Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ash of Gods on Kickstarter

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
Dear Сodexians,

It took almost a year of hard work for this day to arrive, but here we are. Our Kickstarter campaign has launched and we only have one month to reach our financial target.

We are proud of the work we've done so far, but the fate of the project is now in your hands. Help us to complete Ash of Gods without cuts or compromises. All the details are available at our Kickstarter page and don't forget to share the info with your friends.

And something to gaze upon — the game's intro:

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Indies like you can count on maybe 35k, not on 75k.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
While I have great faith in the power of the market, whenever I see a project like this I can't help but wonder why high budget games -- and cartoons, I suppose -- often look so mediocre. I guess there's a degree to which it's hard to convert talented autonomous artists into wage slaves for big companies.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
Will there be a 'Dex fundraiser?

That might be an interesting idea, though I am not sure enough people will be interested. I should probably reach out to the Dark_Underlord about it.

While I have great faith in the power of the market, whenever I see a project like this I can't help but wonder why high budget games -- and cartoons, I suppose -- often look so mediocre. I guess there's a degree to which it's hard to convert talented autonomous artists into wage slaves for big companies.

It might be that, it might be the overhead they have with all the extra costs, it might be that they are not ready to work 12-14 hours a day :)

It's even got a Wilhelm scream!

Yep, good catch.

An unrealistic goal deters potential backers, it's better to have a realistic goal and then expand with stretch goals if it gets reached.

Well, that is the amount we need to finish the third storyline, otherwise we'll have to cut the features and content. Hopefully, we can raise it, with the help of a larger number of backers.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Well, the 12-14 hours are sort of built into the autonomy side of things, but in fact I think big companies do regularly have crunch times.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
22e72b5596739825042ebf12dc6a9933_original.jpg

I've just noticed that.

Avellone listed as Larian.
'Dexian Hivemind speaks.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
Using health to boost weapon damage just sounds weird.

Yes, after a realism mod for MoW2 it's really may looks weird :)
Abilities for HP may regard like a spending stamina/life energy/vitality which is very important when the "harvest" begins. Delay, wounds and fatigue is a right road to the grave in the world of Terminum. And the idea that everything should be paid for is captures the essence of the game world.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Using health to boost weapon damage just sounds weird.

Yes, after a realism mod for MoW2 it's really may looks weird :)
Abilities for HP may regard like a spending stamina/life energy/vitality which is very important when the "harvest" begins. Delay, wounds and fatigue is a right road to the grave in the world of Terminum. And the idea that everything should be paid for is captures the essence of the game world.

I see what you did there :)
It's not that I don't play unrealistic games, but from the video I get the impression that you are screwed either way. Attack and risk, or stand-by but still risk of getting killed by doing nothing so I'm not sure how much choice there is, or maybe I'm missing something here?

Rali56

Novice
The intro gave me Banner Saga vibes but other than that it sounds like something I might pick up if it was on sale.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
Attack and risk, or stand-by but still risk of getting killed by doing nothing so I'm not sure how much choice there is, or maybe I'm missing something here?
Characters risks always - even in dialogs :) And now i'm confused - what's the problem for you - "choices in battles" or "abilities for HP". If first - in battle not only "attack, stand-by, doing nothing". We can play together in combat prototype - it will be better than any my words :)

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
So now that it's obvious that the campaign is dead, what are your plans? You can get 35k if you relaunch. But will you get the same exposure? Probably not, right?

Been contacted by publishers who offer money yet?

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
So now that it's obvious that the campaign is dead, what are your plans? You can get 35k if you relaunch. But will you get the same exposure? Probably not, right?

Been contacted by publishers who offer money yet?

Man, I love your optimism. We've gathered 20% of the sum in the first 3 days and did not have even pass the first weekend of the campaign. We'll make some assumptions after the first week.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You're new to kickstarter or something?

Well, maybe you'll share advice "what we need to do"? :)
What makes you think I have any? I was merely curious about your intentions now that your campaign failed. But you seem oblivious to this fact. Awkward situation.

Basically if you haven't gotten 2/5 of your goal in the first 2 days, you'll never get to your goal in 30 days. That's how KSes work.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
What makes you think I have any? I was merely curious about your intentions now that your campaign failed. But you seem oblivious to this fact. Awkward situation.

Basically if you haven't gotten 2/5 of your goal in the first 2 days, you'll never get to your goal in 30 days. That's how KSes work.

That might be true, but we will continue trying to spread the word and get more support. There were projects that got most of their backing later on in the campaign.

You can also help us out. A great way to do this is via Thunderclap. This site will help us to share the message with friends and subscribers about the campaign in two social networks: Facebook and Twitter. Simply authorize the webiste and on May 31 together with the other participants we'll share the post about Kickstarter on our profiles, attracting more people to our game.

Each repost is just as important as the financial support! Therefore, we sincerely thank everyone in advance who will spend two minutes on this.

You can join via this link: http://thndr.me/Wd0m7p

trRZkA5.jpg

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
So I have a slight variant on Bester's question, which is that this seems like a game that should cost so much more than $75k to make that the Kickstarter shouldn't really matter Alternatively, it seems like a game sufficiently like to return $75k that you would be able to get an investor to pony up the money if that's what you need. It's not like this is some "I need to take a year sabbatical to write an interactive fiction game" kind of game, you have a large team of incredibly talented folks. So what's the story behind the price point?

EDIT:

Kickstarter seems to have the answer:
Currently we're using our own savings for the project, which is enough to finish about 75% of it. The remaining 25% we want to fund through Kickstarter, otherwise we'll have to cut down significantly on the content.

Right now we're at a crossroads where we need to decide: do we go all out and include everything, or do we cut out the parts for which we don't have enough money?

Most of our funds are being spent on external contractors — to create all the animation on our own is just too large an undertaking. For instance, it takes a very good animator at least twenty days' work to create all the animation and effects for one action figure. Mirball Animation Studio is doing almost all the battle animation for us, and that's the lion's share of our expenses. We need to start production as soon as possible in order to be finished by November.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom