Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Oracsbox, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Alexander DeLarge Cipher

Alexander DeLarge
    Odyssey is basically Witcher 3 with a Diablo style loot system and look up footage of the exploration mode which turns an above average experience into a super memorable one. I really like Odyssey and Valhalla.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik Wumao

Hóngwèibīng
    Isn't it pozzed af though? I recall some footage showcasing ancient Greek characters looking Subsaharan tier.

^ Top  
  3. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Odyssey was probably a fluke but yeah it's good
    They got the bright idea of taking interesting mechanics from a bunch of different popular games and smashing them together while de-emphasizing the ubisoft formula.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yeah, an Assassins Creed game where you can't assassinate anyone. Awesome concept 10/10 GOTY material.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Odyssey is to TW3 what Aliens are to Alien - a dumb but enjoyable action sequel to a smart and stylish masterpiece.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    ^ Top  
  6. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik Wumao

Hóngwèibīng
    Heard even worse things about Valhalla in terms of how it portrays history.

^ Top  
  7. ADULF HITLOR FAN KLUB Arcane

ADULF HITLOR FAN KLUB
    According to Ubisoft, sub-saharan African Greeks and sub-saharan African Vikings are rather common.

Historically accurate or WE WUZ? You decide.

• honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Yeah I wanted to say "Odyssey is to TW3...", my bad.

As for Valhalla, AC was never super concerned about portraying history faithfully, it has always been full of great historical detail but Ubi never let history stand in the way of mass-market entertainment.

It's about as faithful as the TV show Vikings, i.e. not much but it's not an all-out assault on your intelligence either. If you wanna something a

^ Top  
  9. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    IMO the original was pretty grounded. 1 & 2 are very, "Okay this kind of makes sense, secret society based on templars a few hundred years later isn't that unbelievable in a make-believe kind of way", but with 3 and onwards they just completely jumped the shark. The moment they went "ackshually templars predate templars and the crusades existing at all" was the moment they became an absolute joke.

And 3 and onwards is also when they started advertising the whole "this game is made by a team of dindus and trannies" disclaimer and became openly woke, with templars being associated with ebil right-wingers and etc. Before then it was relatively "okay".

^ Top  
  10. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yeah the first one made great effort to fit in with real history. One of the things that drew me to the series. And made me hate it later when they abandoned that.

The THIS GAME IS MADE BY A MULTIKULT TEAM PLEASE DON'T SUICIDE BOMB US ISLAM IS PEACEFUL disclaimer was there from day 1 though.

^ Top  
  11. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Gotta admit, never really played the first game. Bought it for peanuts on GOG three years ago, tinkered with it for an hour or so but by that time I was already spoiled by later sequels and the original felt incredibly anemic, repetitive and BSB.

I remember loving AC2 but again - full of genuine historical detail (buildings, clothes etc.) but I also remember riding a wooden tank or some such and blasting enemies. So whenever "fun" calls for some ridiculous "AWESUM VISCERUL" moment Ubisoft doesn't hesitate to crank it up to eleven, history be damned.

Btw if ya'll wanna play a truly grounded, historical Viking game go for Expeditions: Viking. An amazing party based, turn-based, Fallout-like RPG with great attention to historical detail, made by actual Danes :obviously:.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    ^ Top  
  12. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Was it? Huh, guess I just forgot it. But AC3 to me seems to be the moment where they just went overboard. I still liked parts of it, but it's the point from which it really starts to become a slog of having to ignore like 50% of the game to enjoy the other 50%. And it was mostly just carried for me by the fact I really love snow environments.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Atlantico unida e indivisible Patron Vatnik

Atlantico
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    It's basically larping as a mercenary in ancient Greece, and very light on the AC part.

It's open world, and well worth it if you want to play an action RPG set in ancient Greece. Just avoid the DLCs, they are trash... as Rusty said, this game is probably a complete fluke.

So if you get the base game on deep discount, like 20 bucks, go for it. I hate AC, and I still liked this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I like 3 solely for larping discount tarzan.

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    One thing odyssey has over TW3 in the RPG department is that it has better itemization. Mostly because TW3 has some of the worst itemization of any RPG.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Tyranicon A Memory of Eternity Developer

Tyranicon
    One thing I'll give 3 is the fucking brutal combat moves. The only good thing about synched combat is that the animations did look sweet.

Animation-wise, everything from Origins onwards is steep decline.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Uhh, if you are considering playing this in March 2022, when ELEX 2 comes out, please self-revoke your Codex membership immediately.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. baud Arcane Patron

baud
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I think the tank was adapted from a drawing of Leonardo da Vinci, so it's already more historical than other shit Ubisoft did with AC

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    Worth noting that the meta/modern-day plot in AC is irrredemable shit, and the developers continue forcing the player to sit/play through it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  20. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Yeah, that they killed off a character that a lot of people generally liked in favor of the manboon of the week is the ironic part. It's like they want to be hated.

• cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. prengle Savant

prengle
    why the fuck does this game have a 52 page long thread

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    it's good

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. just Savant

just
    whats next setting on the list? mesoamerica?

^ Top  
  24. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    This isn't the odyssey thread.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    AC plot stuff actively hurts the rest of the game. E.g., in Odyssey it cheapens the ancient Greek mythos and take away the mystery.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.