Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Avadon 3: The Warborn announced, coming September 14th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I cannot imagine these games even sell very well.
P. sure that they are his best selling games.

The first Avadon is. But that has more to do with the time it came out than anything else (the 2011-2012 Steam indie boom)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I wonder if the guy actually enjoys even making these games anymore, or if he sees just no other option until he retires

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, Vogel has lost quite a lot of respect here since his public admiration of the BioWare style of game design ;)

Either way, I played through Avadon 1 and 2 and will also play through this one.
I did like the latest Geneforge better, yes, but still found them fun enough to play.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Many speak as if currently there was something out there better than this. But there isn't, and I'll keep buying Vogel's Wiederholung insanely cheap.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I don't understand myself at all. I loved Geneforges and Avernums so I bought Avadon 1. Quit due to boredom halfway through.

Bought Avadon 2 at full price to support the dev who had given me hundreds of hours of gaming joy. Quit due to boredom after I guess a quarter of the game.

Now why on Earth do I feel that I will actually buy Avadon 3...

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Codex's hatred of Vogel is irrational. He's an RPG god just for the Geneforges (which I like much better than Fallout). Sure the Avadons are kind of dull, but he's always been up front that they are an experiment in a more Bioware-esque RPG. Which is fine. Geneforge is his Fallout, Avernum his Ultima, and Avadon his Dragon Age.

That said those new skill trees look awful. They are basically just a straight line! The old Avadon's had (3, I think?) main lines with options to branch from one to another at various points. So while it was really hard to fuck up a build, you still could have some variance.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
A lot of Codexers would probably agree that the Geneforges are great (as is Nethergate) and that the Avernums can pass the time nicely, but this still doesn't negate that he has streamlined himself into irrelevance with the Avadon's. And it really doesn't help that his blogging is kind of erratic.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Don't really hate Vogel, not in the way people obsess over Sawyer. Just find it really sad he's been reduced to this.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jeff has always been a bit crazy, having a site forum full of people that praise your every move doesn't help matters.

Still, I don't really give a shit about his personality. I just wish he'd make something in the vein of Geneforge again. He can do interesting worlds and stories when he gets out of his comfort zone.

Mortmal

Arcane
I don't understand myself at all. I loved Geneforges and Avernums so I bought Avadon 1. Quit due to boredom halfway through.

Bought Avadon 2 at full price to support the dev who had given me hundreds of hours of gaming joy. Quit due to boredom after I guess a quarter of the game.

Now why on Earth do I feel that I will actually buy Avadon 3...
A feeling of guilt , like giving alms to an old crippled war veteran maybe. To be honest i am quite thankful we had vogel during the rpg drough, there was absolutely nothing else to play , yes it was hundreds of hours of fun.I would still advise buying the latest avernum version its pretty good .

Sizzle

Arcane
He can do interesting worlds and stories when he gets out of his comfort zone.

Which I doubt he'll ever do again. Every time I read one of his interviews, he comes across as increasingly jaded, less and less prone to experimenting - or making any substantial changes to his graphics/engine/writing/systems - and more and more in awe of BioWare.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
He can do interesting worlds and stories when he gets out of his comfort zone.

Which I doubt he'll ever do again. Every time I read one of his interviews, he comes across as increasingly jaded, less and less prone to experimenting - or making any substantial changes to his graphics/engine/writing/systems - and more and more in awe of BioWare.

Yeah. Unfortunately, Jeff is a very different person to who he was a few years back.

He's always had a lazy/jaded streak, but it seems to have become particularly pronounced in recent years.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
He's always had a lazy/jaded streak, but it seems to have become particularly pronounced in recent years.

As much of a spiderweb fanboy as I am, I agree with this completely. It's kind of tiring how 90% of his blog posts are him bitching about how old he is (which he's been doing since his late 30s). I don't know if I'd say he's lazy ( he seems to work hard), just incredibly complacent. He has a strict formula he never deters from and the same art assets over and over. I have zero doubt that he could buy more new art assets for each game beyond the 5-10 that he seems to splurge on, but he has no incentive to change simply because he has a loyal fanbase who will buy everything he's ever done regardless.

Still, I can slip on a spiderweb game like a comfortable old shoe. So I'll still buy and play this. But he definitely hasn't done anything innovative since Geneforge 5.

Sizzle

Arcane
Speaking of which, does anyone know what his next project after Avadon is going to be?

I know he's busy remastering Avernum for the n-th time, but is he going to do something new once he finished that? Or is he just going to redo Geneforge?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Not entirely sure what he's doing next, but am I right in thinking that he's talked about a Geneforge remake?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I remember him talking about Avadon being his last new IP and from here on he's only doing remakes (not sure if I remember correctly, though). So Geneforge could be next

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Browsing my steam list I saw that I spent 30 hours playing Avadon 1.....
I don't even recall doing that....

:hmmm:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember him talking about Avadon being his last new IP and from here on he's only doing remakes (not sure if I remember correctly, though). So Geneforge could be next

Oh? I've heard talk about him saying he has "one more original IP in him". But I couldn't give you a source.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Not sure, could be I remember it wrong. I actually hope he still has some creativity left in him. As disappointing as Avadon was, I still haven't given up on him completely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom