Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Atari Corpse Looting: Stardock got Star Control, Wargaming got MoO and Total Annihilation

Absalom

Probably not. But if not them, then who? Stardock? I don't think they could make a true successor either.

Probably not. But if not them, then who? Stardock? I don't think they could make a true successor either.

Every game Stardock made is utterly soulless and boring and pretty crappy IMO. Complete opposite of SC. I don't have any hope for them making a good one. But I guess we'll see. If the main devs from SC2 or Toys for Bob weren't corrupted by popamole too much (oh, who am I kidding), maybe if the joined with Stardock resources, something good could be made. An awesome space adventure. :cry:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...rol-Reboot-Emerges-From-the-Wreckage-of-Atari

"We're very excited to publish a new Star Contro game. We are inclined to go with an XCom-like reboot using Star Control 2 as a major source of inspiration," Stardock CEO Brad Wardell told Joystiq. "By rebooting the series á la XCom, we can bring a new generation of gamers into a fun, silly space adventure. We hope to involve as many of the original designers and developers of the series, along with the fan base. It's important to us that Star Control remain true to its origins as much as is possible."

Abandon all hope.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...rol-Reboot-Emerges-From-the-Wreckage-of-Atari

"We're very excited to publish a new Star Contro game. We are inclined to go with an XCom-like reboot using Star Control 2 as a major source of inspiration," Stardock CEO Brad Wardell told Joystiq. "By rebooting the series á la XCom, we can bring a new generation of gamers into a fun, silly space adventure. We hope to involve as many of the original designers and developers of the series, along with the fan base. It's important to us that Star Control remain true to its origins as much as is possible."

Abandon all hope.

30954605.jpg

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
XCom-like reboot using Star Control 2
:dead:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The decline just won't stop :(

Soon, it will enter full ITZ mode and the second video game crash will occur. Just need that casual market to start crashing alongside it's AAA+ sister.

It will be glorious my fellow Codexer! GLORIOUS!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm pretty sure they don't mean it'll be the same type of game as XCom. Just that it'll be rebooted in the same way XCom was. Different continuity, similar mechanics.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm pretty sure they don't mean it'll be the same type of game as XCom. Just that it'll be rebooted in the same way XCom was. Different continuity, similar mechanics.
And everything streamlined and all the more interesting concept taken out.
Basically building a different thing from approximately the same LEGO bricks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Possibly. Remember though that the public at large does not perceive XCom as being as a significantly "dumbed down" game. The average dude on the street thinks it was a totally loyal reboot, not like EA's awful Syndicate FPS or something like that. So that statement doesn't really tell us anything.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Be happy it's an XCOM-like reboot and not a Fallout 3-like reboot, bros. At least Brad and co seem to actually like the original games. Could've been way, way worse, I tell you.

Possibly. Remember though that the public at large does not perceive XCom as being as a significantly "dumbed down" game. The average dude on the street thinks it was a totally loyal reboot, not like EA's awful Syndicate FPS or something like that. So that statement doesn't really tell us anything.

Yes, and new X-com is an awesome classic. It's revered here.

It will be shit if they want to reboot it the way Firaxis "reinvented" X-com. :dead:

X-Com was a much simpler game and AAA development still found ways to fuck it up despite trying not to. SC2 is an RTS/RPG/Adventure/Exploration/more hybrid, and sets a fairly high bar for every one of these elements. I don't doubt that Stardock may intend to make a faithful sequel, but they and just about everyone other major developer are most assuredly not skilled enough to do so.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh my god...I just remembered that Star Control 2 is the only space strategy where protagonist could have sex with an alien. What horrible future awaits us with the remake...

mck

Cipher
The new Star Control sounds fucking sick. Hopefully it will basically be like a stream-lined, easier Civilization in space, taking inspiration from other RTS greats like Empire Total War and my penis

communard

Arcane
Will Brad Wardell further compound his own cuntitude by adding gratuitous franchise rape to his cunticulum vitae? The suspense is killing me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom