Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atari - another nail in the coffin

sheek

Arbiter
Exactly. Maybe you could say the same about TOEE. The combat was well implemented but really that just a reflection on how fucking bad combat is in almost every other RPG ever made.

The only advantage of AD&D is it's (relative) simplicity and familiarity. That's important in PnP, on a computer where you don't need to know any rules it's useless.

aries202

Erudite
HI :)

Atari has gotten or bought the licence form making D&D crpg games from Hasbro (or Wizards of the Coast) who owns the license. (there could be some minor details I can't remember right now...)

I think that Atari did just recentlu renew the D&D license for another 10-15 years. Personally, I would like Bioware to get the D&D license.

However, I don't think Bioware is interested in
getting the D&D license, since they're focusing
on making their own worlds like say the Mass Effect universe or the Dragon Age universe.

Personally, I like Bioware's game as well as their
support for their games. But then again, I like a good story...

cutterjohn

Cipher
sheek said:
Exactly. Maybe you could say the same about TOEE. The combat was well implemented but really that just a reflection on how fucking bad combat is in almost every other RPG ever made.

The only advantage of AD&D is it's (relative) simplicity and familiarity. That's important in PnP, on a computer where you don't need to know any rules it's useless.
I'll have to disagree with you wrt to lousy combat in other RPGs UNLESS you qualify that remark by adding realtime to it.

I for one had ALOT of fun with combat in the gold box SSI AD&D games...

suibhne

Erudite
The only reason I'd regret Atari's passing is lack of support for NWN2, which really needs it. But it looks like they'll be up for awhile yet with that new credit line, so meh.

If they sunk, I'd have to choose Ubi as my favorite current major developer (and that's damning with faint praise). Ubi has near-zero experience with RPGs, tho; I'm worried someone like EA would pick up the license instead and churn out titles far worse than anything we've seen to date.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
suibhne said:
The only reason I'd regret Atari's passing is lack of support for NWN2, which really needs it. But it looks like they'll be up for awhile yet with that new credit line, so meh.

If they sunk, I'd have to choose Ubi as my favorite current major developer (and that's damning with faint praise). Ubi has near-zero experience with RPGs, tho; I'm worried someone like EA would pick up the license instead and churn out titles far worse than anything we've seen to date.
They're way ahead of you:

Madden RPG 2K6
EA Games

Features football in a DnD setting.

Netherium19

Novice

If Bethesda was to buy the D&D license, I'd have a reason to sell my computer and all of my games. Seriously. I would give up every form of electronic gaming and read old D&D books and stay in the past. Fuck Bethesda. :evil:

sheek

Arbiter
Could Bethesda afford the D&D franchise? I can see them getting a license for one game but they're not that big a company

Morgoth said:
I wonder if they even bother with SPECIAL in F3?

I wouldn't be surprised if the following IGN RPGey Todd interview surfaces:

On the Controls:

Fallout 3 will require an analog control pad. Analog is the future, and the future is now.

On the SPECIAL system:

We decided to ditch most aspects of the byzantine SPECIAL system and instead implemented a new breakthrough, more intuitive RPGey system. To calculate your Strength rating, the player will have to repeatedly mash on the B button. The intensity in which he does so, thanks to the innovative analog control system, will determine his/her Strength. To gauge the player's Agility, the player will have to repeatedly press and cycle through the A, Y, and Right trigger (or what we call the "Gun" button) buttons several times as quickly as possible. The greater the rapidity, the higher the player's Agility score will be. If you have very high Strength, your character will turn Black and be ripped with muscles. If you have extremely high Agility, your character will have ample tits with a thin waist.

Don't worry if you perform poorly though; there are several items in the living, breathing gameworld that greatly boosts your scores, such as a Big Power Fist that adds +6 to your strength when equipped.

Human Shield

Augur
Admiral jimbob said:
You expect him to use words like "byzantine"?

Just lots of: innovation, revolution, evolution, refreshing, groundbreaking, quantum leap, and 'new and improved'.

stargelman

Scholar
According to my information, SPECIAL is in. How much influence it will have in the game and how well it is implemented is another matter entirely.

EEVIAC

Erudite
stargelman said:
According to my information, SPECIAL is in. How much influence it will have in the game and how well it is implemented is another matter entirely.

SPECIAL is for hexes and turn-based (and steers and queers.) I don't think it'd work in real-time at all. They should shit-can both SPECIAL and whatever they call the abomination used in the TES games and write something from scratch.

As for D&D, they might want to find a more stable computer game publisher, especially since their nearest rival White Wolf has merged with CCP (makers of EVEOnline.)

Gwendo

Augur
EEVIAC said:
SPECIAL is for hexes and turn-based (and steers and queers.) I don't think it'd work in real-time at all.

Fallot Tactics could be played in real-time...

EEVIAC

Erudite
Gwendo said:
Fallot Tactics could be played in real-time...

Lionheart played in real-time as well, doesn't make it any good. SPECIAL was designed as a kludge for GURPS, its not that great a system by itself. The perks and the game design that backed them up made it a lot more interesting.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Admiral jimbob said:
You expect him to use words like "byzantine"?

We've cut through the cordian naught of byzaline 'rules' and narrowed DnD down to three attributes. Muscle, Magic, and Wang.

Actually, Muscle, magic & Wang would be an excellent title for a superheroes of hobkoen like game.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
kingcomrade said:
Lyric Suite said:
sheek said:
Who cares? Apart from TOEE how many great games have been made under that license?

Torment?

Torment was a great game despite its system. Nothing that was great about it owes anything to being D&D, except perhaps alignment but that's easily emulated.

The setting is also very good in that case. Of course the forgotten realms setting is utter CRAP, and that seems to be where all DnD games these days are set.

RGE

Liturgist
Apparently D&D Online is set in their new world Eberron, but I don't know much more about either the world or the game. Well, I've noticed that they have something called "warforged", which seems to be either a race or a template for those who want to be extra tough. And cool. Or something.

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter who has the D&D license. I didn't like what little I played of the SSI games either. Wasteland had already showed how it's supposed to be done, and SSI must've chosen not to do it that way. And since then, D&D single player campaigns/games have continued to disappoint me. They say that Hordes of the Underdark actually isn't so bad, but I'm struggling to bring myself back to playing it. The initial dungeoncrawl was kind of fun though, probably because I didn't have to follow their plot while doing it.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Or one of those vibrating wii sticks. Don't worry, I don't plan to use it how you're thinking. I'm going to stick it up my asshole.

edit- tee hee wee stick

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom