Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age - now on Steam

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Why anyone with any feeling of self respect would invest his time in this corporate semimanufactured food, boggles the mind.

I played DAI only a little - just 80 hours, to 100% the Heartlands.

:hmmm:

The state of RPGcodex 2020...

It's awesome button. He literally named himself after a meme about how shit DAII was, then bought the NEXT game in the series despite being too slow to actually get through any of it, and, on top of all of that, when you get down to the brass tacks, I’d be remiss to ignore all the reasons not to be excited for the PlayStation 5.

The world is still reeling under the weight of the covid-19 pandemic. There are more Americans out of work right now than at any point in the country’s history, with no relief in sight. Our health care system is an inherently evil institution that forces people to ration life-saving medications like insulin and choose suicide over suffering with untreated mental illness.

As I’m writing this, it looks very likely that Joe Biden will be our next president. But it’s clear that the worst people aren’t going away just because a new old white man is sitting behind the Resolute desk—well, at least not this old white man. Our government is fundamentally broken in a way that necessitates radical change rather than incremental electorialism.

The harsh truth is that, for the reasons listed above and more, a lot of people simply won’t be able to buy a PlayStation 5, regardless of supply. Or if they can, concerns over increasing austerity in the United States and the growing threat of widespread political violence supersede any enthusiasm about the console’s SSD or how ray tracing makes reflections more realistic. That’s not to say you can’t be excited for those things—I certainly am, on some level—but there’s an irrefutable level of privilege attached to the ability to simply tune out the world as it burns around you.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why anyone with any feeling of self respect would invest his time in this corporate semimanufactured food, boggles the mind.

It's awesome button. He literally named himself after a meme about how shit DAII was, then bought the NEXT game in the series despite being too slow to actually get through any of it, and, on top of all of that, when you get down to the brass tacks, I’d be remiss to ignore all the reasons not to be excited for the PlayStation 5.

The world is still reeling under the weight of the covid-19 pandemic. There are more Americans out of work right now than at any point in the country’s history, with no relief in sight. Our health care system is an inherently evil institution that forces people to ration life-saving medications like insulin and choose suicide over suffering with untreated mental illness.

As I’m writing this, it looks very likely that Joe Biden will be our next president. But it’s clear that the worst people aren’t going away just because a new old white man is sitting behind the Resolute desk—well, at least not this old white man. Our government is fundamentally broken in a way that necessitates radical change rather than incremental electorialism.

The harsh truth is that, for the reasons listed above and more, a lot of people simply won’t be able to buy a PlayStation 5, regardless of supply. Or if they can, concerns over increasing austerity in the United States and the growing threat of widespread political violence supersede any enthusiasm about the console’s SSD or how ray tracing makes reflections more realistic. That’s not to say you can’t be excited for those things—I certainly am, on some level—but there’s an irrefutable level of privilege attached to the ability to simply tune out the world as it burns around you.
Post the rps link you goof, or there're people that'll attribute this garbage to you.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

Post the rps link you goof, or there're people that'll attribute this garbage to you.
But I did post it.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
He literally named himself after a meme about how shit DAII was, then bought the NEXT game in the series despite being too slow to actually get through any of it
I "literally" registered on the codex in order to warn people against buying this turd. Your real problem isn't how many hours I logged in DAI, it's being butthurt over your own shit taste in games.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
He literally named himself after a meme about how shit DAII was, then bought the NEXT game in the series despite being too slow to actually get through any of it
I "literally" registered on the codex in order to warn people against buying this turd. Your real problem isn't how many hours I logged in DAI, it's being butthurt over your own shit taste in games.

I don't even like DA:I, I just wanted to roast the absolute fuck out of you because you're easily the worst poster on this site. You smell bad, you're not interesting, and you don't even do "I hate bioware" as well as someone like felipepepe does. What are you? A joke. You're a joke. What the fuck happened to Exidium II? Now that was a man

AwesomeButton

Patron

I don't even like DA:I, I just wanted to roast the absolute fuck out of you because you're easily the worst poster on this site. You smell bad, you're not interesting, and you don't even do "I hate bioware" as well as someone like felipepepe does. What are you? A joke. You're a joke. What the fuck happened to Exidium II? Now that was a man
'k

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

'k

Bahaha salty mark worked into a shoot

AndrewCC

Educated
Ubisoft does history...

Always has been like this.

Yep. The kung-fu fight with a magical Pope in AC2 should've been a hint.

AC has always stuck to the American idea of portraying history - "more authentic = more boring". So everything must be pimped out and goofed up and sprinkled with glitter to keep people interested.

People are so woozy and dumbefied by all that artificial, hightened-reality glitzy junk they can't see how beautifully raw and cruel and utterly mesmerizing is actual history.

The problem with history is that it happened in real time, and plays badly in a movie, and ever worse in interactive media. It's a fascinating read, but it moved too slowly for us to play through it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The problem with history is that it happened in real time, and plays badly in a movie, and ever worse in interactive media. It's a fascinating read, but it moved too slowly for us to play through it.

There's nothing "slow" about history, movies are bad because of bad characters or plots, not because the setting is too authentic. The opposite in fact - wildly inauthentic props can ruin a good movie while very authentic props can improve a turd.

Your point does have some weight in the vidya world because if all you seek in vidyas is power fantasy you won't find in real historical settings.

AndrewCC

Educated
What I meant is that a real historical story would be spread out over a much larger timeframe than a typical RPG. Something like AC:V should be spread out over like 10-15 years (maybe it is, I've not played it yet).
Bioware were ironically the ones who did the "history is slow" thing best in all the games I've played, with the large timejumps between significant events of the story, in DA2.
Too bad that game had many other flaws, most unrelated to story.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What I meant is that a real historical story would be spread out over a much larger timeframe than a typical RPG. Something like AC:V should be spread out over like 10-15 years (maybe it is, I've not played it yet).

I don't really mind that kind of inauthenticity. If you wanna tell a story you have to shrink it, leave out some details. That's fine.

Something like I, Claudius is a fantastic example. It covers the first 50 years of the Roman Empire, from Augustus to Claudius, and it's only a couple of episodes. It doesn't give you the full picture, not even close, but it does give you a good idea about that time period - nothing wrong with that.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Did the Ubisoft+ shit for a month to try out this one, Watch Dogs and cartoony one when it comes out next week. Didnt feel like paying full price, might as well rent it eventho Watchdogs is at like only 35 euros now less than a month of its release, should be 25 till xmass.

Performance wise its same as Odyssey, playing on optimized high settings and getting like 80-90 fps at 1080p on my 7 year old rig with 1070 ti in it.

Played it for 7 hours now, its pretty much reskinned Odyssey gameplay wise with some more drama and mini quests/world events.

Combat is still piss easy with epic long iframes eventho I play on Hard+master assassin.
Upgrade hunter bow, add crit chance, dodge the big fucks to activate iframes and headshot.
My axe is on same upgrade level, it does like 20-30 damage per hit, arrow to head is 130.
Nice touch that it shows weak spots on enemies too.

Overall, same same.
If you didnt play two previous entries it might be more fun than for the rest of us.

The Real Fanboy
I finally tried this game and omg it is legit the best rpg this year at least until like Cyberpunk releases (tho i really can't remember any other rpgs that released this year except for the Outer Worlds DLC) with the most fierce main character since Aloy! Eivor slays like totally literally and figuratively and the game also has some really pretty face tattoos that you can give her. Also she is totally how I played Deadfire with my Steel Garrote paladin/barbarian except I think Eivor is even cooler because she also raps
QSGbFWI.png
QSGbFWI.png

Oracsbox

Today's Patch 1.04 has fixed a number of issues, including stuff not mentioned in the patch notes.

https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/84566/assassin-s-creed-valhalla-title-update-1-0-4?lang=en-US

other thoughts..
combat is probaby the most mediocre of any assassins creed game, at least for me, it gets a better when you unlock all the move-sets but it's not amazing, if possible I like to stealth kill everything, for a challenge.

level cap is 400 which is done easily enough just playing through the game, after that it's mastery levels which are probably infinite.

I do like how a number of side quests can be completed in various ways, you always get the big sign posted option, but a moment's thought can often give you something else.

The Valhalla part was more interesting than I thought it'd be, it has the cycle of the builder myth, and some of the imagery and the use of illusion magic in the Jotunheim puzzles was great, although If you're not familiar with Norse mythology some of it probably seems very odd/weird.

If Ubisoft had resisted the girl power stuff, I'd have been a lot happier because when it's not there the game improves immeasurably. The occasional female villain and tough talking warrior wombyn sound and also look completely retarded, I also have no intention of ever playing female Eivor.

The wickerman, and pagan stuff is quite cool if utter bollocks.

I did feel with all the Roman stuff about the game may have been more suitable set in the 5th century with Romano-Britons fighting Saxons.

The ship and crew mechanic are also fairly pointless, I seldom used it and only needed the crew to recover treasure.
The "build your own village" is also something that always sounds good but in practice ...but I seldom visited it.
That's just a personal thing others might enjoy that more.

I could have done with less dialogue, it's done ok, but I'm playing a game not watching a film, I do wish developers would reign themselves in sometimes.

I've put in about 100hrs ...
:what:

...so far and still haven't completed it, so if you enjoy the gameplay it's good but if you don't, it would indeed be a horrific grind, but then more fool you for playing something you don't like.

As to historical accuracy, there isn't any, it's a fantasy game in a historical setting and no more than that.

Oracsbox

I don't like the map, it's not as useful as it should be, they need to add some clear icons for forts, villages and bandit camps etc..like Origins and Odyssey had.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Instead of bitching about meaningless drivel, how about you create your own game? Whatever happened to creative freedom? This chick is seriously deluded. If she thinks that her self-righteous tantrums are a boon to anyone or anything, then that's her megalomania asserting itself. How does she not realize that none of her bullshit matters, least of all her girlfriends deformed face? At least most of these people have clown-colored hair like her(?), it serves as an unmistakable caution sign, reading: "DO NOT TAKE ME SERIOUS." Oh, and Ubisoft are pussies.... though they'd take that as a compliment.

5023318930.jpg
5614189931.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom