Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atari - another nail in the coffin

suibhne

Erudite
Seen at Kotaku, from digitalmediawire:
Video game publisher Atari announced that it will seek approval from shareholders to effect a one-for-ten reverse stock split, in an attempt to raise the company's sagging $0.50 share price above the Nasdaq's $1 minimum requirement for continued listing.

I'm sure NWN2 will float them for a bit, but really...things don't look so hot for our heroes^H^H^H^H^H the bastards.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
one-for-ten reverse stock split.

LOL

Well, the really hilarious thing is that they continue on with the exact same practices as ever even with their dying gasp. It reminds me of Herbert Hoover saying 'nothing can be done' about the depression.

Even a couple years ago they could have easily turned it around by putting out games in a nonfucked state and supporting them, but now we will get to dance on their graves. SOme other fucktard company will surely by the name just for its recognition value, but at this point I would think all conotation with the name atari would be negative with anyone under 35.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Does the name Atari even mean shit to people over 35? I mean, they haven't exactly had a good reputation since they stopped making consoles.

Infrogames sucks a big dick. Why don't they try buying out Interplay for the name ;)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The guys at Black Isle/Obsidian must have done something really shitty in their past lives. They can't seem to get a decent brake.

Solaris

Scholar
I actually despise Atari more than EA....and that's saying something, lol

It really grips my shit to buy one of their games (NWN2)....but I looked through that to hopefully get a proper rpg to play. Since this year has been somewhat of a disaster year for the genre.

I don't really know the ins and outs of what has gone on at Obsidian but do wonder why they couldn't have found a better publisher than those assholes. Surely somebody else would have an interest in a well known tried and trusted label? Or maybe its a sign of the times that nobody wants to publish traditional style rpgs anymore...?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Atari owns the DnD license. So, if one wants to make a DnD game...

crufty

Arcane
Isn't Atari aka Infogrammes, which was hosed from the get go? It's been just a name for quite some time if I recall correctly...

Ladonna

Arcane
Just another company that eventually will fail due to only looking out for its bottom line.

Who will that leave us with?

EA? :cry:
Jowood? :roll:

Who are all the other publishers? Vivendi? That French mob? I can think of a heap of Distributors, but few publisher names at the moment.

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
Ladonna said:
Just another company that eventually will fail due to only looking out for its bottom line.

Clearly they are doing a piss-poor job of protecting the bottom line, or they would not be in such a mess.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ladonna said:

Who will that leave us with?

EA? :cry:
Jowood? :roll:

Who are all the other publishers? Vivendi? That French mob? I can think of a heap of Distributors, but few publisher names at the moment.
You forget Ubisoft, who are pretty powerful and really seem to be some of the better guys in the indusrty, if that can be said about any games publisher.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I sense an upcoming power vacuum within the publishing community. Probably, when atari goes belly up, DnD will get auctioned off like that! Who tho, will snag it up I wonder?

sheek

Arbiter
Major_Blackhart said:
I sense an upcoming power vacuum within the publishing community. Probably, when atari goes belly up, DnD will get auctioned off like that! Who tho, will snag it up I wonder?

Who cares? Apart from TOEE how many great games have been made under that license?

cutterjohn

Cipher
I'd hold up on the Atari obituary just now, as they got $15M in revolving credit today. Mention was made that they received the credit line because of outstanding accounts receivable, which would tend to imply to me that the bank involved thinks that they can get the money back with a fair degree of certainty...

Besides, I'd like to see a little more work on NWN2 before they croak, unless the AD&D license would go to Bioware. Unlike many here, while I don't care for the vast majority of Bioware games*, they do a) try, and b) support the fuck out of their products unlike MOST other developers. Exceptions being Valve, Ascaron(releasing final Sacred patch next week). There are a few others as well, but as I do not own their products I can't recall which ones off hand.

* The only Bioware game that I sort of like out of BG, BG:TotSC, BG2, NWN1, and KotOR would be NWN1. The rest are pretty damned boring.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Lyric Suite said:
sheek said:
Who cares? Apart from TOEE how many great games have been made under that license?

Torment?

Torment was a great game despite its system. Nothing that was great about it owes anything to being D&D, except perhaps alignment but that's easily emulated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom