Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age - now on Steam

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Whoever they put and whatever he tries to do, the moment he diverges from the formula and income from MTX seems to drop he will be beheaded :(

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
But what if he diverges from the formula and income does not drop?

IMO old AssCreed fans who still care about shit like the hidden blade or the assassin-templar conflict are a minority among players of the new, RPG-lite installments. Most of their popularity now comes not from the retarded storyline but from lack of competition from other historical rpgs.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
But what if he diverges from the formula and income does not drop?

IMO old AssCreed fans who still care about shit like the hidden blade or the assassin-templar conflict are a minority among players of the new, RPG-lite installments. Most of their popularity now comes not from the retarded storyline but from lack of competition from other historical rpgs.

I haven't been a fan of the series but I think their popularity had been obviously waning, and the "bold move" they made was to incorporate elements of Witcher 3's light twitch combat.

This won them back some credibility and the air of "going hardcore" in the eyes of the casual masses.

Now with Valhalla, they seem to be trying to shift further towards RPG territory, turning the game into a "modern videogame" - I just use this as a lump genre. What I mean under it is a game that's basically a sightseeing simulator in an open world, with combat and roleplaing elements which are so watered down that they merely serve as an excuse for the player's conscience, if he is not completely on board with paying $60 for an interactive movie/sightseeing sim, and needs to convince himself that he is playing a game.

So their main selling point is "I will get to go on sightseeing in viking era England! With next gen graphigz!!" It's always been the graphics and the hype around the currently selected historical setting.

IMO the fact they have gone to viking era England hints that they are really scraping the barrel. Reminds me of the choice of WW2 for Battlefield V after Battlefield 1 didn't generate much traction.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
We're on a roll guys. It's always funny when Westerners come to Eastern Europe and try to apply their morals and rules to everything and act shocked about things which are considered normal behavior here.

I mean, the thing about hiring women happens in Sweden as well. I remember a conversation I overheard with Daniel Ek and others in the Spotify senior leadership on this exact topic almost using the same words.

If you find a good looking woman at Spotify that is employed in a non engineering role you can bet your balls on the reason they were hired.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Fantadomat wouldn't have kept this thing on payroll:
View attachment 13493
Absolutely not,i would have made the account my self and paid double salary :smug:. Or maybe hired all my friends as HR twatter department and made them twat retarded sjw shit every hour while paying them a few grands :smug:.
Tomorrow it will be on Bloomberg! Breaking news: the head of Ubisoft Sofia confessed to nepotism and misappropriation of funds. :smug:

Someone should give fantadomat a developer tag!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fantadomat wouldn't have kept this thing on payroll:
View attachment 13493
Absolutely not,i would have made the account my self and paid double salary :smug:. Or maybe hired all my friends as HR twatter department and made them twat retarded sjw shit every hour while paying them a few grands :smug:.
Tomorrow it will be on Bloomberg! Breaking news: the head of Ubisoft Sofia confessed to nepotism and misappropriation of funds. :smug:

Someone should give fantadomat a developer tag!
LoL mate,i am a sneaky bastard. If i was the head of that cesspool of libtardation,i would have joined the codex as a female account so i could say later that i am tranny and that is why they can't fire me and should give me more gibz :smug:. Now now mate,you can't backstab a bulgar because he will steal your knife before that :lol:.

ADL

Prophet
Looks like The Witcher 3.... With a better combat system which is faint praise to say the least. Hope they keep the exploration mode from Odyssey which made it more like Morrowind in that regard.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Ugh, all modern games look and play the same.
I keep saying that "modern videogame" is a genre in itself. It's any game where you wander in an open world and progress story through dialogue. It may or may not include very rudimentary combat, stats, levelling and other rpg mechanics, but knowing them is specifically ensured by the devs to not be required for completing the "game", or better said completing the story.

Good graphcis, full VO and motion capture however are a must.

At this point tossing around genre names like "RPG" or "Action adventure" is just a PR for the gulliable masses, if we are talking about AAA shit.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
God damn. It looks even more witchery than Witcher 3 itself.
The whole color theme and enviroments oozes Witcher. The fuck did they do for 4 years.
Also female viking, lel.

Edit:
After further watching the viking chick looks like a dude too. Atleast the chick in Odyssey was somewhat fuckable but this one is butchy as fuck and speaks with distortion.
Its like they hired the singer from Arch Enemy to do the vocals.

This inability to portray women as women in AAA video game industry is spreading like a disease. :decline:

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The video looks incredibly bad, just a bad reskin job. Reception on reddit has very bad and will probably give pause to Ubisoft which will try to PR this with ”very early alpha gameplay”.

What the video shows is just sloppy, uninspired, lazy. The same UI, the same design, with shit graphics, shit animations.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
This is Ubisoft just going back to their familiar development cycle. People started expecting every AC game from Origins onward to now be re-imagining of the franchise like that one was, but even with Odyssey it was another case of iteration. They've just changed the original blueprint from AC2 to Origins now.

1594027137735.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom