Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arthurian Legends - Witchaven-like medieval first-person slasher

Curratum

Out of curiosity, are people who are having good performance with this running the game on a HD or a SSD? Feels silly to ask, but I've seen that issue crop up before.

I tried it on both, no difference.

I play on a system that can run Red Dead 2 on high with about 45-50 fps, and I can't hold a stable 30 on AL, usually running at an average of 20-25 maybe. :(

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there something wrong with how AMD gpus interpret certain OpenGL implementations, I just don't get it.

AMD has stupidly stupid OpenGL drivers and was like that ever since their ATI days - and now they've supposedly abandoned any OpenGL development. Remember that FPS boost i mentioned previously from my game when i implemented some basic state tracking? On Linux (with the open source Mesa OpenGL implementation instead of AMD's crappy one) the performance before my optimizations was better than the performance i got on Windows after the optimizations.

AMD has some very screwed up software culture, pretty much everything they code seems to be broken at some level (driver crashes, buggy driver UI, broken graphics APIs - recently i even had to use DXVK on Windows to get some D3D9 games to work properly because AMD's implementation had issues). Hell, even though supposedly Vulkan is largely based on Mantle (AMD's own short-lived proprietary low level graphics API), it took them months to release drivers that fully pass certification - after both Nvidia and Intel had released theirs - which is kinda sad.

On the other hand i've seen people with Nvidia GPUs mention that the game is slow on Steam's forums so i do not think it is an AMD-only issue. Though it wouldn't surprise me if it was worse on AMD.

Feels like everyone running it fine has really fat-ass CPUs, so it might have something to do with that. On the other hand, it doesn't even load up a single core/thread on my i5 fully, so I don't know what the hell.
I'm on a i5 4690 which I wouldn't really call fat-ass and it ran peachy for me too. 8 gigs of RAM and a GTX 970. Actually decided to put up a FPS counter since my definition of peachy is lower than many people and I was getting around 45fps average in the second map, which is shit performance considering the graphics but not bad enough to really be noticeable to me. It did vary a bit from area to area, entering into a building would bump it up to 60 and looking outside through the doorway of the building got it down to 35, though it jumped up to 45 when I'd step outside.

toughasnails

It puts up a decent challenge too, you can't just waltz your way through willy-nilly.

Top work.
I think I had to use most of the "toys" the game offers which is commendable. Constantly switching between weapons in combat, turning to ranged weapons for flying and ranged enemies, using traps (and i thought early on that stuff like bear traps will be a novelty item that I'll use once and then forget)... The combat never gets monotonous. He imo also struck the right balance with the runes and holy hand grenades, between their rarity and how devastating they actually are.

Curratum

Reading how fun the game is and knowing how much fun I had even with a level and a half from the demo, I'm like

zmNshrS.png

:negative:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Artwork vibe is slightly reminiscent of Witchhaven where I couldn't get past some of the character models that looked like something Ken Silverman did before Ken's Labyrinth but I'll take the dex's word for it that it's good, and since I was a Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Duke3D groupie back in the day there's a chance I might like it.

Finished this today. Game is good. My only problem is like others mentioned in the thread some levels have performance problems, not bad enough to ruin the game for me but it did drop to 30-40 frames in a few places which was very noticeable. Hopefully they continue making games if so :d1p:

toughasnails

I'm surprised that none of the bigger Youtubers who cover boomer shooters covered or reviewed this yet.

Riskbreaker

Eh, those guys don't really help that much when it comes to giving visibility to this stuff. I'd imagine that Gman, Civvie and the like will do their reviews only once the game has grown enough thanks to word of mouth, sorta what happened with Cruelty Squad etc.
So basically, unless we're talking something from 3D Realms or New Blood, they'll cover the game only if/once it already has some popularity/visibility rather than using the size of their channels to help out titles such as this one.

Curratum

Eh, those guys don't really help that much when it comes to giving visibility to this stuff. I'd imagine that Gman, Civvie and the like will do their reviews only once the game has grown enough thanks to word of mouth, sorta what happened with Cruelty Squad etc.
So basically, unless we're talking something from 3D Realms or New Blood, they'll cover the game only if/once it already has some popularity/visibility rather than using the size of their channels to help out titles such as this one.

That's because they're dumbfucks who only care about clicks and revenue and don't give a flying fuck about good games in general. Can't fucking stand both of them and their constant fellating of 3D Realms, which is a horrible company, or New Blood for that matter, which is basically one huge safespace for trans people and teenage mentality memes.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Oh damn, I didn't even notice this was released because I'd posted and was watching the other thread that got removed, grabbing it right now!

toughasnails

That's because they're dumbfucks who only care about clicks and revenue and don't give a flying fuck about good games in general. Can't fucking stand both of them and their constant fellating of 3D Realms, which is a horrible company, or New Blood for that matter, which is basically one huge safespace for trans people and teenage mentality memes.
I'm sometimes getting the impression that Civvie grew p tired of the boomer shooter genre. He certainly grew tired of the community around it including his own fanbase, that sometimes comes trough in his vids.
Sadly none of these guys are taking recommendations anymore and are probably even ignoring the requests and sent keys from smaller and unknown devs at this point (I imagine they are getting a load of those) so I don't even know how would you get them to do a vid on something like this.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm sometimes getting the impression that Civvie grew p tired of the boomer shooter genre. He certainly grew tired of the community around it including his own fanbase, that sometimes comes trough in his vids.
Sadly none of these guys are taking recommendations anymore and are probably even ignoring the requests and sent keys from smaller and unknown devs at this point (I imagine they are getting a load of those) so I don't even know how would you get them to do a vid on something like this.

Makes sense, while most of his early videos were on FPS games, he also had some other stuff (including movies) but after he got boxed into being the "retro FPS guy" he focused on that and probably got tired of them.

And yeah, also makes sense to not take recommendations - take a look at the E1M1 magazine's twitter which (mainly) posts news about boomer shooters and especially about new games in development, there is almost a new one every day, it is impossible to properly check out all of them.

I think the most realistic approach for a retro gaming oriented YouTuber right now is to just wait a few years for the good games to settle down and then make videos lamenting how nobody noticed these games back when they were new :-P

toughasnails

I don't think that's exactly fair. The framerates people like him are getting here, regardless of their configurations, are in sub-20 fps zone. Basically, like playing Crysis back in the day on a rig that barely cuts it. The complaints have nothing to do with the "if the game is sub whatever arbitrary high framerate is the latest fashion, it's unplayable" crowd.

Curratum

I'm talking about 20-something frames half the time, and a headache-inducing rollercoaster bouncing between 20 and 35 the other half of the time.

Developer isn't commenting on the subject at this point, but someone on Steam told me he saw me linking Bad Sector's analysis in their discord and the dev "forwarded it", to the engine developer, I assume. Don't have much hope this will be "fixed", but I still keep it wishlisted because it looks like such a damn good time. :negative:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I don't think that's exactly fair. The framerates people like him are getting here, regardless of their configurations, are in sub-20 fps zone. Basically, like playing Crysis back in the day on a rig that barely cuts it. The complaints have nothing to do with the "if the game is sub whatever arbitrary high framerate is the latest fashion, it's unplayable" crowd.

Calm down Joe it's just a joke

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom