Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Art

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
To expand on the topic of the look of the battles: the miniatures (as the one above) will be used on the tactical battlefields.

Here you can see how one battlefiled like that is created:

The actual battle will look something like this

u3kxk4g.png

And just to be clear - all the characters will be fully animated - we're working on the animations now, here are some behind the scenes of creating the materials for the rotoscoping (it's a cheap but still offering good value way to use videos with actors to create 2D animations):

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
To expand on the topic of the look of the battles: the miniatures (as the one above) will be used on the tactical battlefields.

Here you can see how one battlefiled like that is created:

The actual battle will look something like this

u3kxk4g.png

Will there be interesting stuff on the battlefields? I don't really like the approach of having small, flat and boring battle fields surrounded by way more interesting areas.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
3 vega's from street fighter
It's mostly the mask, and the mask is actually based of a traditional african mask

3b57758b3c516dcd9c5ee187ab1b34ca.jpg

I guess there are only so many ways you can produce a mask.

Will there be interesting stuff on the battlefields? I don't really like the approach of having small, flat and boring battle fields surrounded by way more interesting areas.
In a way yes. The configuraton of the field will vary - there will be narrow bridges, different barricades and obstacles, etc. However they will probably not be interactive as that will require extra animation which is really time consuming and expensive.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
This is the final version of Dorpkhal, the antagonist who started the reaping in the game’s world. In the old times, he served as an “avatar” for his god in his native world. Now, just as other umbras do, he exercises his power the way he sees fit. Many of the ensa warriors imitate Dorpkhal's look by braiding their hair into dreadlocks and scaring their bodies.

DNqKmR1.png

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
Why are there nails in his arms?
Well, this character served as an avatar to his god, which was all about inflicting pain and suffering. This god's presense permanently left Dorpkhal with affection to those two things. The scaring, piercings and the nails are supposed to reinforce this theme in the character.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Now that it's been promoted to its own forum, could someone please change the name of this thread from "Ash of Gods - cocnept art" to "Ash of Gods - concept art"?
rating_thanks.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I.e. he's a Cenobite from Hellraiser. Anyway, if you guys are looking for a composer I might be up for it (I'm serious).

Last edited:

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
I.e. he's a Cenobite from Hellraiser. Anyway, if you guys are looking for a composer I might be up for it (I'm serious).
Thank you for the offer - but this is something we were planning to outsource early on as we we cannot do this ourselves so we already got a composer. It's actually Adam Skorupa who has composed the soundtrack for the first and second Witcher games. However, if you feel like producing something - we can definatly find a way to use it.

For example - we use stock music for this speedpaint video. It shows the creation a character named Bran Vichti. He is far from the nicest person, more of a straight up asshole, and we wanted you to be able to tell it from the first glance. So if you have some music that can reinforce that or will just go well with videos of this type - we can try to use it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sneaky Seal, I'd avoid using popular composers, they won't come up with anything interesting, not that unknown ones would, but they have a better chance to surprise you. I'll see what I can do for that character.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
I also thought of Pinhead. Probably because I watched a couple of the Hellraiser movies recently.
Remove upper robe part and add hair :p

We actually wanted to go with a different look but I guess there is still some similarity in the character design.

okay, that's almost looks like the banner saga >______>
Sorry, I tried to re-upload a link to a picture with a better resolution and messed it up so I've created a new post. It might very well be - we do like their visual style. We also base our visuals on similar sources (medieval western art, japanese visual novels, classic disney cartoons).

This is a village next to the Arch in the premises of the Ursus city. It is a scene for one of the three game's storylines and is located in the southern part of the continent, which is very similar to a medieval Europe.

6KSVAvo.jpg

Last edited:

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
At least he's "inspired by" Hellraiser and not LotR.
What's wrong with LOTR? :D

Tho with the rotoscoping it at least looks a bit like Bakshi LotR
You actually not the first person to bring up Ralph Bakshi in relation to what we do. I like his style a lot and for Ash of Gods we use the rotoscoping to create animations but we do a heavy overlay to make it look like a proper 2D animation:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom