Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age - now on Steam

Doktor Best

Arcane
I dont get why they limit their rpg systems to combat. Why not make parkouring dependent on skills? With you slowly gaining the ability to climb harder and harder passages, unlocking new ways to your target.

Or social skills to unlock and improve social stealth or getting information out of guards you manage to overwhelm in a nonlethal way.

I feel like there could actually be a decent immersive sim like experience in those games, but devs prefer to stay shallow in this regard. A shame.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I feel like there could actually be a decent immersive sim like experience in those games, but devs prefer to stay shallow in this regard. A shame.

An open world immersive sim has never been done, afaik. Besides... We are still taking about Ubi's AC series, right?

These games were, are now and will always be extremely mainstream.

I wager the only reason this series is now action RPG, is because of the Witcher 3 and the success it had. Witcher 3 is released in 2015, and two years later we get AC Origins.

That's how this business works, if you want something cutting edge and revolutionary, don't look for it in Ubi's AC series.

Takamori

Learned
Slapping XP and HP bloat onto an action game isn't necessarily a good thing.

Sure but that's anther discussion. AC "old" vs AC "new" are fundamentally different games.

AC and AC2, are games in the vein of Prince of Persia Sands of Time, with platforming puzzles, timed platforming and other such simple and fun (when the control scheme doesn't go apeshit) activities. Kills are much the same, they just follow a set of rules which are connected to the gameplay, not roleplay. The other main influence in gameplay is GTA3,VC and SA.

AC and AC2 were designed by the same person who designed PoP: SoT, so the similarities are no coincidence. They share a lot of gameplay features and ideas.

New AC games, like Odyssey, Origins and Valhalla, are not like Prince of Persia at all. They are like the Witcher 3. That is all. Apples and Oranges. They share only the name.

There will be callbacks to the older games, but that's all it is. Gameplay is 100% Witcher 3. What's the point in comparing Sands of Time to the Witcher 3?

Followed by:

Drivel

Shut up newfag, and practice some reading comprehension. I'd say you're embarrassing yourself but well, you already know you're a nadir.

Assassins Creed can even be considered RPG? Far as I know throwing magic, rare, epic and legendary in your itemization dont magically turn your game into a rpg.

What is an RPG? Seriously asking that?

But it must be an RPG because Infinitron has categorized it as an RPG and categorized it accordingly
rating_prestigious.png

Eaters of the dead was great. If the game is at least 50% similar to it then it will be good. But we all know it will be a pozzed anachronistic drival. I hope I am wrong.

Are you Anhur's alt? Also, all AC games have been anachronistic drivel, they're fantasy. That's never going to change.

Simple questions that you must ask.
1) Does my character having a personality that I decided to roleplay can achieve different outcomes in the ongoing story that I'm partaking?
Yes? Ok RPG yay. No? Its a Linear Story telling game.
2) Can I customize my character in several ways where I can be rewarded for my choices and punished for going against the character identity in the planned build?
Yes?RPG yay. No? Its fucking Skyrim fuck off Todd

Saying that EXP bar and purple items does turn your game into a RPG is pretty retarded, its like I dev a shooter pure action no roleplay, you just shoot things, blood everywhere and etc. But I decide to attach an exp bar in the upper right corner, that does shit at all, its just there to say that you +1 level in awesome. And my weapons that I set in this game have different quality, but the only thing quality is affecting those weapon its the art model of then. And out of my ass classify it as a RPG.

Child of Malkav

Erudite

An open world immersive sim has never been done, afaik. Besides... We are still taking about Ubi's AC series, right?

These games were, are now and will always be extremely mainstream.

I wager the only reason this series is now action RPG, is because of the Witcher 3 and the success it had. Witcher 3 is released in 2015, and two years later we get AC Origins.

That's how this business works, if you want something cutting edge and revolutionary, don't look for it in Ubi's AC series.
Wait, isn't Breath of the Wild a giant immersive sim?
With all those powers you get and the way you solve puzzles and everything, interaction with the world etc. I think there was a video or a forum post talking about this but I can't find it now. Also, MGSVTPP has some imsim elements.

sullynathan

Arcane
With all those powers you get and the way you solve puzzles and everything, interaction with the world etc. I think there was a video or a forum post talking about this but I can't find it now. Also, MGSVTPP has some imsim elements.
As close to an immersive sim that a AAA modern game can get really and it does it quite well.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
1) Does my character having a personality that I decided to roleplay can achieve different outcomes in the ongoing story that I'm partaking?

In the end Mass Effect, Witcher 3, Fallout 3 and the like are RPGs, even though they all have the same outcome no matter how you play them. Dialogue trees always end up where the dev wants you to end up. It's the journey, not the destination. Now go make a thread about what defines an RPG.

Don't know, I don't play Nintendo.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Takamori

Learned

In the end Mass Effect, Witcher 3, Fallout 3 and the like are RPGs, even though they all have the same outcome no matter how you play them. Dialogue trees always end up where the dev wants you to end up. It's the journey, not the destination. Now go make a thread about what defines an RPG.

Don't know, I don't play Nintendo.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yet in those games mentioned you managed to build some sort of character individual identity so yeah you point is wrong comparing it to ME, W3, F3 and so on to AC where you have the story and thats it and you eat it. The closest is W3 where you accept Geralt identity but still you can manage to build his identity to be either neutral or more invasive in his conflict solution.

Xeon

Augur
I know its about vikings but still, I really hope there is not a lot of ship battles, I really dislike those, I recently played Odyssey and man, there is a lot of ship fights, in Origin there were scripted battles only and I hated those as well so the less there are the better.

Also I hope they do away with all the modern time animus crap, I never liked those, not even during AC1 and 2 era with Desmond or whatever.

Xeon

Augur
Overall it was kinda fun but its probably the most none AC game, I haven't played all AC games tho so I might not be a good judge on that. But wasn't Origin the start of the Assassin or something? Odyssey is before that I think. There is no Hidden Blade like the normal assassins and on top of that there are now magic or whatever, Alexios can suddenly heal himself, can go invisible and shoot arrows thru walls and whatever. They just went nuts with it.

One thing I extreamly disliked is how everything auto levels with you, that sucked so bad, and the numbers just go to 100k+ damge and whatever, assassinating should be a sure thing imo and not just immense damage.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Yet in those games mentioned you managed to build some sort of character individual identity so yeah you point is wrong comparing it to ME, W3, F3 and so on to AC where you have the story and thats it and you eat it. The closest is W3 where you accept Geralt identity but still you can manage to build his identity to be either neutral or more invasive in his conflict solution.

You are talking out of your autistic ass, you clearly don't have clue what you're talking about.

It's obvious by your reply that you haven't even played the new AC games, so arguing with a spastic who confuses his opinion with reality is literally pointless, so fuck off.

bunch of videos

Thanks, I guess that settles it. Those videos prove one thing beyond a doubt: Breath of the Wild is about as far from an immersive sim as the original Assassin's Creed is from an "historical sim".

Using the environment and creating platforms, having environmental hazards and such is not an immersive sim. Zombie crafting survival games are not immersive sims either.

That you can immerse yourself in a game, is fantastic! But it doesn't make it an immersive sim.

sullynathan all the citations are in the videos you posted, it's Zelda, more of the same Nintendo faggery - not an immersive sim. Fortnite isn't either, btw.

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
So, like I said, BOTW is as close to an Immersive sim that AAA games get.

So as I said, it's not an immersive sim. Being "as close to" something as AAA games get, is meaningless.

Fallout 3 is as close to a classic turn based RPG as AAA games get. Meaningless drivel.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Yesterday i returned to my abandoned Origins playthrough for a bit because after watching the Ghost of Tsushima gameplay video i wanted to waste a bit of time with a stupid stealthy slasher game.

The blandness of the writing is just so overwhelming. I dont give a shit about anybody in this game. Bayek is self insert hero figure with no personality other than that he is angry that his kid died. His wife is female version of self insert who takes no shit from nobody. The baddies are well... bad. For no given reason.

Almost every quest is about some poor oppressed slave and some evil roman/slaver or whatever and Bayek keeps on babbling about values and fighting for freedom. You know you should be a good person and not a bad person. Because doing good things is good. He is a walking pile of platitudes.

Funnily enough he then proceeds to kill countless of innocent guards because someone told him he should break into a fortress to steal something absolutely trivial.

I dont get how anyone could praise the story of this game. Dragon Age 2 is brilliant compared to this.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
The blandness of the writing is just so overwhelming. I dont give a shit about anybody in this game. Bayek is self insert hero figure with no personality other than that he is angry that his kid died. His wife is female version of self insert who takes no shit from nobody. The baddies are well... bad. For no given reason.

I've not played Origins, yet - but this has been the case for every single AC game I've ever played, from AC2 and onwards. Let's take AC2 as an example, you're playing the story of some Jersey Shore reject, who has the personality to match.

You know, so we as players can relate.

Not only that, they made Ezio a banker's son. So we can relate and empathize.

So when you stop and think about it, his father was a banker, and Ezio his apprentice, but his father also literally killed people for money. When Ezio's father was hanged, the "bad guys" weren't exactly hanging an innocent man. Was I supposed to feel sympathy? Outrage?

Or was I supposed to think that finally justice caught up to those sociopaths? The game isn't very clear on that, the way it presents these people.

Never in the game does this Ezio demonstrate any ability to think for himself, he just asks "what next?" to fucking Machiavelli ... and we're not supposed to think we're being played. No, the game plays that straight. Bizarre.

Or when uncle "It's-a me! Mario!" (quote from the game) casually says he's an atheist, in 15th century Florence... and Ezio just shrugs
facepalm.png
facepalm.png
facepalm.png

Or the "nun" who gives the most postmodernistic bullshit explanation how she's soothing the physical needs, because that's how she understands Christianity (she a whore btw, that's what she's talking about) and Ezio just, shrugs that away as well.

And so on and so forth.

In fact, Ezio is a typical Mary Sue character, i.e. a fictional character who is so competent or perfect that this appears absurd. That's a common trait for all AC main characters. They're all Mary Sues.

The writing in AC games is bland and postmodernistic, with a Mary Sue main character.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom