Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

At which point did Bioware run out of money?

Arbiter

Scholar
The decision to sell the company to EA was likely driven by financial situation. At which point did Bioware run out of money? All their games with the exception of Jade Empire were successful, IIRC. Was it mismanagement? Or did the doctors simply want to cash out?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They didn't run out of money. The Biodocs were pretty clearly looking to expand operations (eg, founding an entire new studio in Austin to develop The Old Republic MMO) and they needed more capital for that. Two years before being acquired by EA they'd already sold out to a private equity firm called Elevation Partners.

Camel

Scholar
I think I've read that the doctors sold Bioware to EA for financial security and for being a cog in a well-oiled machine. Little did they know about being forced to lend their Frostbite engine programmers to FIFA(EA's main cash cow which brings them billions of dollars) developers which caused huge problems when developing ME: Andromeda or being forced to develop DA2 in 1,5 years when DA:O took 5 years.
Gamasutra sat down with BioWare to get their take on the acquisition by EA. In the interview, president and co-executive producer Greg Zeschuk and chairman, CEO and co-executive producer Ray Muzyka discuss the deal from their perspective, detailing what the studio will gain, and what the change means for maintaining the freedom to continue developing in their idiosyncratic style. When we talked to Pandemic, they used the word "driving," saying they "drove" the acquisition. How does BioWare feel, from your perspective? Ray Muzyka: I think we're really excited about the addition of John Riccitiello. We've known him for a couple years now, and we've worked with him really closely, and we're excited to work with him again. To work for him, actually, again. Also, the other folks, the people on his team, guys like Frank Gibeau, they share the same values that we have. I think this is really a collaborative kind of partnership where we're really striving to pursue excellence, innovation, creativity, and quality in our products. Quality in our workplace. Trying to make the best place in the world for a team, and entrepreneurship. Really, trying to think of new ways to innovate and trying to reach new kinds of fans, drive the excellence that BioWare's known for to even more people. I think the great publishing and marketing support, with the great development and marketing resources we already have at BioWare.
https://www.gamedeveloper.com/pc/q-a-bioware-on-the-ea-acquisition

Last edited:

Arbiter

Scholar
... detailing what the studio will gain, and what the change means for maintaining the freedom to continue developing in their idiosyncratic style.

That did not age well.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I doubt there's anyone from Bioware still working there. And if there is anyone, they would have been made tranquil.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Or that short period in 2009 - 2011 when EA was just re-naming every B studio they had to be a Bioware Studio.

• BioWare Montreal
  • BioWare San Francisco
  • Bioware Mythic
  • BioWare Victor
  • BioWare WayStone
  • BioWare Sacramento

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom