Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Atari - another nail in the coffin

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by suibhne, Nov 9, 2006.

1. sheek Arbiter

sheek
    Exactly. Maybe you could say the same about TOEE. The combat was well implemented but really that just a reflection on how fucking bad combat is in almost every other RPG ever made.

The only advantage of AD&D is it's (relative) simplicity and familiarity. That's important in PnP, on a computer where you don't need to know any rules it's useless.

^ Top  
  2. aries202 Erudite

aries202
    HI :)

Atari has gotten or bought the licence form making D&D crpg games from Hasbro (or Wizards of the Coast) who owns the license. (there could be some minor details I can't remember right now...)

I think that Atari did just recentlu renew the D&D license for another 10-15 years. Personally, I would like Bioware to get the D&D license.

However, I don't think Bioware is interested in
    getting the D&D license, since they're focusing
    on making their own worlds like say the Mass Effect universe or the Dragon Age universe.

Personally, I like Bioware's game as well as their
    support for their games. But then again, I like a good story...

^ Top  
  3. cutterjohn Cipher

cutterjohn
    I'll have to disagree with you wrt to lousy combat in other RPGs UNLESS you qualify that remark by adding realtime to it.

I for one had ALOT of fun with combat in the gold box SSI AD&D games...

^ Top  
  4. suibhne Erudite

suibhne
    The only reason I'd regret Atari's passing is lack of support for NWN2, which really needs it. But it looks like they'll be up for awhile yet with that new credit line, so meh.

If they sunk, I'd have to choose Ubi as my favorite current major developer (and that's damning with faint praise). Ubi has near-zero experience with RPGs, tho; I'm worried someone like EA would pick up the license instead and churn out titles far worse than anything we've seen to date.

^ Top  
  5. OccupatedVoid Arbiter

OccupatedVoid
    They're way ahead of you:

Madden RPG 2K6
    EA Games

Features football in a DnD setting.

^ Top  
  6. St. Toxic Arcane

St. Toxic
    How will we survive? :pretends to cry:

^ Top  
  7. stargelman Scholar

stargelman
    You just wait until Atari goes bye-bye and Bethesda snatches the D&D license.

Let's see if you're still laughing then.

^ Top  
  8. Netherium19 Novice

Netherium19

If Bethesda was to buy the D&D license, I'd have a reason to sell my computer and all of my games. Seriously. I would give up every form of electronic gaming and read old D&D books and stay in the past. Fuck Bethesda. :evil:

^ Top  
  9. OverrideB1 Scholar

OverrideB1
    I'd laugh, like a freaking drain. Then count the days until Bethesda royally fucked up another franchise...

^ Top  
  10. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    I doubt Bethesda would get the D&D license: It's complexity would boggle Todd's brain into puree.

I wonder if they even bother with SPECIAL in F3?

^ Top  
  11. sheek Arbiter

sheek
    Could Bethesda afford the D&D franchise? I can see them getting a license for one game but they're not that big a company

^ Top  
  12. Admiral Rimjob POOBUM Arcane

Admiral Rimjob POOBUM
    No.

^ Top  
  13. Chinese Jetpilot Arcane Patron

Chinese Jetpilot
    I wouldn't be surprised if the following IGN RPGey Todd interview surfaces:

^ Top  
  14. Admiral Rimjob POOBUM Arcane

Admiral Rimjob POOBUM
    You expect him to use words like "byzantine"?

^ Top  
  15. Human Shield Augur

Human Shield
    Just lots of: innovation, revolution, evolution, refreshing, groundbreaking, quantum leap, and 'new and improved'.

^ Top  
  16. stargelman Scholar

stargelman
    According to my information, SPECIAL is in. How much influence it will have in the game and how well it is implemented is another matter entirely.

^ Top  
  17. EEVIAC Erudite

EEVIAC
    SPECIAL is for hexes and turn-based (and steers and queers.) I don't think it'd work in real-time at all. They should shit-can both SPECIAL and whatever they call the abomination used in the TES games and write something from scratch.

As for D&D, they might want to find a more stable computer game publisher, especially since their nearest rival White Wolf has merged with CCP (makers of EVEOnline.)

^ Top  
  18. Gwendo Augur

Gwendo
    Fallot Tactics could be played in real-time...

^ Top  
  19. EEVIAC Erudite

EEVIAC
    Lionheart played in real-time as well, doesn't make it any good. SPECIAL was designed as a kludge for GURPS, its not that great a system by itself. The perks and the game design that backed them up made it a lot more interesting.

^ Top  
  20. Jim Kata Arbiter

Jim Kata
    We've cut through the cordian naught of byzaline 'rules' and narrowed DnD down to three attributes. Muscle, Magic, and Wang.

Actually, Muscle, magic & Wang would be an excellent title for a superheroes of hobkoen like game.

^ Top  
  21. Jim Kata Arbiter

Jim Kata
    The setting is also very good in that case. Of course the forgotten realms setting is utter CRAP, and that seems to be where all DnD games these days are set.

^ Top  
  22. RGE Liturgist

RGE
    Apparently D&D Online is set in their new world Eberron, but I don't know much more about either the world or the game. Well, I've noticed that they have something called "warforged", which seems to be either a race or a template for those who want to be extra tough. And cool. Or something.

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter who has the D&D license. I didn't like what little I played of the SSI games either. Wasteland had already showed how it's supposed to be done, and SSI must've chosen not to do it that way. And since then, D&D single player campaigns/games have continued to disappoint me. They say that Hordes of the Underdark actually isn't so bad, but I'm struggling to bring myself back to playing it. The initial dungeoncrawl was kind of fun though, probably because I didn't have to follow their plot while doing it.

^ Top  
  23. obediah Erudite

obediah
    Catch up guys - FO3 will be a rhythm game.

^ Top  
  24. suibhne Erudite

suibhne
    That's okay as long as it comes with a custom bongo controller.

^ Top  
  25. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    Or one of those vibrating wii sticks. Don't worry, I don't plan to use it how you're thinking. I'm going to stick it up my asshole.

edit- tee hee wee stick

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.