do that, i just pirated it to check it out if it runs on my PC (it seems to have similar system requirements to arma 2). there seems to be not much interesting stuff in the alpha (not that i expected anything else), but it does show how different it feels from arma2. if you like it you can buy it anytime anyway.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Umm, never mind what I just said. I will need that invite, a decision came from above.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
shooting feels tighter.

commands are the convoluted fuck up they've always been.

Looks alright on high, nice and clean which is what you want considering you'll be aiming at pixels in the distance.

MetalCraze

Arcane
He says the island is 20km² and the full game is 270km². But the website says the island is about 15% of the whole game area, so someone cannot into maths.
Yes. You. Because game area also extends into the sea and 20 and 270 are just landmass. Likewise Chernarus is ~170 sq. km of landmass so Lemnos should be pretty hugeass.

The scuba diving showcase was actually p. good. Great daylight stealth mission, especially on veteran.

this series is still lightyears ahead of the competition, for what that's worth.
The problem is that the competition died with Ghost Recon (which wasn't much of a competition to begin with). The only competition it has is VBS2... by the same developer.

Nobody has balls today to compete. Takedown and Ground Branch are bordering vaporware and they are a competition to old SWAT and R6 :(

So you guys are saying that an Arma game is well optimized, not very buggy, and actually fun to play? This is very troubling. We've already paid the price of the new Thief for the Torment kickstarter's success; who knows what this will require of us. Breaking news: Eador: Masters of the Broken World confirmed to have real-time combat and romances?

There are bugs and it crashes a few times at launch for me before it actually launches. Bugs however are connected mostly to fluff (like rabbits opening doors, fish swimming on the coast), infantry gameplay is rather quite fine. Also it appears they have a feature with you catching fire from burning stuff but it isn't finished yet so if you will catch fire your soldier will start doing harlem shake-like animation.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Yes. You. Because game area also extends into the sea and 20 and 270 are just landmass. Likewise Chernarus is ~170 sq. km of landmass so Lemnos should be pretty hugeass.

Nice try. The website mentions only 2 islands, 1 being Stratis at 20, and Altis at 270km², Making the full game 290km². 20/290 is not even 7 percent. Unless you're going to tell us Stratis has more sea area than land and Altis none, there's no way this island is 15 percent of the area or they're lying about the size of the second island.

MetalCraze

Arcane
He doesn't say full game is 270. He says the other island is 270. Landmass.

With the seabed it's 900 actually.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
So then you're only proving my point. If it's 900, 20 is a far smaller percentage of that, 2.2%
Like I said, they cannot into maths.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Don't forget that Stratis has seabed too. It's rather cool. Shipwrecks, fishes, turtles. Supercavitation ammo included.

I also like how if you are not wearing divers equipment not only you can drown due to the lack of air supply (naturally), your vision also gets badly blurred. But get diver's equipment and you are all set.
Cool shit is how drowning is voiced. First soldier is ok then you can gradually hear him getting out of breath and before he dies he starts swallowing water. I think diver's equipment also lets you swim faster. And those waves man, pulling you up and down during stormy weather.

Can't wait till they add underwater vehicles. There also will be a sub but most likely you won't be able to use it. Would be cool if it could attack though.

potatojohn

Arcane
They have nerfed the AI a lot. I just wiped out an infantry squad at night with an unscoped, unsilenced gun.

At first I thought opfor didn't have nvgs, but nope, they all had them.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Don't forget that Stratis has seabed too. It's rather cool. Shipwrecks, fishes, turtles. Supercavitation ammo included.

I also like how if you are not wearing divers equipment not only you can drown due to the lack of air supply (naturally), your vision also gets badly blurred. But get diver's equipment and you are all set.
Cool shit is how drowning is voiced. First soldier is ok then you can gradually hear him getting out of breath and before he dies he starts swallowing water. I think diver's equipment also lets you swim faster. And those waves man, pulling you up and down during stormy weather.

Can't wait till they add underwater vehicles. There also will be a sub but most likely you won't be able to use it. Would be cool if it could attack though.

I like the underwater parts, or at least the principle of it, but the way he "disarms" mines just seems wrong. It's like he just pushes it for half a second and the mine is magically inactive... Maybe it's just the alpha.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It seems to be a rather generic "use" animation (you can see it when taking ammo from a box f.e.). In E3 demos it was taking a longer time to disarm them (but they were using kinda crappy A2 anim for that at the time) so maybe they will replace it.

Same as with grenades. Lead designer stated they will add the cooking animation so throwing the grenade won't be instant.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
They have nerfed the AI a lot. I just wiped out an infantry squad at night with an unscoped, unsilenced gun.

How'd the squad respond when you shot the first target (if at all :lol:)?

Joghurt

Augur
They really should slow down the grenade animation - looks so fast and unrealistic. If you have a lot of grenages you can basically carpet bomb one area in a matter of seconds.

potatojohn

Arcane

How'd the squad respond when you shot the first target (if at all :lol:)?
Seems the same as in ArmA 2... some prone, others run around, etc.

One thing I did notice is that squads seem to split up into two fire teams, one trying to get closer to you and one sniping/suppressing from afar.

The AI was fuck-all terrible in all ARMA games so I don't expect any improvements in this one as well.

At least they don't detect you through house walls like in Cold War I hope.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
AI needs to have advantage against the player if you want a semblance of challange.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Great job BI :salute:
1232014515_215_46896b1c07250.gif

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Figures that Skyway would be praising this game to heaven.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom