Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Hey guys this dog turd everyone says is a dog turd tastes like a dog turd, what gives??

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Tonight I finally finished AC Black Flag. Was gonna give Odyssey a go but you know what? I am sick to fucking death of Assassin's Creed games. So Odyssey looks like dog shit, smells like dog shit, and tastes like dog shit? Good thing i didn't step in it.

Morkar Left

Played now for 9 hours and finally ready to leave the first island. The game as such is entertaining with its worldbuilding. They really tried to bring that mythical period to life with the environment and plenty of hints if you are somewhat familiar with the old Greek legends or culture. Kinda good depiction of Sparta in the backstory of the hero...

Playing on hard with light levelscaling of enemies. Does anybody know how difficulty and levelling exactly influences gameplay?

So far I had to make one decsion that has kind of far-reaching consequences, probably not for the player as such but for npcs. There is a family you can choose to safe or not in an event of a plague on Kephallon. It was kind of a hard decision. I got accidentally spoilered by watching a youtube video to hear about my consequence.
It's about the plaque and the family you can safe from the deathsquad. I had chosen to let them kill the family and it seems to be the right decision from what I heard. If you don't whole Kephallonia will have the sickness.
No sjw type storytelling at all. Pretty cool. If they keep it that way it will create a good bunch of meorable moments.

Regarding sneaking and parcour/climbing. It's piss easy to kill all enemies that way. Just hide in a bush and you will never get detected. Even if they are standing in front of you half an inch away. Even better, you can just instakill one guard (even if alerted and watching around) and the guard right behind him looking in the same direction will NOT detect you. He will just walk in the direction searching for you (or his dead fallen to the ground comrade) and you can instakill him as well out of the bush. You can do that for basically a whole camp... I hope it's some kind of bug or it's because of the tutorial island and will get better later on... Btw I don't use the eagle. Would make it too easy for me to scout the enemy. more fun sneaking around and doing it by myself.

Yeah falling damage... It's non-existent. You can get damage depending on height (but very generous) but 2 seconds later you will regenerate fully. I guess the only point it matters is in combat...
Diving looks and feels great. Underwater visuals are top-notch!

Melee is kind of fun and fluid but it all seems to come down to button mash the dodge button and if it happens at the right time you get some slow motion setting in for enemies and you can hit them easily. This way you can easily fight multiple enemies always evading their strikes and kill them all with some patience (playing on hard). You can parry and such things but just dodging seems to be more easy and effective. Cyclops guy was a really disappointing push-over even having a fight right after a cutscene (especially compared to the first bounty hunter). So far normal enemies are piss easy this way. The bounty hunter was the only challenging fight. Hope this will change as well the further I get into the game. Compared to Elex the combat here feels more fluid but Elex has waaaay more tactical combat.

Levels and abilities feel kind of ok for combat focused action rpgs. Basically Hunter, Assassin or Warrior and everything in between (but specialization seems recommended). Hope that levelling will actually mean something in the sense of getting stronger and being able to outlevel enemies or having enemies which are too strong for you till later.

Every equipment has some specialization for Hunter, Assassin or Warrior gameplay. Some epic or legendary items can provide multiple boni in addition (up to 3?). Unfortunately equipment is really dissappointing so far. E.g. there's no real distinction between heavy armor or light armor. A hood provides as much armor as an iron helmet. Only the item level counts. And basically you can always improve any equipment to your level. That makes finding new equipment just a cosmetical choice??? Same goes for weapons. You can just upgrade a weapon to your level and it will make the appropriate damage. Each weapon type has a different combat style though. Not sure if horse combat will ever be a viable option. Probably not. Have to test.

There seems to be no traps and lockpicking / stealing is missing, too. Lost opportunity really. Sneaking to a guard and steal the key to enter or free prisoners / steal some valuable shit from a chest. Or lockpick the door / chest.

Seeing ships motorboating around really is a mood killer. I wish there would be an option to reduce the speed to half for all ships (and shooting in ship combat too).

Last edited by a moderator:

Fishy

Savant
So far I had to make one decsion that has kind of far-reaching consequences, probably not for the player as such but for npcs. There is a family you can choose to safe or not in an event of a plague on Kephallon. It was kind of a hard decision. I got accidentally spoilered by watching a youtube video to hear about my consequence.

This one gets mentioned often.

However, imho, it's more of a shitty red herring. It has no consequences other than being told about it and the green shitty fog being there. Past its role as Tutorial Island, Kephalonnia has no other point. Not a single questline is impacted as a 'consequence'. If at least it had Markos/Phoibe die horribly in your arms or Hippokrates telling you to piss off because he heard about your exploits, I'd give the game some C&C points for this quest, but no, it's a big bunch of nothing, caused by deliberately brain-dead choices (where's my quarantine option?). Now, there are some quests with more involved/consequential endings, just not this one.

Hellion

Arcane
"Historical accuracy < Muh Inclusiveness" - Random Ubisoft dev

assassins.jpg

Quillon

Arcane
How dare you imply there are only two genders ubishit? :outrage: Fix that shit ASAP! It should be "both genders and the attack helicopter attending class"...as well as necessary adjustments to the vase.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
How dare you imply there are only two genders ubishit? :outrage: Fix that shit ASAP! It should be "both genders and the attack helicopter attending class"...as well as necessary adjustments to the vase.

More importantly, why are they assuming the gender of the people depicted? Ubisoft are truly irredeemable...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Odyssey is full of much wahmenism. You either play as a stunning brave heroine or she is the most stunning badass char in the game. Also the modern day stunning brave chick is "the key to everything". And the main villain is a stunning powerful wahman too. And that's just a tip.

I kinda enjoyed Odyssey for longer than I thought I would. Usually I uninstall Ubisoft type open world games within 2 hours, but I put in some serious time into Odyssey because it has so much shine up front. Gloriously recreated Ancient Greece, ships, somewhat decent action combat, etc. But I will warn you guys, at some point, the Ubisoftness catches up, and you realize you wasted all your time here.

It's the ultimately soulless, pointless game, a world of empty checklists and dull quests and whatever you do, absolutely nothing of importance happens. Do yourself a favor and uninstall now.

Morkar Left

Yeah you can always try too hard...

maybe later on there will be topics regarding sjw shoved in your face. I don't know. But so far I can't see that there are special sjw topics picked up. And that women are shown in equal positions? Please... it's not a scientific historical accurat game and clearly not meant as such. I's more like Odysseus, Hercules and Xena stuff. Don't let ypurself fool from the great buildings. Having no shield to use is far far more worse...

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I kinda enjoyed Odyssey for longer than I thought I would. Usually I uninstall Ubisoft type open world games within 2 hours, but I put in some serious time into Odyssey because it has so much shine up front. Gloriously recreated Ancient Greece, ships, somewhat decent action combat, etc. But I will warn you guys, at some point, the Ubisoftness catches up, and you realize you wasted all your time here.

It's the ultimately soulless, pointless game, a world of empty checklists and dull quests and whatever you do, absolutely nothing of importance happens. Do yourself a favor and uninstall now.
Yeah, it’s a pretty empty game. Fun for some quick casual gameplay every now and again, but it’s weak and watered down.

I would say there’s no need to uninstall if you already have it, but there’s no need to buy it or even pirate it if you don’t.

soulburner

Cipher
I keep hearing this game is good, however, my toaster refuses to run it at an acceptable performance level. I get sub 25 fps, no matter the detail settings. I guess my dual core Thinkpad is showing its age :(

Paul_cz

Arcane
I am playing the first DLC and so far it is pretty boring. I just want to be done with it at this point. That said I still enjoy Kassandra.

Prime Junta

Is this thing still on?

I was disappoint in this largely because of AC: Origins. I liked that because it was pretty decent historical fiction, with a sense of time and place and didn't play completely fast and loose with real history, and when it did, it did so fairly intelligently. AC: Odyssey was pure herp derp Xena. Better brawling than in Origins but still mind-numbingly grindy; also every place I visited felt more or less the same, just with different levels of fancy architecture. There was none of the feeling of variety that I got when going from Siwa to Alexandria and from there up the Nile.

But mostly I couldn't get past the bad-comic-book grade retardation. I don't think I ever could if I decided to return to it one day. Especially the way the Spartans were portrayed.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Is this thing still on?

I was disappoint in this largely because of AC: Origins. I liked that because it was pretty decent historical fiction, with a sense of time and place and didn't play completely fast and loose with real history, and when it did, it did so fairly intelligently. AC: Odyssey was pure herp derp Xena. Better brawling than in Origins but still mind-numbingly grindy; also every place I visited felt more or less the same, just with different levels of fancy architecture. There was none of the feeling of variety that I got when going from Siwa to Alexandria and from there up the Nile.

But mostly I couldn't get past the bad-comic-book grade retardation. I don't think I ever could if I decided to return to it one day. Especially the way the Spartans were portrayed.

That's all well and good but I just bought this and I am starting a fucking 77 gig download (WTF!). For the first time since Tomb Raider II I plan on playing a woman in a video game and I better be able to have sweet, sweet lady sex with any bitch I do not kill.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Is this thing still on?

That's all well and good but I just bought this and I am starting a fucking 77 gig download (WTF!). For the first time since Tomb Raider II I plan on playing a woman in a video game and I better be able to have sweet, sweet lady sex with any bitch I do not kill.
You can have all the lady you want, but in the DLC you will be forced to fuck a random guy and get pregnant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom