Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Astroneer - game of aerospace industry and interplanetary exploration.

Discussion in 'Space Games' started by Kev Inkline, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Ok, somehow the aesthetics of the trailer for this upcoming early access hit the right never with me. I would guess it is some sort of Space Engineers lite (with even less realistic physics), or No Man's sky meets Minecraft. I will definitely be looking forward this game, in particular since my rig cannot run SE anymore after the introduction of planets.

Early Access expected in Q1/2016.

Developed in Unreal 4 engine, by a company called System Era Softworks from Seattle.

http://astroneer.space/

Media coverage:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/8/9483347/astroneer-video-game-space-exploration

http://kotaku.com/upcoming-astronaut-space-exploration-game-looks-amazing-1735203176

Trailer:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  2. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Looks like someone made some 3d models and desperately wanted to make a game with them.

Garbage.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    1. Does it have world generator? Could be fun. " Each world is procedurally generated," is a tall order.
    2. Does it have physic engine? Cause That is one thing to differentiate worlds.
    3. Does it have resource balance? Well the lack could be fun in its own way.

^ Top  
  4. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    GDC pre-alpha demo, shown to Giant Bomb.

On a closer look, not sure how I feel about the motley aesthetics of the game, but crafting system at least seems a fun idea: You 3D print stuff out.

Seems pretty lite on space travel and physics. Though the rocket orbiting the planet at the end of the presentation looks nice.

Planets are randomly generated, but they are composed of biomes defined off-line, which the generator then randomly picks.

You can actually mine yourself to the planet core, if I understood correctly.

Great potential for sculpting penises.

^ Top  
  5. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
  6. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    Dude I don't know, hard to make up my mind about this. On one hand I like how you can mold/terraform pretty much everything to your liking, reminiscent of childhood days playing with putty.

But then again, the pungent colours and some of the objects are almost migraine inducing.

^ Top  
  7. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    Ok, I'll put my shill hat on, this from the devs:

http://blog.astroneer.space/system-era/expectations/

^ Top  
  8. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    What expectations?

^ Top  
  9. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    My interpretation is that he wants to cover all bases now that some silly people have started claiming Astroneer would be the game NMS was meant to be etc.

I personally hope that the game will be little fun $20.00 priced indie, where I can mold penises and swastikas terraform planet's surface to my liking. The game being light survival/exploration sim in general.

^ Top  
  10. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    The price confirmed to be USD 19.99.

^ Top  
  11. Drax Arcane

Drax
    Will follow with mild enthusiasm.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    Minimum specs revealed

It'll be available in potato and in some crazy guttural languages, what sorcery is this?

http://blog.astroneer.space/p/information-update-min-spec-localization/

^ Top  
  13. Drax Arcane

Drax
    :lol:

What's the point of having "latin" spanish and "castillian". Most LatAm countries with the exception of :obviously: Argentina speaks pretty much the same thing as spanish people do just with different accent.
    Only Argie spanish has real linguistic differences.
    Way to waste resources imo.

^ Top  
  14. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Drax has never been to Spain.
    Castillano has the same standing as Hochdeutsch in Switzerland. That means people will cooperate in communicating with you, but despise it. And when they talk to each other in their own language you hardly understand a word.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Hoodoo It gets passed around. Dumbfuck

Hoodoo
    looks neat
    what is the griefing potential in mp?

^ Top  
  16. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    At least dicks are very easy to sculpt.

Don't think it'll have public servers though, but just guessing.

^ Top  
  17. dehimos Augur

dehimos
    There is not a great difference with the texts, even with the Argentineans. The differences in the lexicon (for example; "ustedes" or "vosotros", this means the same: "you") are appreciable by Spaniards and South Americans. Some people are offended by these small changes, so often two types of spanish are introduced.

Another thing is the accents or the local informal language.

^ Top  
  18. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    Early access live the next Friday.

^ Top  
  19. Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    No hostiles other than the environmental hazards implemented yet, right?

^ Top  
  20. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    Strictly speaking, you'd think being in SPACE would be hazardous enough without the need for hostile aliens.

^ Top  
  21. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    I've touched the game only a little - but there are no other threats that I would have seen.

You have to keep yourself tethered to the landing module all the time, since your oxygen tank lasts for about two minutes without the connection. And you have to craft those tethers yourself by finding a resource called 'compound'. So far I think this is the silliest part of the game, as it introduces artifical scarcity that really does not enhance the experience.

Crafting is something very simple, you have like 5 different recources, each of which can be used to produce different artifacts. Also extending the base module happens that way, this whole system is really casual.

Overall, I think that's just what the game is, a really casual cute little game, that aspires nothing more. I'll post a more throughout impressions once I've proceeded enough to lift off to other planets in the system.

^ Top  
  22. Muty Prophet Patron

Muty
    Wasteland 2 BattleTech
    Got this yesterday, looks gay as fuck. I'll probably refund it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    If they add them, they need to be extremely rare in this kind of game. Not everywhere like in Shit Turd's Sty.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    ^ Top  
  24. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Ways to die:

# Suffocate by running out of oxygen.
    # Fall from a great height (Actually haven't tried this, but sounds logical.)
    # Get clobbered by rocking during a very strong sandstorm.
    # Choke to death on poison gas thrown at you (?!?) by some kind of bulbous plant-sack thingie down in the caverns.

There are 2 "low-tier" resources that form the base for most building in the game, and a further 4 or so metals that form the next tier of resources. While the game does expect you to go find them, I managed to research and build a trade outpost and just traded away "Organics" (harvest plants) to get the specific metals I needed.

To research items, first a lab must be built and then large "chunks" of metal found and dragged to the lab. Almost all of them are buried underground, so try digging under any funny-looking bits of scenery you may come across. Human-built craft can also have items you can scavenge.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Direwolf Arcane

Direwolf
    Played it for 3 hours yesterday. I usually hate survival shit, but this one is pretty fun.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.