Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arthurian Legends - Witchaven-like medieval first-person slasher

Curratum

Nothing works. Tried all sorts of setting combinations, even tried to force some things on/off in AMD's software, absolutely nothing works, the game stays stuck at an average of 30 fps, often dropping below that.

Curratum

Played more of the demo. Even IN-FUCKING-DOORS, the fps drops below 30.

I can't even comprehend how he managed to make it run that poorly. It feels like the engine only uses 1 core and 1 thread, and it's absolutely NOT made for 3D games, so having all that in it kills performance big time.

I mean, after all the engine advertises itself as "MAKE GAMES. NO CODING."

It might be a little optimistic to expect a game, a 3D one at that, to run decently when using this as its platform :negative:

Pisses me off something fierce, because the game is AMAZINGLY fun, but my head and eyes start hurting from playing at 22 fps most of the time.

Dexter

Arcane
It might be a little optimistic to expect a game, a 3D one at that, to run decently when using this as its platform :negative:

Pisses me off something fierce, because the game is AMAZINGLY fun, but my head and eyes start hurting from playing at 22 fps most of the time.
You just made me redownload the Demo to replay the first portion of the game with 2-3 enemies on screen and hopping like mad through the woods with Steam FPS counter enabled at the Top left since I didn't remember any FPS or other performance issues at all. I got a GTX1080 and i7-6700K with 32GB RAM in here and am playing at 4K with VSync enabled at a fluid 60FPS. I can only presume this might be another "AMD issue" that I run into often on forums and am glad I didn't fall for it. If you want to see what low FPS really is, try this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1099220/The_Alien_Cube/

Falksi

Arcane
Having finished this I daresay that, alongside Mundaun and Metroid Dread, this my GOTY. 'Twas a pretty pathetic year in terms of anything I'd be interested in playing of course, but I'd also say that this is among the most enjoyable of these neo-retro first person games I've played so far and I've played most of them since this 90s FPS revival began.

I like the look of the game in terms of style, but the combat itself looks jerky and shit.

What am I missing mate? It's got mostly positive vibes, so how come the combat is good and not as jerky as it looks?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
RX 570 4gb
I am using GTX 970. Supposedly this gives 11% more FPS, but 30 FPS versus 60 FPS is 50%, not 10%...

Apparently a lot of other people have FPS issue: https://steamcommunity.com/app/658890/discussions/0/2959418287745712658/

Hopefully this mean they are going to fix it.

Think they're doing their best. Issue is most of the FPS issues are caused by the engine, so they're having to wait on the engine dev for fixes.

They have promised performance improvements though.

Harthwain

Magister
I like the look of the game in terms of style, but the combat itself looks jerky and shit.

What am I missing mate? It's got mostly positive vibes, so how come the combat is good and not as jerky as it looks?
You have to dodge/block and time your attacks, so you are constantly engaged, rather than absent-mindedly clicking attack button. Combat itself is simple, but "special weapons as a resource"-approach (including the shield!) makes you use all of your arsenal, so you can't stick to a single weapon (and weapon variety is nice). Armor helps, but it doesn't make you invincible either (I think it takes some damage off of your incoming health damage, meaning you are still losing health when hit, even with 100% armor). On hard difficulty (Hail The King) fights become challenging, because you have to manage your health and healing potions aren't easy to come by and food doesn't replenish as much. By the way, it's great that you can get above 100% health, so any "leftover" food (or items) isn't wasted.

Curratum

If people on a meaty i7 with 4.0 ghz per core are running this smoothly, I can only conclude the game is running single-core, single-thread and if you don't have tons of single-core performance, you're fucked.

Steam hub. Disclosure - Snake is me and I am Snake.

6nixPcC.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ferratilis

Magister
Yup, the performance is terrible. Ryzen 5 3600 + RX 5700 XT. Tinkering with the settings didn't help, and the Freesync also doesn't help that much. The demo itself was fun, but this kind of performance is inexcusable.

Falksi

Arcane

You have to dodge/block and time your attacks, so you are constantly engaged, rather than absent-mindedly clicking attack button. Combat itself is simple, but "special weapons as a resource"-approach (including the shield!) makes you use all of your arsenal, so you can't stick to a single weapon (and weapon variety is nice). Armor helps, but it doesn't make you invincible either (I think it takes some damage off of your incoming health damage, meaning you are still losing health when hit, even with 100% armor). On hard difficulty (Hail The King) fights become challenging, because you have to manage your health and healing potions aren't easy to come by and food doesn't replenish as much. By the way, it's great that you can get above 100% health, so any "leftover" food (or items) isn't wasted.

Sold.

I'll be buying this later today then.

Curratum

Sold.

At least... Try the demo first? The framerate is insufferable. It's not low or choppy, I got to a point where now 30 fps feels smooth to my brain, just because the game runs at 20-25 for the most part...

Harthwain

Magister
Sold.

At least... Try the demo first? The framerate is insufferable. It's not low or choppy, I got to a point where now 30 fps feels smooth to my brain, just because the game runs at 20-25 for the most part...

Agreed. Check out the demo. Not only will you be able to determine whether you will like how it plays for yourself, but also test how the game works on your computer (as Curratum says, some people have issues, some don't).

Curratum

Yeah it's obviously not everyone. There's vids on YT showing buttery smooth 60 fps recordings in areas where I get 20 fps... :\

Falksi

Arcane

Sold.

1XNfD1t.gif

Harthwain

Magister
I just finished the demo and I had a blast playing it. If I were to describe Arthurian Legends in a single sentence then I think "a bloody retro FPP slasher with limited access to magic" is the best way to put it. This also proves to be a very good combination (for me at least).

- The art direction and general style Arthurian Legends goes for is pretty good. While the game is 2D and pixelized, it manages to look sharp and fakes 3D well. The game manages to mix early medieval aesthetic of human enemies with other creatures (rats, demon, hellhounds, etc.) and though I am less thrilled about such open fantasy elements, it does provide good vehicle to introduce magic and other stuff (special potions, Holy Grail, etc.).

- Somebody said the main character reminds him of Monty Python's Brave Sir Robin and... I agree with that assessment. The game doesn't seem to take itself overly seriously, but it is not a full blown parody either, which is good, because I find over-the-top supposedly comedic games to overdo it most of the time.

- There is no borderless window mode in the options/settings and you can't force it on Steam through the game's launch options (I tried, but it says something about "Invalid procedure call or argument"). I tried enabling windowed mode, but this looks just ugly with Windows panel at the bottom and game's tab at the top. I'd rather play in fullscreen, quicksave and quit instead when I have to do something outside of the game. I really hope borderless window mode is second on the to-do list.

- As I said before, the combat is simple but elegant. The only unbreakable weapon you have is the axe (and your fists). Otherwise you have to constantly manage your resources, which means durability of items, the number of limited consumables, your health and your armor. The best way to survive is by hitting enemies while not getting hit yourself. Sounds simple in theory, but in practice this is the game and ends up with you having your hands full of action. Also, what weapons are two-handed and what weapons are one-handed also matters a lot.

This - and the visuals, as well as level design - give Arthurian Legends very oldschool feeling. And I mean this as a positive statement. You are encouraged to explore levels to find secrets, which can house powerful power-ups that can give you an edge in combat (especially against more powerful enemies). There is a plenty of gore, you can enable or disable crosshairs (I disable them, because I like having to "eye" the mark when using projectile weapons), there is a whole codex with info to discover, etc.

Overall this game has my seal of approval.

Curratum

Bought full game, because I'm dumb and hoped things were really patched as dev and some people claim.

The game runs the same as the demo. Sub-30 fps everywhere.

Left a negative review, will probably refund because that's just not playable.

toughasnails

That is a bit retarded, isn't it? You had the demo, and both myself here and I guess others if you asked about it elsewhere told you that there is no difference in performance between the demo and the full game. This comes off as you buying the game just so you can post a negative review on Steam which is a dick move imo.

Curratum

No, it comes through as seeing both the dev and people on Steam telling me there have been performance improvements in the full release, which is not the case. Or maybe it is the case for people who already had normal framerates.

The engine is a pile of shit and the dev is a hack who doesn't seem to have tested the game on anything more than his own machine, given the number of people having performance issues. I can't say I feel particularly bad about leaving a negative review, to be honest.
Who the fuck uses OpenGL in 2021?

toughasnails

Looking at the list of games made with 001 Game Creator, it seems like the vast majority are 2D, side-scrollers or top-down RPG Maker-looking stuff. Why he opted for something like that is anyone's guess.

It's a shame bc the game IS great. The second episode was weaker than first with a lot of generic caverns and outdoors maps and Hadrian's Wall stage seemed like an excuse to mostly have you moving in one direction with a bunch a similar fortifications on the way. But the third episode is a return to form, the maps are much more interesting both thematically and design-wise.

Curratum

Looking at the list of games made with 001 Game Creator, it seems like the vast majority are 2D, side-scrollers or top-down RPG Maker-looking stuff. Why he opted for something like that is anyone's guess.

Given how much the game has going for it, I doubt it was made with the engine's flagship "make games, no coding" feature, but you never know...

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is admittedly a shame he didn't use something like GZDoom, performance aside it would have made the game very moddable right out the box.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Wow, that engine? I remember using that thing years ago, back when it still had a free version. The big advantage to it was that instead of actual code, you did this flowchart kind of code, where more or less everything is done for you. The problem with it was that the engine was a piece of shit, even in the editor. The editor crashed a good chunk of the time and heaven help you if you tried making an action game. Having an amount of enemies that would be reasonable in another engine would cause slowdown. Frankly, its a miracle he even finished making the game.

Curratum

I just think the engine has no culling / occlusion, it just renders the ENTIRE LEVEL when you look in any direction, so it renders ALL polys and walls and entities in your viewport, extending infinitely outward from the camera.

I tried the arena levels and in those, I actually got solid locked 60 fps, but there the whole level is ONE large room.

In regular levels, some viewing angles would yield decent fps, but that's just when you're looking at an angle that doesn't have a lot of level in that direction. Turn the camera towards the bigger chunk of the level and you're back at 20 fps. It's just so confusingly badly done :(

It's even more infuriating because the game is GREAT otherwise, but it's rendered completely unplayable by those 20-something FPS for most of your gameplay.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I just think the engine has no culling / occlusion, it just renders the ENTIRE LEVEL when you look in any direction, so it renders ALL polys and walls and entities in your viewport, extending infinitely outward from the camera.
You're probably right. The default setting in-engine is the top-down RPGmaker-style camera. Since the whole engine was based around that, for years, and 3D and first-person views were added later, it was probably never thought about. Doesn't help that this is the first notable project made in the engine, in its 15 year or so history. Don't know if it still does this, but it used to be that if you didn't have enemy corpses disappear, they'd still count as enemies, and you'd still suffer slowdown.

Curratum

You're probably right. The default setting in-engine is the top-down RPGmaker-style camera. Since the whole engine was based around that, for years, and 3D and first-person views were added later, it was probably never thought about. Doesn't help that this is the first notable project made in the engine, in its 15 year or so history. Don't know if it still does this, but it used to be that if you didn't have enemy corpses disappear, they'd still count as enemies, and you'd still suffer slowdown.

Still, though... What causes some people to have ok performance? There's videos on YT captured at 1080p 60 fps. Pagb666 has playthrough videos with normal frames.

I thought it might be an NVidia vs AMD GPU thing, but if you choose the software renderer, this should be irrelevant, so what IS it then?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom