Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Art

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
This is some concept art for Ash of Gods - an upcoming tactical RPG my friends and I are working on. Let us know, what you think, please. Do you like the general direction we are going for with our art? I'll share more if you like it.

vHjb8Sr.jpg

i7au1kl.png

MR5Ndk4.jpg

KQhbZWh.jpg

VJ1ILlG.jpg

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
I guess you redrew it fine. Couldn't come up with anything of your own?
You are a nice guy, aren't you? We did develop our character independently based on a text description by our author. Still people had mentioned that similarity but we're keeping him the way he is for now.

I like 'em.
Well, cool :). We'll have more stuff to share later in the year.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
I think it looks great and you're obviously competent enough artistically that you wouldn't need to resort to stealing.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
We did develop our character independently based on a text description by our author.
Hahahaha, maybe somebody who had never painted anything in their life will belive you, but it's obvious you had copied it from the original Unity model, and that white haired woman has face and hairstyle copied from Ciri and pose from Banner saga Alette. I assume every character was was based on artwork from the internet. You can use references if you can't draw humans, but stop lying about it, people aren't as dumb as you think. Most of those pieces are passable, at least it's your desing with anatomy based on somebody's else art, but this blue dude is so similar to the original that it can be considered plagiarism. Face is clearly copied from this shot, flipped horizontally.
unity_5_the_blacksmith-1024x576.jpg

Colours are picked from Banner Saga horseborn character.
Ciri's face is copied from the first result on google image, but at least that one is rather generic looking white haired lady based on Oddleif and her clothes are different.
Also it's too noticeable that you want to imitate Banner Saga's artstyle as close a possible. It's pretty bad idea on it's own.

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
I noticed the similarities in all but the blacksmith guy, I thought he looked like the nameless one at first but I wasn't familiar with the unity blacksmith thing. Still think he looks a bit like the nameless one.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
Well, I guess there is similarity, but as I've said - we did develop our character, named Reaper btw, independently.

Here are some work in progress materials to show how he was created:

bj2jnlG.png

N4lAzMg.png

So we went through a variety of versions before the final one came into being, not just drew an exisitng character in 3D.

Mustawd

Artwork is nice even if it was stolen (hypothetically). I don't really care. Looking forward to more updates OP.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
Thank you for your support, guys.

As for the similarity to other characters/work - we do look at bunch of stuff for references/inspiration, but all the art is original :greatjob:

BTW, we've just finished the art for the main character (one of them actually) - would you want to play as him? He's supposed to be an experienced veteran but we didn't want to make him totally Rambo-like. He's also Gleda's (hot girl above) father.

NyR0H6u.png

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
remind me of tge banner saga art. i think it's the coloring. yours is less stylized, but still have similar feel
We see Banner Saga as a major inspiration - we like the art style with influences of the Japanese visual novels, classic Disney art and some medieval art (by our vision is different though - we go for more detailed characters with different colors, for example (actually we're basing our color pattern on those of XIII-XVI centuries murals and materials).

Which engine are you using ?
For the game itself we'll be using Unity.

I don't really like the brown/white hair mixture
It's too bad, I was hoping you'd like it :troll:. On a serious note - that's a greying pattern that occurs naturally in men. As for the choice of brown - we've tried out different shades and colours and felt like this one was the best. But that's only one out of 3 main protagonists - maybe you'll like the other two.
That's pretty nice, thank you (though we actually expect to have a version of a solid quality on Day 1).

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
Actually, I feel like I should elaborate on the topic of coloring to be clear.
Color schemes are actually a large theme in its own right. We have spent 1.5 months developing a large coloring guide for future reference basing on various sources:
  • The skin colors and shades are based of those in Hayao Miyazaki's art;
  • For materials - we have several color schemes for characters from different continents - Thorn Brenin, coming from the Southern Kingdoms, was painted with colors that were used in medieval Europe (in murals of XIII-XV centuries in particular);
  • We have also accounted for different meanings colors have in cultures around the world (in this case, for example, red, as in western culture, is associated with bravery and valor).
We put a lot of time and effort into every aspect of the game to be sure we're delivering quality stuff in every part of it :love:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We see Banner Saga as a major inspiration - we like the art style with influences of the Japanese visual novels, classic Disney art and some medieval art (by our vision is different though - we go for more detailed characters with different colors, for example (actually we're basing our color pattern on those of XIII-XVI centuries murals and materials).
i see. i find TBS can be very lackluster. the cahracter building lack depth, the combat system too. enjoyable game, but it can be better. the arts and animation are pretty great tho.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
i see. i find TBS can be very lackluster. the character building lack depth, the combat system too. enjoyable game, but it can be better. the arts and animation are pretty great tho.

We're very fond of their art style as well, visuals and music are marvelous.

However, for the game itself we want to do things differently:
  • we want to make combat both more challenging and varying (by having diverse classes and "magic" cards that can be used in battles)
  • we also plan to make it more rogue-like (by having permanent deaths for characters fallen in battle)
  • we're also making sure the player can actually make meaningful choices during the game (as in the beloved around here AOD, not to such a degree, obviously) so the storytelling is more engaging.
For the character development, though - it's going to be somewhat similar. It's a system typical for Japanese tactical RPGs (such as Shining Force) when each character has a pre-assigned class and can only be altered to a small degree within it. It allows for a better party balancing (so you won't run around with a party of 6 mix-maxed wizards).

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
To give you a glimpse of what the battles will look like - last week I have shared Thorn character here, specifically the way he will be shown during the dialogues. On the battlefield, just as all the other characters, he will be represented by a suchlike miniature.

yimb1HM.png

Thorn's class is the guardian and his general mission is to draw off attacks on himself, defending, counter-attacking and not letting enemies move forward. You can learn more about this and other classes on the game's website https://ashofgods.com/ash-of-gods/classes/

We plan to draw every character with this level of detail. What do you think of this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom