Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ascendacy iOS remake - better AI

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Ascendacy has been re-made for iOS by Logic Artists, the original devs, it seems already a few years back. What is interesting is that they actually fixed/upgraded the AI, one of the most glaring flaws of the original game!

The game developers say that the iOS remake sticks quite true to the original version. They say that the bigger change was on the interface since it had to be re-worked to be able to operate in mobile and touch devices. Along with the interface they have made upgrades to the original AI and some of the game rules.

My question is: is there a way for me to play this on PC?

This is the closest we get to actually having a 'new" 4x game of the caliber of MoO2. I have always loved this game, perhaps only because I played this as a kid and for some reason never got MoO2 in that young age. Nevertheless, I think Ascendacy always was a beautiful, atmospheric game... That music on the starting menu!

New version screenshot

ascendancy_screenshot_1.jpg

Last edited:

:Flash:

Arcane
Logic Artists != The Logic Factory

The Logic Factory is certainly one of the strangest game developers out there. They didn't release a game for something like 15 years and still exist. Every once in a while they gave esoteric interviews on how they were researching the next level of Computer Gaming and the best AI ever. At one point they even wanted beta testers for their Seeker game, and then erased every trace of the game from their website. Then, after some more years of hiatus they release Ascendancy for iOS.

I kinda suspect that Jason and Todd Templeman just inherited a fortune and the "team" they talk about doesn't exist. How do you pay a team for 15 years without releasing anything?

As for your question, here's what Todd Templeman has to say about it:
Much of it depends on what happens in the global hardware markets. We may end up being exclusive on iOS for all time.

It's kinda funny, they predict the web 2.0 and social media gaming craze way back in 2000, but didn't make a single penny out of it.
The Logic Factory said:
Communication, cable, entertainment, and computer companies are investing hundreds of billions of dollars in the competition to develop the network that will bring truly interactive, high-resolution digital media into the home. This system will create a demand for entertainment software that will dwarf all previous software games markets; the network may flow from the Internet, or it may come from a surprisingly different direction. We believe that however it is fully realized, the digital interactive network will eventually be in as many homes as have television. With hundreds of channels, and other services that don't fit under the term "channel", the demand for content will be enormous. The capabilities of this network will offer game and entertainment software developers fascinating design possibilities and a larger market for their software than has ever existed. While having already published Internet games, developing software for what will be the next generation of the Internet is the primary goal of The Logic Factory.

Syl

Cipher
What is interesting is that they actually fixed/upgraded the AI, one of the most glaring flaws of the original game!

Did you know they released an AI patch long ago?

I never properly tested it. I was already burned out on this game when I heard about it, after hundreds and hundreds of hours of play. It's said to be really challenging.

It doesn't seem to be on the official site anymore, but you can find it on abandonware sites. Here or here for example.

DakaSha

Arcane
Games tedious as fuck. AMAZING music and atmosphere but its not a great game sadly

edit: they are working on part II for ios btw

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I kinda suspect that Jason and Todd Templeman just inherited a fortune and the "team"

It's kinda funny, they predict the web 2.0 and social media gaming craze way back in 2000, but didn't make a single penny out of it.

Or didn't they? :M

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Thanks for the info guys, I didn't know about the AI patch.

This music, atmosphere, and visuals, just blow me completely away...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom