Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age - now on Steam

assassins_creed_valhalla.jpg

Ubisoft does history...

:deadtroll:

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Ubisoft does history...

:deadtroll:

Your screenshot is very clever. How is that working out for you, being clever? You could ride a fucking pegasus in Odyssey, and a flaming horse in Origins. So you are several years behind the curve just on the new iterations of the game with your shit tier 'hot take'. Likewise, in the earlier games you had an 'Apple of Eden' at your disposal that was an ancient tech WMD which leveled an entire city via earthquake, a grappling hook that saw you swinging around the city like Batman, etc etc. But mUh hIsToRiCaL aCcuRacY...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I vaguely recall Origins explaining away most of the fantasy elements as animus grlitches or whatever. Honestly though since they're going so Witcher 3 at this point they might as well go fantasy, fuck it.

J1M

Arcane
There is a quest in this game where a racist asks you to help kill a black guy (who is a warlock in the mountains in Norway in 9th century), but the black guy tells you that Norwegians are a bunch of bigots so you help him kill the racist instead. There is no choice to do anything else.
Leave the quest incomplete.

Avarize

Magister
There is a quest in this game where a racist asks you to help kill a black guy (who is a warlock in the mountains in Norway in 9th century), but the black guy tells you that Norwegians are a bunch of bigots so you help him kill the racist instead. There is no choice to do anything else.
How did the black guy end up there?

I haven't played this or Odyssey, but one thing that annoyed me in Origins was the extent to which everything was so heavily level-gated (that bullshit Witcher 3 crap of being able to annihilate something 3 levels above you, but having 0 chance against an enemy 4 levels above you). It made an ostensibly "open-world" game into a pretty linear affair. Have they addressed that in either of the more recent installments?

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Black people have always been in Norway, where do you think the vikings stole all their culture from?

typical user

Arbiter
I wanted to buy this game and play through my 2-week vacation (among other things, so easy there friends). But I think I will give it a pass. Ubisoft has somewhat fixed Ghost Recon: Breakpoint so I am rather optimistic they will do the same to AC:Valhalla and give a nice discount in next month or two. They are probably earning a lot less money from all the bugs and strange design choices right now. For starters I noticed you can unlock ALL skills in the progression-tree. In Odyssey you could too but that was after patching/DLCs + those ability points were better invested into flat stats on a separate tree. Also Odyssey had a wanted level system mixed with Nemesis from Shadow of Mordor when you killed civilians. Valhalla lacks those. Then I see there a lot less weapons which is easy to fix in patches and I can understand that Odyssey offered mostly trash loot which couldn't be upgraded - but that took direct inspiration from The Division and other similiar looter games which worked well in Odyssey anyway.

Valhalla needs bug fixes, AI improvements, it should get Mercenary system from Odyssey, loot and skill-tree overhaul. Last three will require time but if they added Immersive mode to Breakpoint, allowed to access island previously exclusive in Raids I think the same amount of work can be done for the newest Assassin's Creed. But no one should expect they will deliver on their season/free-dlc plan - they had to postpone those for Breakpont (and probably also scrapped since community didn't like "them drones everywhere" direction Ghost Recon went).

I already played Odyssey, although without DLCs, so I am not fully convinced on going back there. Some characters and side-plots were annoying for me plus the game is too huge to be pleasant for a comeback I reckon. But the minmaxing builds and the merc system was a great endgame experience. The transmog mechanic, endgame ability investment into passive flat stats and overhaul of Legendary equipment is tempting.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I vaguely recall Origins explaining away most of the fantasy elements as animus grlitches or whatever. Honestly though since they're going so Witcher 3 at this point they might as well go fantasy, fuck it.
From management's point of view, it's cheapest if every setting is a mashup of everything - history, fantasy, scifi, steampunk, whateverthekidsmakeupnext, just in case something ever has to be justified to some drone who tried to think about it on social media.

I don't know, but there is a note or a letter in his hut where he complains about the cold weather, but eventually decides to stay, because the Norwegians need his medical expertise, you know, because they don't have any. I am not kidding.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Lol, so you pretty much assumed you are supposed to kill the nord because the warlock told you so?
In fact, that choice is handled via gameplay, you can kill either of them yourself or let the nord kill the warlock, that is 3 outcomes.

Lol, so you pretty much assumed you are supposed to kill the nord because the warlock told you so?
In fact, that choice is handled via gameplay, you can kill either of them yourself or let the nord kill the warlock, that is 3 outcomes.

No, because the game didn't give me the choice to kill the black dude. They start fighting, and the only one I can hit is the racist. Then after the fight ends I couldn't attack the warlock either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom