Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Armed Fantasia and Penny Blood - dynamic Kickstarter underway

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Well, they're at it. Kinda pricey as it comes down about $80 to support both games.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublekickstarter/armed-fantasia-and-penny-blood

And trailers proper:

8e81dc227c93c067e3115ee964579ad5_original.png

This campaign uses three meters; one for Armed Fantasia, one for Penny Blood, and the Combo Meter. If fans pledge for one game (or both!), that game’s specific stretch goal meter will fill based on the value of that pledge and unlock new content, just like in other campaigns.

But unlike other campaigns, fans pledges will also add to the Combo Meter for the same value, slowly unlocking new content for BOTH games. So by simply backing the game(s) you want to support, you’ll be helping to add to two great games and supporting other backers too!

c1a0dd87effb05a096df9f961554ab28_original.png

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
$110 pledged for physical copies of both.

I liked Wild Arms so Armed Fantasia as a spiritual successor seems great.

But what I care more about is Penny Blood because I love Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 (3 way okayish).
I still replay SH1 and 2 from time to time. Great jrpgs.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I really don't like the typical kickstarter of:
"Here is a set amount that will be practically useless unless a publisher steps in".

They can make 5 million but even if no publisher is interested,the project simply dies and the money is wasted.
Just look at scam citizen.How many publishers are lining up to copy it even though it broke records?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Field test gameplay. Just some running and jumping, with a tune playing.

Terra

Cipher
Have there actually been any JRPG spiritual successor/revival via Kickstarter success stories yet that actually made it to the finish line?
Eiyuden is looking promising yeah, but the only notable examples that come to mind besides that were the scams; Project Phoenix & Unsung Story.

While I'm intrigued by both games here, given the apparent lack of JRPGs KS projects actually delivering, plus the fact every kickstarter project's price point collapses on itself to a mere pittance a few months after release, I'll probably just wish this one well and observe from afar.

Amurada

Educated
Looking forward to both of these. Wild Arms has always had some neat mechanical intricacies that kept the games relatively engaging. WA 1, 3, 5, & XF were my primary experiences with the series, with all but the first one being quite notable games. At first, I assumed Armed Fantasia's devs were biting off more than they can chew when stating that they wanted to create an open world experience who's breadth would amaze players -- Xenoblade already exists, and there's no way you're competing with the scale of a first-party title like that (only played XB1, and it was quite shite however). After that little field test showcase, maybe they actually are capable of doing such a thing. If they can bring in WA3's desert tank, and expand upon the limited amount of depth they gave that into this title, it could be pretty neat. Its a shame that the grid system isn't coming back; it was never great, but there was alotta potential there, hell, they already improved from WA4's implementation in WA5 -- still wasn't phenomenal, but it was quite enjoyable, even though they got rid of the Vitality mechanic and temp Max HP loss, which were great additions to WA3. The role change that was unlocked may be a reprise of Wild Arms' 3 custom class system? A mechanic that while appreciated, isn't a vital reprisal for me, it didn't really amount to much. I'm more interested in gun customization coming back, with increased emphasis on the choices you make, ammo capacity was neat, but it only ever offered a slight inconvenience, it was never dire.

Shadow Hearts has always been pretty fun as well, SH3 being my favorite -- both due to the more lighthearted 'shonen' nature of it, and the increased emphasis in difficulty. SH 2/3 implemented a more neat synchronization mechanic for battles, but it was never truly fleshed out. They probably won't bring it back, instead, they seem to be reprising a variation on the circle gimmick. A bit of a shame, since that hasn't done much other than create some variance in battles if you put on the hard mode version of it, that cancels your attack if you miss a single instance. Monster transformation also seems to be coming back, another mechanic that really doesn't seem to mean much. Its also kinda nice that they're further fleshing out the detective aspect of the game introduced in SH3. Seems as though it may be more than just the fun logic puzzle minigames that were in SH3. Could be a welcome aside to the main game. Overall, I hope that the game maintains the humorous, light tone that SH3 had. The first game had some levity, but I really enjoyed SH3's admixture much more than the other two games.

Definitely looking forward to this Kickstarter more than any of the other JRPG KS titles that have been announced throughout the years. I actually give a fuck about the IPs getting spiritual sequels this time around.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also care about the original IPs, but I don't have enough faith in these guys to do something great. I hope that I am wrong, and I will follow the development. Another thing that made me less likely to back is the double-Kickstarter form. In the end, I hope the campaign turns out great, and that it allows them to find a publisher who is willing to splash some cash on the development of these games.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
They seems to reduce the goal needed to achieve some KS goals. Seems like the initial USD goal for stretch goals was very high due to weak yen or something and now they relent and changed the goal to be in yen equivalent instead of USD equivalent?

HoboForEternity

LIBERAL PROPAGANDIST
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i hope it's good but most of the recent "old guard" Kickstarter projects has been either underlivered or underwhelming. few cases of success like bloodstained are the exception

Derringer

Prophet
Wild Arms is an ok series, the first couple of games being loose spaghetti-western tokusatsu styled Lufia clones. The first two games also have the slowest as fuck battle animations worse than most JRPGs I've ever really played on the PS1 besides FFIX (three still having long as fuck animations on the PS2 probably helped convinced someone to change the battle system to the grid). I liked the spaghetti orchestra soundtrack in the original but it got more synthetic with the second and some tracks play too much that are just aren't very good like 'Horror' (it got easier for me to play when I just started playing yamaha opn pc98 game music rips over it). The puzzles also got a little bit more tedious when they tried to make them more elaborate and contextual over the basic Zelda puzzles they tossed into the original, they're ok otherwise. It's a backlog kind of JRPG series you play after playing other games that look more entertaining.
I like Shadow Hearts mostly but that has nothing to do with Kikestarter (since I have little to no faith in any kikestarter project).

Last edited:
I wanted to give Wild Arms 2 a try because I've read good things about it, but I couldn't suffer past the 1st cave dungeon. I just couldn't bear the dry translation- you could understand the sentiments the dialogue was trying to convey but it was just lacking all charm or prose. I hope eventually we see a retranslation of the first two games.

Do any of the latter entries hold up okay? It's a series I've never really delved into.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I wanted to give Wild Arms 2 a try because I've read good things about it, but I couldn't suffer past the 1st cave dungeon. I just couldn't bear the dry translation- you could understand the sentiments the dialogue was trying to convey but it was just lacking all charm or prose. I hope eventually we see a retranslation of the first two games.

Do any of the latter entries hold up okay? It's a series I've never really delved into.
1 and 3 are my favorites. Imo, they hold up.

Terra

Cipher
Wild Arms 2's translation was atrocious, especially the Liz & Ard characters, holy shit, reading that tripe would have you thinking you were in the midst of a stroke. 1 & 3 are solid, I prefer the original WA1 to the PS2 remake, personally. 4 & 5 are merely okay, they both kinda regressed into the usual kid protagonist JRPG tropes and part of the appeal of 5 is the numerous cameos of the old cast.

Derringer

Prophet
Wild Arms 2's translation was atrocious, especially the Liz & Ard characters, holy shit, reading that tripe would have you thinking you were in the midst of a stroke. 1 & 3 are solid, I prefer the original WA1 to the PS2 remake, personally. 4 & 5 are merely okay, they both kinda regressed into the usual kid protagonist JRPG tropes and part of the appeal of 5 is the numerous cameos of the old cast.
The whole liz and ard thing is a samurai gag thing with the way he sounds like he talking in poems with the traditional japanese guitar, that's why liz sounds like a retard, the script itself is just dumb and translated in a dumb way since it's supposed to look dumb. The first game also had parts that were incoherent direction-wise along with npc dialog hunting, it's probably just the games themselves since they did it in the first one to pad out the lack of content (they added a lot of bonus dungeons to 2).

Amurada

Educated
M

My favorites are Wild ARMs 3 & 5. I haven't played Wild ARMs 2 or 4, so I can't speak to them.

Wild ARMs 1 has one of the greatest opening sequences of almost any JRPG. So much so that watching my cousin play through when I was 6 made it the most fascinating game in the world. I eventually played it as an adult, and the main campaign is unfortunately just too dull to keep up with. The game really ought to have kept to the spirit of the opening chapters, but instead makes every attempt to be one of the most generic JRGPs on the market.

Wild ARMs 3 was good enough to play through to its entirety as a 12 year old bumpkin. The game has a decent exploration mechanic, coupled with Dragon Quest 1's design execution of talking to NPCs, and sussing out where to go with minimal hand holding. The battle system, while a bit basic, is made a little neat via the game's FF8 GF-lite build mechanics. ARMs customization is a neat mechanic that is squandered by the glaringly obvious character optimizations that pretty much render the open ended nature of it moot. Vitality is a pretty interesting mechanic that unfortunately undermines the game's poor difficulty. The story is just about some of the most trite anime tropes conceived (with none of the good ecchi to boot). The opening chapters are prolly the worst of the three games I've played.

Wild ARMs 5, while chock full with anime nonsense, has a somewhat endearing plot. And while the game got rid of the split opening chapters that were present in WA1/3, the opening sequence is quite charming. The game has an excellent battle system; with its only flaw being that is never quite fully realized -- which is a shame, considering this is the second outing of this new battle system. Maybe if they had made one more game, it really could've become something. As it is, the battle system keeps tedium to a minimum, and difficulty balancing is just good enough to not have things be too mundane. The vitality system is gone, and is replaced wholesale with full automatic healing after battles. This is a bit annoying, as the Vitality system in WA3 would've been much more appropriate here, since enemies hit like trucks, and having a limited pool of 'free healing' would've spiced up the combat portion of the game at least a bit. I never completed this game, but it stemmed more from life getting in the way more than anything else. Honestly, just waiting for a proper hardtype mod to compel me back into playing (something that is more than likely to never occur, I know).

Overall, I'd recommend giving the series a shot. Start with WA3 if you like games that are somewhat similar to DQ1's exploration design; and start with WA5 if you want a pretty neat combat system, a mediocre story with some endearing elements, and a great art style. Maybe play WA1, but I'd at least suggest searching for a hardtype first.

Derringer

Prophet
I'm just re-posting someone else's post from /v/ since I liked Koudelka a lot, although I don't know about kickstarter.

Looks like Penny Blood is more similar in theme to Shadow Hearts than Koudelka, which is to be expected given it's the same director. But it's a shame the 19th century literature gothic horror atmosphere of Koudelka was abandoned in Shadow Hearts, which is more like generic anime.
A kickstarter I'd really like to see Hiroki Kikuta making 1 or more of his 3 planned Koudelka sequels with the Resident Evil inspired gameplay he originally wanted for Koudelka.
>Set shortly after the events of the manga, Koudelka 2 would be set in 1900, and seen Koudelka visiting the Exposition Universelle in Paris, 1900, drawn by mysterious goings-on at one of the temporary pavilions there. Her investigation would eventually lead her to exploring the newly excavated Paris Métro subway system, and Parisian catacombs which would have become haunted by monsters and spirits, disturbed from the disruption.
>Koudelka 3 would be set in Chicago 1973, and featured Koudelka's grandson, Rodmell Koudelka*, the thirty-something anthropologist son of her daughter, Amelia Koudelka - who would also feature.
>Rodmell was to have worked for the University of Chicago. The premise of the story would be a spate of mysterious murders committed by soldiers returning from Vietnam, either possessed by evil spirits.
>Roger Bacon would also have made a return, wearing a modern suit, and assisting Rodmell in putting a stop to the evil spirits.
>Koudelka 4 would again have followed Rodmell, in 1984 on a trip to Japan, where he would visit the Asuka stones, and try to remove a powerful curse on one of his professor friends, placed on him by an evil onmyōji.
Seems that the Shadow Hearts devs tried to incorporate the part with Koudelka's (and Edward's?) child in America for their game's ending, though the story was still different, like being about a daughter instead of a son.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Koudelka is extremely niche game that has superficial connection to Shadow Hearts. Yes the gothic horror theme is interesting, but no way basing your game on an extremely niche game that most people doesn't even think exist is a good idea. Even the Shadow Heart parts of the kickstarer is far outstripped by the Wild Arms one.

Derringer

Prophet
M

My favorites are Wild ARMs 3 & 5. I haven't played Wild ARMs 2 or 4, so I can't speak to them.

Wild ARMs 1 has one of the greatest opening sequences of almost any JRPG. So much so that watching my cousin play through when I was 6 made it the most fascinating game in the world. I eventually played it as an adult, and the main campaign is unfortunately just too dull to keep up with. The game really ought to have kept to the spirit of the opening chapters, but instead makes every attempt to be one of the most generic JRGPs on the market.

Wild ARMs 3 was good enough to play through to its entirety as a 12 year old bumpkin. The game has a decent exploration mechanic, coupled with Dragon Quest 1's design execution of talking to NPCs, and sussing out where to go with minimal hand holding. The battle system, while a bit basic, is made a little neat via the game's FF8 GF-lite build mechanics. ARMs customization is a neat mechanic that is squandered by the glaringly obvious character optimizations that pretty much render the open ended nature of it moot. Vitality is a pretty interesting mechanic that unfortunately undermines the game's poor difficulty. The story is just about some of the most trite anime tropes conceived (with none of the good ecchi to boot). The opening chapters are prolly the worst of the three games I've played.

Wild ARMs 5, while chock full with anime nonsense, has a somewhat endearing plot. And while the game got rid of the split opening chapters that were present in WA1/3, the opening sequence is quite charming. The game has an excellent battle system; with its only flaw being that is never quite fully realized -- which is a shame, considering this is the second outing of this new battle system. Maybe if they had made one more game, it really could've become something. As it is, the battle system keeps tedium to a minimum, and difficulty balancing is just good enough to not have things be too mundane. The vitality system is gone, and is replaced wholesale with full automatic healing after battles. This is a bit annoying, as the Vitality system in WA3 would've been much more appropriate here, since enemies hit like trucks, and having a limited pool of 'free healing' would've spiced up the combat portion of the game at least a bit. I never completed this game, but it stemmed more from life getting in the way more than anything else. Honestly, just waiting for a proper hardtype mod to compel me back into playing (something that is more than likely to never occur, I know).

Overall, I'd recommend giving the series a shot. Start with WA3 if you like games that are somewhat similar to DQ1's exploration design; and start with WA5 if you want a pretty neat combat system, a mediocre story with some endearing elements, and a great art style. Maybe play WA1, but I'd at least suggest searching for a hardtype first.
Wild Arms 4 is basically a proto for 4 but shorter, I can't really say if it's worth playing or not or just plain frustrating with how half-assed the characters are (the enemy military are really bad shounen/gundam stereotypes but the friendly notthenemy hobo that commits a heroic sacrifice right near the end of it by punching a missile midair is voiced by Wakamoto). A lot of the main characters from the meme RPGMaker game Anonymous Agony are based off of it and the ending tried to give some of the main characters some sort of character development to salvage how retarded and 2D they come off like. 2 is enjoyable enough for the toku stuff in it and the puzzles are a proto for 3 but more unorthodox in certain bits, I'd say the plot is more involving than 1 but still kind kind of generic past the main obvious elements you'd see playing it. Lilka's cute though.

Koudelka is extremely niche game that has superficial connection to Shadow Hearts. Yes the gothic horror theme is interesting, but no way basing your game on an extremely niche game that most people doesn't even think exist is a good idea. Even the Shadow Heart parts of the kickstarer is far outstripped by the Wild Arms one.
That's typically what happens with any sort of long produced media, popularity wise, I just like Koudelka as a game since the writing is more grounded (I played Shadow Hearts 1 over a decade and a half ago and just finished Koudelka).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom