Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

At Night, The New Poll Constantly Haunts My Dreams

Jason

chasing a bee
Once again, the last poll was horrible, so we have a new one on the front page: Does the story matter to you in a strategy game?

Are there any titles you can point to that actually did have an interesting storyline or are they all a blur of base-building and rushing?

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
It's not so much the story but the setting for me. I couldn't give two damns about how the King needs help to defend his kingdom against the Evil Threat(tm) but if the setting is really neat, I'll be much more interested. This goes for unit types, missions, et cetera.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Are there any titles you can point to that actually did have an interesting storyline or are they all a blur of base-building and rushing?
Hmm...nope. I guess Starcraft was pretty cool, not an incredible story but not a bad one. I can't think of any other game that doesn't have an utterly terrible storyline. Warcraft 3 has some of the stupidest dialogue...I've been replaying it lately and I've skipped every single cutscene, even though I try to follow the story at least a little.

Since in most RTS games the primary form of play is a "skirmish" mode, story is pretty irrelevant and the setting becomes hugely important by constrast. Starcraft's setting is pretty cool, and while the setting itself for Total Annihilation isn't all that great the units are. I do kinda like Warcraft 3's stuff, campy, cartoony, and unoriginal as it is the Blizzard folks know art direction.

sheek

Arbiter
I think a good story adds to a good game but I'm not allowed to vote.

Jason

chasing a bee
You have to log in through the TCancer main page to vote. It's that way because DU hates democracy in general and you in particular.

sheek

Arbiter
Thanks for the tip. I'm now registered (with a password Dark_Underlord won't like, haha).

Jason

chasing a bee
You should have been able to use your Codex log in through the TCancer page. You don't need to register twice. But, hey, if it makes you feel twice as special...

sheek

Arbiter
Obviously I tried that before and it didn't work.

[And now I can't log out of TC, it logs me out of RPGCodex instead]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom