Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arthurian Legends - Witchaven-like medieval first-person slasher

toughasnails

He's probably right about monster sprites, that they are based on photographed figurines, but I don't think that is true for human enemies. They look like real people in costumes to me. Maybe the dev's p&p buddies who have access to such costumes and props.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Three chapters with environments ranging from forests and swamps to castles and crypts.

Hm...

Carry over ten weapons including swords, axes, fire bombs and even holy hand grenades.

Hm...

Discover secret areas full of useful items, player-enhancing ancient relics, and hidden levels

Hm...

20+ unique enemies: Saxons, spiders and skeletons, to demonic imps, wolves and knights.

Hm... wait. Go back.

20+ unique enemies:

Too far back.

20+ unique enemies: Saxons, spiders and skeletons

Zoom in.

20+ unique enemies: Saxons, spiders

Closer.

Saxons, spiders

38dd7b90d88d21195f65ebc740a19ad0.gif

toughasnails

Honestly I don't think I get the joke.
If you're getting at what I'm thinking you're getting at, then he isn't actually dishonest about the number of enemy types. There are multiple sorts of human and undead enemies, with different melee weapons, with bows, and warlocks for both and then additionally two types of armored knights for humans. And then you have multiple types of spiders, wolves, demons.

Curratum

Honestly I don't think I get the joke.
If you're getting at what I'm thinking you're getting at, then he isn't actually dishonest about the number of enemy types. There are multiple sorts of human and undead enemies, with different melee weapons, with bows, and warlocks for both and then additionally two types of armored knights for humans. And then you have multiple types of spiders, wolves, demons.

Paging Generic-Giant-Spider

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Having finished this I daresay that, alongside Mundaun and Metroid Dread, this my GOTY. 'Twas a pretty pathetic year in terms of anything I'd be interested in playing of course, but I'd also say that this is among the most enjoyable of these neo-retro first person games I've played so far and I've played most of them since this 90s FPS revival began.

Finally someone else who played Mundaun.. game is a hidden gem!

tried the demo for this and am getting 60fps easily, not sure what all this talk about performance is about

Last edited:

Curratum

Someone reacted to one of my old posts in here and here I am...

This this thing hasn't been fixed / patched, right? I still want to play it and all other boomer shooters are vaporware these days, so I really wanted to but...

toughasnails

It received a number of patches but none of addressed the performance issue. It's an engine issue so it's questionable how much the dev here can even do save for redoing the game on another engine...

Curratum

It received a number of patches but none of addressed the performance issue. It's an engine issue so it's questionable how much the dev here can even do save for redoing the game on another engine...

The dev should not have been an edgy hipster and should have used a more common-sense engine. Even Unity would have been better than this abomination. GZdoom, EDuke32, anything, really...

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Didn't fix my saving/loading issues :(

Anyway I just began a proper playthrough and I am just loving every minute of this. Open-ended level design that's chock full of secrets, traps, and smart enemy placements; punchy, visceral combat; good selection of resources to overcome different situations. I'm only nearing the end of Episode 1 but this might just be the best boomer shooter I've played yet.

Sorry Curratum that this shit hasn't been fixed for you. I'll admit this game really isn't the most stable (I encountered the saving/loading bug throughout the entirety of E2M2).

toughasnails

He was planning an expansion at one point so if that is still happening maybe the engine upgrade will be released parallel with that. Here's hoping.

udm

Arcane
Patron
I understand he's got a full-time job, so that may be what's stopping him from releasing regular updates.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I understand he's got a full-time job, so that may be what's stopping him from releasing regular updates.

So i guess his income from the game didn't make enough money to live from it?

Meanwhile i'm certain there is at least a couple of managers who bought a new car from Diablo Immortal's $14.5million-in-a-week sales alone.

toughasnails

I guess it's possible that he wasn't too pleased with the sales. It could be that he also feels like he was snubbed a bit bc p much none of the big youtubers who customarily cover boomer shooters has reviewed his game. Which might legit hurt bc this seems very like like one man passion project and was long in development.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Made more upsetting by the fact that his game is better than a lot of shit covered by those shills. I won't say Arthurian Legends is perfect, but if it were to be released in 1996, it would be considered a cult classic the same way people remember games like Blood and Hexen.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I bought this and tried playing it several times, but am always killed by the bad performance. The problem is that for a fast-paced FPS, the performance issues just make the game not play fluidly so I constantly miss ranged attacks and fail to dodge. Meanwhile I can spin around and 360-noscope a dozen enemies in games with good engines like Doom and Quake.

Sad, really. I WANT to enjoy this, but the terrible engine holds it back.

udm

Arcane
Patron
E2M4 now and the vibe is still going strong. This is the first retro game to ever make me want to get as many secrets as possible, not only because of how easy it is to die, but also because there are so many different one-off items that you don't know if you're going to miss something cool. In E2M2, I picked up my first ever bottle of Mana and still have no idea what it does LOL.

Also, the collecting of runes for spells is a simple but great idea: make them effective, even overpowered, in certain situations, but you only can hold a few and you want to hoard as many as possible for the bosses.

Finally, the other thing the game does well is the armour system. Instead of just flat bonuses, you can pick up different grades of armour, some of which add resistance to damage types. That makes you want to avoid getting hit as much as possible, because you don't want to break that Sapphire Platemail that could potentially save your life in levels with lots of cold damage. In trying to avoid getting hit, you're going to have to spend more resources like bear traps and magic runes to take out bigger crowds of enemies. It's just a very smart system.

The more I think about it, the more pissed I am that Arthurian Legends isn't getting the recognition it deserves :argh:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Tried the demo and the performance is mostly okay. It should be better though.
You can say that again.
Tried to play this recently (on a 3k€ rig!!!) and it gave me about 5-10 FPS. Completely absurd - I had to refund it.

It's not the hardware that matters in this case, it's something wonky with the engine. One thing I recommend to try is setting the in-game frame limiter to "unlimited" while also applying an external frame-rate limiter like RTSS. It helped a lot with the frame pacing, not so much with the frame rate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom