Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
On the Codex we know the best representation of the ancient world is not Asscreed but Age of Decadence.
aliens.png
aliens.png
aliens.png

The same level of historicity, better gameplay and C&C.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Ubisoft writing is boring, sterile, cliched, mass market fodder, without an iota of personality, heart or soul. Might as well be written by a sophisticated algorithm.
Origins had better main quest than Witcher 3, Black Flag writing is charming and Ezio saga is written well enough. Also, AC1 did grey morality better than Witcher. It's just Ubi Qubec that can't write for shit.

I can't remember the Origins main quest. I can remember Witcher 3 though.

Duralux for Durabux

I remember that you have to find CIRI for 50 hours (that include smelling shit, talking to peasants,hearing shit dialogues and achieving bad quests (mostly about killing something (reskin of an another monster but even more retarded).The other rest of the game is "Geralt you are our last savior you have to kill the big bad guy OMG save the world plz". The battle of kaer Moren is fucking disappointing (the wild hunt is just a bunch of 1 hundred guys with reskin of dogs (WTF they are supposed to be a fucking army not that bullshit). And then the final battle is just lame, it's a boss battle Dark-souls -esque but worse and ridiculously easy.Also the final boss keep doing the same thing over and over again . Compare this battle to the final boss of Bloodborne or father Gascoigne(same year 2015).
But i agree with you, Ubisoft managed to make an even worse main quest in Origins, that an achievement right there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodo1610

Arcane
All AC games are made by half a dozen Ubisoft studios
Ubisoft writing is boring, sterile, cliched, mass market fodder, without an iota of personality, heart or soul. Might as well be written by a sophisticated algorithm.
<
Origins had better main quest than Witcher 3, Black Flag writing is charming and Ezio saga is written well enough. Also, AC1 did grey morality better than Witcher. It's just Ubi Qubec that can't write for shit.

The main quest is Bayek's revenge, though that's not what makes it the best story in the series IMO. Like The Witcher Origins story, the story is held together by its protagonists. I think people care about his story because he isn't you typical "Hollywood movie" character he is extremely religious to the point of being almost fanatic by today's standards but he has a strong sense of justice and honour. If Bayek was a happy-go-lucky person like Kassandra Alexios the story wouldn't be nearly as good. That being said even I wouldn't say that Origins has a better story than The Witcher 3.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
In Origins, the differences between the Greek ruling class and the Egyptian population was an interesting aspect, in Odyssey the conflict between Sparta and Athens never feels much deeper than red guys vs blue guys.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
In Origins, the differences between the Greek ruling class and the Egyptian population was an interesting aspect, in Odyssey the conflict between Sparta and Athens never feels much deeper than red guys vs blue guys.
Because 1) the mechanics is banal shit pointless and 2) it's never explained why these guys actually fight.

History in Odyssey is just lame, shallow, lowbrow window dressing for mainstream retards. Odyssey is about as authentically Greek as "The Vikings" are authentically viking.

Duralux for Durabux

Because 1) the mechanics is banal shit pointless and 2) it's never explained why these guys actually fight.

History in Odyssey is just lame, shallow, lowbrow window dressing for mainstream retards. Odyssey is about as authentically Greek as "The Vikings" are authentically viking.
How ironic, I have the same feeling about witcher 3( "the mechanics is banal shit pointless" same goes for witcher 3) when i play it. the crisis between Temeria and Niiflgaard is poorly exploited in witcher 3, it could have been WAYYYYY better than it was.
Ubisoft needs to stop copying witcher 3 it does more harm than benefit for them.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
So, I managed to finish AC: Odyssey during the free weekend. At the end I had 39h~ and finished every main mission except First Civ mythologic quests, as it requiered grinding exp for levels and sure as hell I wasn't doing that.
So, my impressions?
I liked it. It looked amazing, just walking trough the world was enjoyable, a lot of biom variety. But everything other than graphics was mediocre. Don't get me wrong, main quest shows that they truly wanted to make the plot based on the tragedies of old, family drama, fatum, etc. But delivery was kinda weak.
The world was full of "things" to do, but these things were without any substance, go there, loot chests and kill things to get randomized loot. Most of quests were similiar. What suprised me though, was that while skills were kinda imbalanced, you could make a build and stick to it, even synergize skills with certain items to achieve terrific amount of damage.
In the end, 6/10.

I actually liked it so much that I decided to instantly buy AC: Origins.
And you know what? I loved it. I loved it so much it made me hate Odyssey. Out of a sudden quests were interesting, air was thick with climate of egypt of old, "question marks" on the map were interesting and many had some story, whether told trough surroundings or by letter/books. It was amazing to just walk around through the country that was already ancient and full of ruins more than 2000 years ago.
It had its problems though, I've recently played Dark Souls 3 and had some strong opinions about its combat, but playing Odyssey, Origins and Witcher 3 in short span of time really put Souls series into perspective, compared to them Souls are the beacon of genius in combat design. Attacks that randomly stun you and you cannot dodge them, levels not mattering unless it's 4 levels above you, then you are getting one shot.
The biggest flaw though was the ending of the main quest, ever since 65%~ it started getting progresively worse and ended weak.
8.5/10, my favourite AC.

I tried DLCs too, The Hidden ones was only ok, mediocre. But The Curse of The pharaons was incredibly shit, I quit in the middle of it so that I don't soil my memories of the game with that shit. Stupid cashgrab.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Ok. Played this game for 20 hours, one of the most Vapid games I've ever played.
The RPG mechanics forces me into one path making the bland ass gameplay even more of a chore, Enemy Sponges as far as the eye can see. Animations are incredibly clunky, the character glides on the floor, walking animation is stiff as hell. Camera seems to use the same tethered system from Syndicate but the Zoomed out camera makes it really awkward. The cutscenes are really shit with constant face to face shot and incredibly bad animations. The writing is ofc garbage, the side quests are things you already do in your free time like clearing out forts and other menial garbage.

The progression system is incredibly bloated with insane amount of resources needed to upgrade weapons & ships. Weapon upgrades are worthless cause you'll find better loot in 10min & you can change appearance anytime, so no idea why it's even a thing. The linear progression path of the game means you are effectively locking away your options as the game progresses, if you focus on hacky slashy, then your stealth attack weakens, your arrows are worthless. Similarly for the other things. So you end up locking your variety as the game progress instead of the other way around. Not to mention all three are incredibly rudimentary & hence 1 of those for the whole time is beyond torture.

Overall, Quebec has done it. It has successfully translated the worst of mobile gaming into mainstream, and people ate the shit up. I want to go whack all the reviewers who gave it 9's and it will be the first AC game I won't finish cause my God it is fckn SHIT!

Well, imagine the checklist world of Witcher 3 (20 bandit camps here, 5 drowner spawns there, 5 treasure chests here...", then remove Witcher 3's wonderful writing and replace it with MMO quests and a story to make Ass Effect look good, and multiply by nearly infinite content...

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

Going apeshit over that is epic autism, there is no "authenticity" of history in any and all of the AC games. It's all fantasty, fanfiction and mainstream bullshit.

Only the most incredibly uniformed low-information normies bought into the Ubi claim that their AC games were "historically accurate" in any way, shape or form.

This is fantasy. Not history. That's applicable to every single AC game ever made.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I liked Origins better (could not finish Odyssey - the tedium was to great) but I still had to give it a negative review because Caesar DID NOTHING WRONG you Canadian faggots.

Still irritated by that.

Modron

Arcane
They heard your complaints Paco and gave Odyssey a Drumpf stand in who says he'll make Athens great again and is mocked as orange man/orangutan.

Prime Junta

Christ what a grind that was. I gave up around "you have killed 100 enemies with a spear." Origins was way better, at least it had a sense of place with locations that looked and felt different.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
Alright I am playing it right now, what an amazing game... it's just like codex GOTY Witcher 3... BUT EVEN BETTER! this might be the best game ever made(only surpassed by old classics like Oblivion...)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Alright I am playing it right now, what an amazing game... it's just like codex GOTY Witcher 3... BUT EVEN BETTER! this might be the best game ever made(only surpassed by old classics like Oblivion...)

:3/5:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom