Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Even if AC Origins is an RPG it's not a very good one.

Two big problems are the lame abilities and the total lack of a bestiary. Something around 10 different enemies in the whole game repeated from levels 1 to 40, half of which are stupid animals which are merely gear checks. There's no meaningful difference between a level 1 guard and a level 40 guard and no reason for one to be any more powerful than the other. Even Bethesda with all their level-scaling fuckery understood this enough to give high level draugr special powers and equipment that the low level mobs lack. The only enemies which justify the leveling system at all are the phylakitai and the war elephants, all of which are optional.

The other issue is the weaksauce abilities you unlock which include such scintillating high-level skills like "start combat with adrenaline bar 1/2 full" and "buy crafting mats from traders." These are especially bad when you realize some of them require multiple levels worth of skill points to unlock; imagine if playing a game of D&D, you had to gain 3 levels in order to pick a rare and valuable feat that just unlocks a trader who sells iron. Just plain old regular iron. Wow what an upgrade.

So if Odyssey is just a reskin of Origins, which seems the case, I'd propose revoking their RPG card, purely on principle of general shittiness.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I wish there was a skip button for every ship segment. After AC3, Black Flag and Rogue I absolutelly despise it.
Also, animations are awful. Reminds me of Andromeda.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Even if AC Origins is an RPG it's not a very good one.

Just played it last month and its is definitely not a RPG.

The other issue is the weaksauce abilities you unlock which include such scintillating high-level skills like "start combat with adrenaline bar 1/2 full"

This is actually one of the best abilities in the game. This and the followup ability to start with the bar completely full make combat sooooooooo much faster.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nope, annual releases aren't back: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-new-assassins-creed-coming-in-2019/1100-6461327/

No New Assassin's Creed Coming In 2019
A two year odyssey.

Ubisoft has revealed that it will not launch a new Assassin’s Creed title in 2019, and instead will support this year’s entry, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, with additional content designed to keep players engaged in the game. Speaking at GamesCom, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot explained that Assassin's Creed Odyssey's 2018 release was enabled because both 2017's Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey were being developed at the same time, and Odyssey will not be immediately followed by another game.

"On Assassin's, we had a game [in 2018] and we have one this year, but we are not going to have a full-fledged Assassin's next year," said Guillemot. "It's just because the team were working separately, so we have two games now, one year after the other. But next year you're not going to have a fully fledged one."

Asked whether this meant there would be a spin-off title or something smaller instead of a brand new, fully fledged entry in the Assassin's Creed series, Guillemot confirmed that this would not be the case either.

"What you'll have is lots of content coming on [Assassin's Creed Odyssey]. The team really want to give, on a regular basis, some new possibilities for play, so when you get [Odyssey] this year, you're going to get in for a couple of years, actually."

Reflecting on the decision to stop Assassin's Creed's yearly launch schedule and give Ubisoft's developers the time to reinvent the series for Assassin's Creed Origins, Guillemot said it was ultimately worth it.

"[The time] gave the team the possibility to really bring what they wanted to. The community has been responding very well to it and when I see what we are bringing with Odyssey I know that the community that got back in with Origins will be amazed."

Assassin's Creed Odyssey launches on October 5 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. Set in Ancient Greece, and you can choose to play as a man or a woman. GameSpot has had the opportunity to play the game at length, and you can read our Assassin's Creed Odyssey preview here for more on it.

https://www.pcgamer.com/assassins-creed-odyssey-might-have-the-best-combat-of-the-entire-series/

Assassin's Creed Odyssey might have the best combat of the entire series
Spears, swords, shields and awe.

Odyssey is finally an Assassin's Creed game where I might end up loving the combat. It takes what Origins did—a much friendlier version of Dark Souls—and layers a load of new abilities on top of that. I went into how this works around E3 time: you map them to the face buttons of a controller then activate them while holding down a bumper (I haven't played a PC version yet, but hopefully you'll be able to freely map them). These include setting your sword on fire, shield breaking, throwing your spear for a stealth kill and the trailer-friendly Spartan kick, as well as a quick heal move and powerful arrow attacks.

The demo I play at Gamescom takes place later in the game, and centres on helping a girl called Bryce find her missing partner, Ligeia. All of my abilities are levelled up several tiers, meaning I'm pretty much at endgame levels of power. I pick Alexios, the male main character, and I'm started at level 50 on the island of Lesbos on the east of the map.

The first objective is to protect Bryce from enemies that blame her for Ligeia's disappearance. It's here I sample the fully upgraded version of Odyssey's shield break move, and reader, it is some Dragon Ball Z shit. As well as taking the shield away, it sends an enemy flying. Likewise, Alexios's Spartan Kick is now absurdly powerful. The result is a system that intersperses familiar melee combat with what feel like superpowers.

Both the dodging and parrying windows feel way more generous in this demo than they did at E3, and that feels like a good choice. It keeps the flow of the combat going, and if you mistime using either of them, you'll still sustain heavy damage and have to use the dedicated healing ability.

I die three times in this demo, adjusting back to using the various abilities. I like this, because in Assassin's Creed, before Origins, there wasn't much combat worth learning, besides counterattacking (naval combat aside). Here, there's such a range of moves in your repertoire that you have to memorise the mapping of up to 12 extra abilities at any one time—four ranged, eight melee.

Once I've got the hang of it, fighting feels great in Odyssey. Playing without a shield, as in Origins, felt like a risky move during my first hands-on, but in this build I get why parrying with the sword and spear gives the combat a different, exciting rhythm. It's still not quite a best-in-class melee combat system, but it's beautifully animated, exciting and challenging.

I don't remember enjoying a good fight this much in Assassin's Creed before, and the increased levels of combat abilities means this late part of the game feels meaningfully different to the E3 demo; set earlier on. If Odyssey is indeed going to be longer than Origins, reflecting that progress is important.

Hit and myth
It transpires that Bryce's story is actually about Medusa, who seems to be responsible for her partner's disappearance. Alexios and Bryce enter the Petrified Forest, a grey, spooky location full of bodies turned to stone. Upon reaching Medusa's temple, I'm tasked with finding a special spear from a mercenary who claims to have slain her. The game gives me a rough location, that he's on top of a mountain, and I beat him in battle to take it.

Upon entering the temple, I follow Bryce's voice to find Medusa. My mission giver, unfortunately, is turned into stone before Alexios can do anything about. After two deaths, I work out how to beat Medusa, who primarily attacks with her extremely on-brand stone gaze and by bringing petrified soldiers to life to attack. It's not the best part of the demo, even though Medusa is a cool-looking, strange enemy, but the logic of the boss fight isn't bad, really, and there is a healthy bit of trial-and-error in figuring it out.

If you're wondering how Medusa crept into mainline Assassin's Creed lore, there is a neat explanation here that I won't spoil—it's not a bit of Animus weirdness like the superbosses in Origins. Average boss battle aside, though, in this demo Odyssey feels like an effective extension of what last year's Assassin's Creed set out to do in a location that clearly has loads of potential.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Wish they would retire the franchise for at least a decade and made some new IPs instead. Hell Odyssey should have been a new IP already.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, I would also prefer if they ditched the whole animus bullshit, first civilization, all the assassins creed tired tropes and just reused the engine to make a historical rpg about ancient Greece. The whole choice and consequence system would actually make sense then.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

When I saw Medusa on the video thumbnail I got kind of excited, thinking they might craft a novel boss encounter based around using stealth to avoid its gaze, like the Medusa fight from Clash of the Titans. But instead Medusa looks like a korean mmo boss and shoots lasers from its eyes as the player runs around it in circles. Also in general the game looks trivially easy, which has always been an issue with the series--a complete lack of stakes.

Minimum Requirements

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)

Processor: AMD FX 6300 @ 3.8 GHz, Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.1 GHz, Ryzen 3 - 1200

Video: AMD Radeon R9 285 (2GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0) or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Memory: 8GB RAM

Resolution: 720p

Targeted framerate: 30 FPS

Video Preset: Low

Storage: 46GB available hard drive space

DirectX: DirectX June 2010 Redistributable

Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card with latest drivers

Recommended Specification

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)

Processor: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz, Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.5 GHz, Ryzen 5 - 1400

Video: AMD Radeon R9 290X (4GB VRAM or more with Shader Model 5.0) or better or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4GB) – See supported list*

Memory: 8GB RAM

Resolution: 1080p

Video Preset: High

Recommended 4K Configuration

Processor: AMD Ryzen 1700X @ 3.8 GHz, Intel Core i7 7700 @ 4.2 GHz

Video: AMD Vega 64, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0)

Memory: 16GB RAM

Resolution: 4K

Video Preset: High

*Supported video cards at time of release:

AMD Radeon R9 285/R9 380/RX 460/RX 560 or better, AMD Radeon 200/300/Fury X/400/500 series, Radeon Vega series: RX Vega 56 or better, NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 660/760/950/1050 or better, GeForce® GTX 600/700/900/10-Series series.

https://news.ubisoft.com/article/Assassins-Creed-Odyssey-PC-Specs-and-System-Requirements-Revealed

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Does Assassin Screed still have that gay as fuck story about freemasons and whirling dervishes?

typical user

Arbiter
Finally someone who gets it and posts requirements and telling which graphical settings are used to achieve specified framerate.

Ok I need RTX 2080 but for what settings, what resolution how many frames per second do I get from this?

GOTY Material, I give this game one Alexander the Great out of one Alexander the Great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom