Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Australia bans 2 video games in 24 hours

Bulba

Learned
Yeah, none of political currents, are immune to the perverted joys of "censorship" (read: joys of power). As a Cowboy Moment rightly said, if you don't have an explicitly writing freedom of speech built (very) firmly somewhere into your constitution, you are in the trouble...
It doesn't help when the judiciary won't apply the constitution. I'll have you know that communist Czechoslovakia did have freedom of speech guaranteed by a constitutional document and you can probably guess how well that was implemented.

Does such a magic land exist where constitution is actualy more than toilet paper? ( and don't even think of telling me it's US)

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Yeah, none of political currents, are immune to the perverted joys of "censorship" (read: joys of power). As a Cowboy Moment rightly said, if you don't have an explicitly writing freedom of speech built (very) firmly somewhere into your constitution, you are in the trouble...
It doesn't help when the judiciary won't apply the constitution. I'll have you know that communist Czechoslovakia did have freedom of speech guaranteed by a constitutional document and you can probably guess how well that was implemented.

Does such a magic land exist where constitution is actualy more than toilet paper? ( and don't even think of telling me it's US)

It's not even toilet paper in the US, as much as the corporate oligarchy would have liked it to be.

But the point was, that if you have something written into your constitution (and a practical rule of law, of course), then you usually also have a fairly straightforward process for challenging legislation as unconstitutional. Whereas it would take major political muscle to remove the Australian Classification Board from the premises through a normal democratic process, it typically only takes a small group of representatives, or a managable amount of signatures under a petition, to challenge the relevant bill in constitutional court. In practice, this means that blatantly unconstitutional laws are not even considered unless they have massive popular backing (see Patriot Act).

Constitutions aren't the holy grails of DEMOCRACY dumb kwans believe them to be, but they have their uses.

Psquit

Arcane
As if I give a shit about Popamole Row 4. Not having to deal with Weaponised Dubstep and other "oh so hilarious" top lel worthy elements like being in the matrix in 2013 improves the purity of our race.

Country sucks but at least I'm not losing anything of value.

Today saint row, tomorrow a game you might enjoy.

Skunkpew

Augur
The video game censorship advocates are an unholy alliance of nanny-state undomesticated snowmans and moralist conservatives, which is why it's so bloody hard to combat. No matter who is in power these fuckers have the same influence. The best we can do is to lean back and wait for the old farts to die off.

I disagree so vehemently with your last sentence. The worst thing we can do is wait for them to die off, because they never will. There will always be old farts trying to control us and meanwhile by sitting around we just tacitly accept what they do. By doing nothing we become the artificers of our own enslavement. The best thing to do is, I don't know, actually start standing up and reminding them that they have absolutely no power over any one.

Direwolf

Arcane
As if I give a shit about Popamole Row 4. Not having to deal with Weaponised Dubstep and other "oh so hilarious" top lel worthy elements like being in the matrix in 2013 improves the purity of our race.

Today saint row, tomorrow a game you might enjoy.

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my torrents.

Coyote

Arcane

?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I disagree so vehemently with your last sentence. The worst thing we can do is wait for them to die off, because they never will. There will always be old farts trying to control us and meanwhile by sitting around we just tacitly accept what they do. By doing nothing we become the artificers of our own enslavement. The best thing to do is, I don't know, actually start standing up and reminding them that they have absolutely no power over any one.

Problem is it takes a ton of effort and insult to get people to stand up about important shit, let alone video games.

Stinger

Arcane

First, Saints Row is a fun popamole series, with over the top gameplay. Second, you don't care now, but if next time they ban an actual good game, which you like, you will care more.

No, Saints Row 2 was a fun popamole game. Saints Row 3 is reddit the game with even more popamole elements and SR4 looks to be even worse "LOL DUBSTEP GUN LE UPVOTE XDDDDDDD".

But yes, obviously I'll be mad when Australia bans a game I care for. We lobbied pretty hard for an R rating in games and still seeing this kind of thing is bullshit.

I don't even know why this is still happening. We have R Ratings now, there's no excuse.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The best thing to do is, I don't know, actually start standing up and reminding them that they have absolutely no power over any one.
But they do have power, that's the problem. These are high level bureaucrats and politicians at the top of their game, backed by significant voter blocks.

Derek Larp

Cipher
Australia vs Germany, which one bans more and why?

I'm pretty sure Germany doesn't ban and censor vidyagames like they used to. I bought Hitman:BM as a budget title a while back and it was exactly the same as the english release that I didn't remove from an inventory(except dubbing the VOs). Those games are simply rated 'adult-only'.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Germany has become pretty lax compared to the olden days, I think because games are released a lot faster now and they can't keep up - from what it looks like from my point of view it appears as if Australia is actually worse nowadays, especially since they are getting hung up about a lot other things than "just" blood&gore as us teutonics here. I heard in L4D2 for instance they removed those armored special forces zombies because if the player shoots them it would be like RESISTING THA ALMOIGHTY GOVARNMANT and probably giving them ideas.
So remember, obey the police, even if they order you to take off your helmet so they can eat your brains.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Hell, censorship in the arts in America rose to prominence back in the 80's
Umm...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Production_Code
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comics_Code_Authority

If anything from the 1980s till now is the free-est speech we've ever had.
Apparently he gained selective blindness for the rampant censorship legislation Bush Jr. helped push through congress. They totally fucked over a lot of media outlets, especially radio.

Data4

Arcane
Hell, censorship in the arts in America rose to prominence back in the 80's
Umm...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Production_Code
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comics_Code_Authority

If anything from the 1980s till now is the free-est speech we've ever had.
Apparently he gained selective blindness for the rampant censorship legislation Bush Jr. helped push through congress. They totally fucked over a lot of media outlets, especially radio.

No, I'm just thinking about Tipper Gore and her push for Parental Advisory labels and/or banning explicit lyrical content in music. Yeah, there was censorship before that, but it was more of a cultural thing overall, with the powers that be unsure of what effect seeing stuff like a married couple sharing a bed on national TV would have on the populace. Once everyone figured out it wasn't going to turn this place into a pit of desolation, everyone seemed to "lighten up, Francis". Then, when Gore started her crusade, the ideas of free expression and speech became front and center again, with congressional hearings and a media circus.

Machocruz

Arcane
with the powers that be unsure of what effect seeing stuff like a married couple sharing a bed on national TV would have on the populace.

Geezus. And people wonder why I take the idea of authority figures as a personal insult. It's like if lord Greystoke had to answer to shit flinging beta chimps his whole life.

DraQ

Arcane
Constitutions aren't the holy grails of DEMOCRACY dumb kwans believe them to be, but they have their uses.
Actually I'd argue that constitutions or some other means to overrule the main decision making process are the holy grail of not just democracy but civilized society in general (not that they will suffice if the society is :patriot:) .

Democracy in itself is nothing particularly desirable and without right safety measures may fail far more spectacularly than even most degenerate dictatorship - see the fucking Arab Spring or rise of German Third Reich.

Sure, you can argue that the good part about democracy is that it equates well educated public with good decision making apparatus, which I can heartily agree with, but in practice it can't be used as a kind of do-or-die condition that guarantees such healthy state, because you might as well have dumb, gullible public manipulated by special interest groups making the actual decisions. Such state, while pathological, isn't nearly dysfunctional enough to make the state fall apart, so I'd argue that true democracy is only maintainable if you start with well educated society that maintains keen interest in preserving both education levels, state and its decision making systems - in other words not one of our contemporary idiocracies.

kaizoku

Arcane
How do you like your domestication now... you abhorrent domesticated snowmen!

*updated my dumb_countries_list.txt journal*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom