Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ash of Gods: Redemption - Banner Saga-like with CCG elements

Codex Year of the Donut
At the very beginning, you can choose between going to the jewelry salesman or the other stall on the left. Go to the one on the left. Buy the silk, not the wool. It will keep a character alive later.

Codex Year of the Donut
Seems interesting but my interest died as soon as I read round robin.
It's really a terrible design, no idea why anyone would use it.
If you keep a strong enemy alive until last they'll completely destroy your party because they get to move every other turn.

story is pretty decent though, guess I'll stick with it

Codex Year of the Donut
Honestly, not bad. Solid 8/10 so far. Combat takes some getting used to, but, eh.
Despite being a Banner Saga clone it's better in pretty much all regards. They really should have paid for the main characters to have multiple dialogue poses though.

Could definitely see myself playing through this multiple times given how many branching paths there are.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
How does the game compare to Banner Saga?

Difficult to compare even if it's heavily inspired by Banner Saga's combat system.

Banner Saga wonky system only holds on one leg.
Ash of Gods card game broke that leg...

Banner Saga combat was bizarre at best but eventually, you'd get used to it.
Now, Ash of Gods ... It's just a dumbing down of both worlds, tactical combat and card games.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Tried it again and this time i even managed to finish the bridge encounter before i rage quit lol. The writing is so fucking poorly structured that it is painful to play. Too much muh game of stools,a lot of retardation. Also this fucking combat is just pure garbage,it is amazing how bad it is,most likely the one of the worst combat systems in existence.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tried it again and this time i even managed to finish the bridge encounter before i rage quit lol. The writing is so fucking poorly structured that it is painful to play. Too much muh game of stools,a lot of retardation. Also this fucking combat is just pure garbage,it is amazing how bad it is,most likely the one of the worst combat systems in existence.
But the female characters are hot, what more could you possibly want?

Codex Year of the Donut
A lot of fights on higher difficulties seem balanced around strategic usage of cards.
Wish there was a way we could pester the dev and convince him to remove the round robin initiative. Would be a decent game all around without it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:hmmm:
There is female characters? As i said,i get to the bridge battle that is an hour in game and something retarded butthurts me and rage quit. This time the character that liked decided to run in and shoot the bad guys and get butchered by them.....because i pick the wrong dialogue option 30 minutes ago in a retarded dialogue sequence....

Codex Year of the Donut
:hmmm:
There is female characters? As i said,i get to the bridge battle that is an hour in game and something retarded butthurts me and rage quit. This time the character that liked decided to run in and shoot the bad guys and get butchered by them.....because i pick the wrong dialogue option 30 minutes ago in a retarded dialogue sequence....
Basically anytime you see the hourglass during dialogues it means this choice will have far reaching consequences. Typically it will be hours later in the story before you see it.
It's interesting for sure, maybe a bit too overdone but many RPGs don't bother having such long reaching C&C.

The game starts picking up after the bridge battle btw. Iirc you start the other two character arcs afterwards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom