Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

jf8350143

Liturgist
Hmmm, so are they going to make a Cinematic trailer for this game? It's kind a tradition for the franchise

Curratum

Does anyone know if this one will have the education-oriented guided tour mode of Origins?

I can't be bothered with full-size Creed games anymore but the worlds are gorgeous and I don't mind spending a few bucks on that.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Does anyone know if this one will have the education-oriented guided tour mode of Origins?

I can't be bothered with full-size Creed games anymore but the worlds are gorgeous and I don't mind spending a few bucks on that.
I recall they said that the mode will be added later, just like Origin.

Curratum

I recall they said that the mode will be added later, just like Origin.

Excellent news! Thank you!

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Gotta laugh how this series has evolved into more of an RPG than the Witcher one.

Looking forward to Assasins Creed 2077

Ok, it evolved into sort of action-rpg lite, but how come "more of an RPG than the Witcher one"?

The character development in AC Origins is still more basic than in Witcher 3 (and you can finally pick almost all options), but there are no dialogue options and C&C.

In AC Odyssey they will propably reach the level of the Witcher 3. But still, I don't see how come will it be more RPG-ish.

Falksi

Arcane
Gotta laugh how this series has evolved into more of an RPG than the Witcher one.

Ok, it evolved into sort of action-rpg lite, but how come "more of an RPG than the Witcher one"?

The character development in AC Origins is still more basic than in Witcher 3 (and you can finally pick almost all options), but there are no dialogue options and C&C.

In AC Odyssey they will propably reach the level of the Witcher 3. But still, I don't see how come will it be more RPG-ish.

For me there's a very thin line, and one series is essentially hailed as a bland, dumb, running sim; the other the "Greatest RPG of all time!"

Basically there's a lot of dumb motherfuckers out there who can't see that AC is only a small side step away from TW3, and that TW3 is really just a shit action game propped up by a mostly fairly none-interactive story.

Yes the story's told well, yes it has it's moments, but TW3 is so watered down as an RPG it's almost, well, Assasins Creed.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
LOOK AT ME MUUUUM IM RPG NOW.

Seriously Assasin Creed Franchise should make Rocket Propeled Grenade and Propel itself somewhere else.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
AssCreed evolved from a mediocre third-person stealth game to a liberal infested historically revisionistic cultural marxist propaganda tool. That is about the only noteworthy evolution the series undertook.

jf8350143

Liturgist

Well you can choose your character's gender in Odyssey, it's not as good as a character creation system, but it's something Witcher 3 don't have.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
stealth game
Ubisoft did a great job of fooling the masses. Assassin's Creed was never a stealth game, it just made you assume it was one because it was about assassins. The current games are more rpgs than the first few ones we're stealth games.

I dont know about you but while it wasnt stealth game stealth was part of the game and worth it. I liked Assasins creed 1 Version where you werent just counter kill machine so it gave you motivation for stealth.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Well you can choose your character's gender in Odyssey, it's not as good as a character creation system, but it's something Witcher 3 don't have.

Choosing your gender does not in any way change the course of the game - you have the same skills and moves, same dialogue options, as far as we know there will not be any extra content for either Kassandra nor Alexios.

It will be a strictly esthetic choice. Just like the beard length in Witcher 3.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Mind you, I'd love it NOT to be the case though.

As I mentioned before, It would be great if Kassandra and Alexios both had different skillsets, drawing them into different builds and playstiles.

Alexios would develop into a full fledged warrior class, with abilities focused around dealing enormous amounts of damage to either single or multiple opponents, in melee or ranged combat. He would be destined for the battlefields, like a true mercenary.

Kassandra would focus on stealth, subterfuge, quiet kills and silent retreats after the mission is complete. She would be less tough but more swift and hard to hit. She would not be able to equip heavy armor, but would by default move silently and get great bonuses to critical hits dealt from shadows, darkness etc.

Even better, they could also get different dialogue options which would lead to different ways to solve quests. Lets say you need to kill a guy during a symposium (an ancient Greek drinking party, usually reserved for males only). To get close to your target, Alexios would have to receive an invitation to the party or get hired as a bodyguard of one of the guests. Kassandra on the other hand would have a choice between entering the place under cover of darkness, getting hired as a flute player or attending the party as a hetaira (an elite courtesan, they were allowed during such events), accompaning one of the guests.

Thing about the possibilities. If only Ubisoft wanted to use the setting and unleash its roleplaying potential.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Every game developer ever: Should we respect women and try to make a game where their special talents can lead you to victory? Nah, let's just reskin the man as superficially a woman. That's a lot easier for us because we're way too stupid to write any intelligent characters, male or female.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom