Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avadon is here for windows (kinda)

Nim

Augur
https://s3.amazonaws.com/SpiderwebSoftw ... onDemo.exe

Playing through the tutorial atm.

O9Hkw.jpg

P3Pwg.jpg

fexUv.jpg

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Setting seems great and has a lot of potential for C&C, but the game itself is bland as fuck.

Just bumping this, it seems like this thread got overwhelmed by the power of Melissan.

Nim

Augur
Haha, yeah that's the usual. They all want to be a dragon not play a Vogel game :roll:

Though from what I've seen so far of Avadon it is indeed bland as fuck. Seriously, how did he go from the early Geneforges to this ?

Anyway, party members not dying but being just unconscious and resurrected after combat ends :decline:

Multi-headed Cow

Awor Szurkrarz said:
Does it feature tastefully done rape?
I think Witcher 2 is the only recent RPG that is catering to our prestigious needs. And even then it might only be implied. It is a sad day. :rpgcodex:

Nim

Augur
Just got to the demo demon and have to say lol ? That's all the demo content ?

I also don't get why he changed it so that you can leave an area on all sides of the map but can only enter at one ?

Don't think I'll buy this after the demo, not even remove from inventory.

Gwendo

Augur
Heh, you can download the hintbooks for free from that ftp site... :D

I'm thinking about buying this game. I just wish the right mouse button had any use, like scrolling/panning the game window.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sovard said:
However, I haven't run into a reason for being unable to select your gender.
As I recall, he said alternate gender portraits would have broken his budget. High quality portraits aren't cheap.

SkepticsClaw

Potential Fire Hazard
Everything I've heard about this game is filling me with an overwhelming sense of disinterest unfortunately. If I feel the pressing need to play a Vogel title I'll probably go through all the other 600 games he's made before bothering with this one.

Elzair

Cipher
Gwendo said:
Heh, you can download the hintbooks for free from that ftp site... :D

I'm thinking about buying this game. I just wish the right mouse button had any use, like scrolling/panning the game window.

He's a mactard! What do you expect?

SkepticsClaw

Potential Fire Hazard
Fowyr said:
How many Vogel's games you have played?
Just Exile and Nethergate: Resurrection, both of which caught my interest at one time or another. I definitely need to at least get round to trying out one of the Geneforge games as they seem p. cool.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Ah. You have many good games to play. Also try someday original Nethergate, it was much better.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Not sure if it' worth buying or if it would be wiser to play any of Avernum/Geneforge titles that I've not played yet. It's probably worse game than any Avernum but on the other hand it doesn't reuse mechanics and setting that I'm already well accustomed to. Even if Avernum series are more complex, after playing a couple of them it gets less exciting to develop your party using the same progression system and visiting the same places.

Micmu

Magister
I am seriously disappointed. Shittiest Spiderweb game so far. By a lightyear.
Will definitely not register the demo.

Meh... I'm gonna restart Avernum 3 instead.

torpid

Liturgist
Godammit

Looks like an occasion to finally play the earlier Geneforges, which has been on my to-do list for ages.

Vogel's first screwup in terms of product differentiation. Instead of the 'omg-C+C-hitting-ass-and-leg-its'...um...I mean awesome C+C and incredible factional/subfactional freedoms of Geneforge, he's gone for basically an early-style Bioware game. Now there's plenty of folks who would love something like that, but I just don't think Vogel as a one-man-band can produce the writing and art and everything to pull it off. Matching a major company for a mainstream product is a lot harder than meeting an unserviced niche.

Gondolin

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Feels like a severely dumbed down Geneforge so far. :/

Pretty much yeah. I've finished the initial quests in the Black Fortress and left for Kva. My party has never been in any significant danger whatsoever. The story is just as the others described it: bland. There's no urgency, no strangeness. God damn.

Pope Amole

Educated
Started the game right now and I'm lacking words to describe my disappointment. It's bland, it's annoying (randomly distributed stats is, like, teh best design desicion ever, because surely my mage NPC got a point of fucking useless strength at her first level-up; also all statistics and number are hidden so I can't see what's my chance of hitting a monster, which might be crucial later on, or how many AP I have to use to move somewhere, which adds to the tedium since squares are small and you have to count manually) and, despite whatever he said, the art is not fucking new, once again the same assets are reused. Now, it's not that I really mind, but what are Vogel's hopes for the game? For the DA-and-other-shit loving crowds it's still ugly as fuck and, besides, there's no hot elvish homosexual love without which not a single RPG can be complete for a modern gamer(I hope there is none of those), as for the oldschoolers, it pales completely before the quality of Vogel's previous works. And I already dislike that tree-based skill-system because it reeks of mmorpg (if I'd wanna to play a mmorpg I'd play one, not some copycat) and it seems like my chars are gonna be one-trick ponies without any tactical depth. Hope that it'll flop commercially so Vogel will be reminded that he is no mainstream genius but a niche developer and that niche has it's own preferences. But than, he may press on - like, Geneforge 3 flopped, but that didn't stop him from implementing the same thing that killed it, act-based progression instead of free exploration, to his next games.

Mortmal

Arcane
I played it a bit so far its not really inspiring. To jeff credit its the prettiest game he ever sold, i think the paperdolls and character portraits are gorgeous, but that avadon fortress is neither mysterious , original awe inspiring or anything.
I dont understand why hes abandonning avernum setting to make the exact same thing again, its as generic fantasy as ever, well even more since avernum had still some kind of originality and vast areas to explore. The sense of exploration is gone there as well as any sense of danger. Since he copied bioware system, its autoregen after fight , gone are the days of rpgs where ou had to plan your travel, stock supplies and carefully manage your ressources.Of course you could still just run back to town to regen in avernum but it was unconvenient ,it was better to shcedule enough potions before going.
Thats not what i am expecting from an indie rpg, i expect more, more stats more character template, strategic choices, ,my party stranded, starved , diseased, holding its last torch surrounded by unknown monsters in a vast underground maze, multiple choices and consequences... ive seen none of that so far.
There's never any crticism on spiderweb forums, its pretty much like rpgwatch, with sycophants like them no surprise we end up with a bioware lite game . Its indie ,everything is always fine, hope the big publishers like EA will die salvation will come from indies...yeah i see that.

Trannynota

Saw the news on the FB, rushed here to get the reviews and got to read one of the saddest thread ever.
I still will try it out by myself tomorrow, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom