Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ask us anything

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Since it is stated as a requirement, what will be used from Fallout: Tactics? Can't really imagine mixing its sprites with FO1/2 assets.

hexer

Since it is stated as a requirement, what will be used from Fallout: Tactics? Can't really imagine mixing its sprites with FO1/2 assets.

Since our budget is nonexistent we have to use everything available to us.
Maybe someday we will have proper models, but at the moment there's no other option but to use FOT sprites.

hexer

Heh, I forgot to answer your actual question. We will use sprites for robots and radroaches.

vitamin

Augur
Another thing - weapons. I hope you're gonna design some new hand-crafted weapons instead of using all those well known weapons from Fallout games. Such do-it-yourself weapons should be most common in early to mid stages of the game IMO. Check the link below for some references which might inspire you for making your own unique weapons.
http://crimeagame.com/weapon_en.php

Also please take your time and re-balance the Fallout guns. Like hunting rifle which in comparison to 10mm pistol is much too overpowered (should have only slightly better damage like 6-12 but not 8-20).

And a word about combat skills. I'm re-playing Fo2 right now (normal difficulty, single sniper from Per's walkthrough) and I think fighting is too easy. Having tagged small guns skill I can be almost as deadly on level 3 (ca. 95 pts) as on level 13 (ca. 125 pts). The same thing goes to other skills - like unarmed. A fine example would be boxing in New Reno. I managed to win this tournament with 95pts (and ST 6) without even sweating and I used this skill only in Temple of Trails before. It was way too easy. IMO the way combat skills work in Fallout games is not challenging at any point after very beginning of the game. It could (and should) be changed somehow.

hexer

vitamin, item crafting's in! The Brazilian Slaughter will give you a better answer regarding weapon balance though.

Why so many writers? Are they also scripting areas they write for and/or designing the maps? What additional duties will they have?

If they are all really just writing then it kind of seems to me that a bunch of people got together and decided to design a game, but it turned out that most of them didn't actually have particularly useful skills for creating a game and volunteered that they will handle the "writing" since that is something that most people are able to do to some degree or another. If that is the case you may want to reconsider how the team is structured in order to be a more effective game development team.

I'm not trying to be too critical but I am looking forward to what this team produces, and if you don't have a very well structured team it is going to effect the quality of what you produce or potentially cause the project to become another abandoned project out in the wilds of the internet.

Our team will grow soon. There will be announcements concerning this in the next update.
We started less than 2 months ago and the team expanded in writing direction (naturally for RPG Codex). Don't forget that Fallout is a game from late 90s. There aren't a lot of people left around knowledgeable in modding it with enough free time on their hands. The fact that I am the sole mapper, scenery artist and programmer means things are done slower than they should be. But as I said, the team will grow.

This won't become an abandoned project - that could only happen if something happens to me physically. Otherwise, I plan on finishing and playing this game because I can and want to.
My only regret is that I didn't start working on the game 3 years earlier when I made a lot of custom content which is unrelated to Van Buren. But I will probably use it in an expansion.

P.S. I was 14 when I first played Fallout and I never dreamed that I would now at 30 be making another classic Fallout game. This is a dream come true for some of us and the team's having fun - I'm already collecting our quotes for funny credits.

vitamin

Augur
I'll keep my fingers crossed on this project and wish you guys all the best as it is also one of my dreams to play a true Fallout 3 game one day. Keep up the good work and best of luck to VB game.

hexer

They will be released as an optional expansion pack after we release Van Buren.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom