Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Atari Corpse Looting: Stardock got Star Control, Wargaming got MoO and Total Annihilation

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron, we need some of your Jewish snooping.

I've been trying to snoop about this all week, but there seems to be absolutely no news coverage. Gaming journalism at its finest!

Hellraiser

Arcane
Why buy these franchises? They both have a rather generic space species design with no rich background history. I think gameplay or humour is not part of franchise right?

Because corporate suits think it saves up on marketing to use an established IP as you don't need to create a fanbase from nothing."Newest installment in the highly acclaimed Master of Orion series!" sounds better than "New revolutionary space empire-building game!" to the masses if you ask me.

And they're right about it although they're overestimating how far they can ride on fame alone when they pull off dumbing down like with "XCOM".

Also FFS who bought all of this, goddamn suits and journos.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Had a feeling Stardock would get something. Maybe they'll surprise us all and reveal they got Rollercoaster: Tycoon, but that one was expensive.

Man, the tension is just killing me.

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Frogboy said:
July 20, 2013 7:34:50 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums
space.gif

While we did try to get MOO, Wargamer.net got that. We picked up something else that we're very excited about.
Does he mean Wargaming.net? So a F2P World of MOO?:rage:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:eek: Does this mean Stardock got Star Control?

Also inb4 Chris Taylor's Master of Orion sequel

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Chris 'Cry Me a River' Taylor -- should be great terrible.

Absalom

Frogboy said:
I wonder what people would think of a Stardock developed Star Control game.
Stardock Fanboy said:
I would want it. You will always have those dicks who will always hate the new version of the old thing they love no matter how good the new version is( Firaxis XCOM or Beth Fallout), but fuck those guys. Stardock Star Control sounds awesome.
I'll wait until the official announcement to get butthurt but christ

Hellraiser

Arcane
Well, I will say one thing, at least it's not gearbox or some other studio that needs publisher money to operate. They could make a proper non-dumbed down MOO, I just don't think wargaming has the brains to figure that out or that there are devs there that have an idea how to improve the formula.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Star Controller has the full details: http://starcontroller.com/?p=2232

Introduction

The Atari auctions are now completed. A three-page court document has been released with the results of the July 18 auctions.

Stardock Systems (Sins of a Solar Empire, Demigod, Galactic Civilations) is the highest bidder for Star Control with On The Go Technology LLC (a mortgage technology development company).

Asset(s) Successful Bidder Back-up Bidder

Backyard Sports Franchise Epic Gear, LLC N/A
Humongous Franchise, Fatty Bear’s Birthday Surprise, Math Gran Prix Tommo, Inc. N/A
Total Annihilation Franchise Wargaming World Limited Uber Entertainment, Inc.
Battlezone Franchise Rebellion Interactive Games Limited Tommo, Inc.
Master of Orion Franchise Wargaming World Limited Stardock Systems, Inc.
Moonbase Commander Franchise Rebellion Interactive Games Limited N/A
Star Control Franchise Stardock Systems, Inc. On The Go Technology, LLC

- July 19 2013, “Notice of Successful and Back-Up Bidders with Respect to the Auctions of Certain of the Debtor’s Assets”, 13-10176-jmp, Docket# 305

As of this post, the auctions have not been officially paid for and will take place on July 24:

The Sale Hearing is currently scheduled to be held on July 24, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. (prevailing Eastern time) at the United States bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York, Alexander Hamilton Custom House, One Bowling Green, New York, New York 10004, before the Honorable James M. Peck, United States Bankruptcy Court Judge, to consider the Debtors’ selection of the highest or otherwise best bid(s) and the approval of the Sale Transaction. The Sale Hearing may be adjourned or rescheduled without notice.

- July 19 2013, “Notice of Successful and Back-Up Bidders with Respect to the Auctions of Certain of the Debtor’s Assets”, 13-10176-jmp, Docket# 305

So, what does this mean for Star Control? We know that Brad Wardell has expressed interest in Star Control years ago. I do believe that we may have a new Star Control game coming in the future. With Stardock’s strong stance against DRM, we know it will be developed and published with the same high standards as their other games. I would love to see their interpretation of Star Control franchise and whether or not it can be successful. Please keep in mind that Toys for Bob still retains ownership of the original content such as the aliens, characters, and ships. Stardock would still need their permission to use the Ur-Quan, for example. The direction they want to take with Star Control is up to them. Stardock can potentially own the Master of Orion franchise should Wargaming decide to pass on it.

But wait, there’s more…

I found another document that outline contracts “relating to the Assets upon consummation of the Sale Transaction”. Some things listed are “Amazon.com” for “Digital Distribution” under “Battlezone Agreements”. Check out what’s listed under “Star Control”:

Star Control 3 Agreements

Contracting Party Atari Party Agreement Type Est Cure Amount as of 06/21/2013
Reiche, Paul Accolade, Inc. License Agreement $0.00
Cyberlore Studios, Inc. Accolade, Inc. Development Agreement $0.00
Fat Labs, Inc. Accolade, Inc. Master Lease License for Computer Game Use $0.00
GameFly** Atari, Inc. Digital Distribution $0.00
GOG Limited (Good Old Games)** Atari, Inc. Digital Distribution $0.00
**Agreement will require partial assignment

- July 11 2013, Notice of Attempt to Assume and Assign Certain Executory Contracts, 13-10176-jmp, Docket# 296

Does this mean that Paul will be involved in a potential Star Control sequel in the future? After all, he still retains ownership of the game’s content such as the Ur-Quan and Ilwrath.

There’s another document (Docket# 306) that lists a proposed purchase of Accolade.com (currently redirects to atari.com) from “Accolade, Inc.” for $50,000.

PLEASE TAKE FURTHER NOTICE that pursuant to the De Minimis Sale Procedures, the Debtors propose to sell the following De Minimis Asset (the “De Minimis Sale“):

Asset(s) Proposed Buyer Known Affiliation with the Debtors Proposed Purchase Price Justification
“Accolade.com” domain Accolade, Inc. None. $50,000.00 Only offer received

- July 19 2013, Notice of Proposed Sale of Certain De Minimis Assets, 13-10176-jmp, Docket# 306

Conclusion

Stardock is the highest bidder for Star Control, with On The Go Technology LLC as the back-up bidder. There will be a hearing on July 24 which will finalize these bids. In an interview with Gamasutra, CEO Brad Wardell has stated he wanted to make a sequel true to Star Control II, pretending that the third game never happened. Stardock has the fanbase, developers and the publishing power to make a true Star Control game. I’d love to see what they have in store for the future. Their stance against DRM makes their products more accessible for PC gamers without worrying about things such as modding, re-installs and backups.

With Paul’s name listed as “License Agreement” under “Star Control 3 Agreements”, there’s definitely plenty of hope for Star Control. However, my interpretation of legal documents is purely guesswork. However, if Stardock wanted to make a sequel to Star Control II, they’d have to get Paul Reiche involved somehow. Therefore the idea of a Star Control sequel with a strong TFB influence is still possible.

The fact that there is a back-up bidder for Star Control means the bid is obviously greater than $100,000. Does this mean Stardock will get a cut of the GOG.com sales of Star Control? This is another page for “video game politics”.

What do you think about Stardock’s pending ownership of Star Contro and a potential sequel? Is Accolade making a comeback? If there there is anyone out with legal experience, I’d love to hear what you think about this recent update.

Looking forward to the future…

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom