Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Avadon PC & iPad Updates

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Avadon: The Black Fortress; Spiderweb Software

<p>The latest Spiderweb Software newsletter brings word that <a href="http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon/index.html" target="_blank"><strong>Avadon</strong></a> is right around the corner for PC gamers as well as folks who enjoy staring at tiny screens until they go blind.</p>
<blockquote>Of course, we want to make sure more than just Mac owners get in on the fun. The Windows version of Avadon: The Black Fortress has entered beta testing, and we hope to have it ready in the beginning of May.<br /><br />Also, we are thrilled to announce that we are also finally entering the exciting world of developing for portable platforms. Avadon: The Black Fortress will soon be available for the iPad. We aren't sure exactly when it'll be ready, because that will depend in part on what Apple says. When it's out, we'll let you know.<br /><br />* What Else Is Coming?<br /><br />We are also slowly starting work on a ground-up rewrite of Avernum, which is itself a rewrite of our first title, Exile: Escape From the Pit. After a decade, Avernum is showing its age and very much in need of freshening up, with a new engine and graphics. (As well as a long overdue appearance on the iPhone.) But don't worry! This will only be a several month detour for us before we get back to writing all-new games.</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Trash said:
Wait, what? A remake of the remake? Talk about milking it dry...
Trash - given the umm... quality ... of the newest released rpgs - wouldn't it be better to just have them re-release old ones with updated graphics?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Re: Avadon PC & iPad Updates

Jason said:
We are also slowly starting work on a ground-up rewrite of Avernum, which is itself a rewrite of our first title, Exile: Escape From the Pit. After a decade, Avernum is showing its age and very much in need of freshening up, with a new engine and graphics. (As well as a long overdue appearance on the iPhone.) But don't worry! This will only be a several month detour for us before we get back to writing all-new games.
AHAHHAHAHAHHA OH WOW!
Awesome news :retarded:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Coboney said:
Trash said:
Wait, what? A remake of the remake? Talk about milking it dry...
Trash - given the umm... quality ... of the newest released rpgs - wouldn't it be better to just have them re-release old ones with updated graphics?
Makes you think how the Codex would react if Bioware announces a spiritual successor remake of Baldur's Gate II... :M

What's the big deal? It's a sensible business move. Vogel makes a very large proportion of his income from his back catalogue. If it is only going to be a short 3 month diversion, then it makes perfect sense to update them to new engines/graphics. There will always be players who will come along wanting tactical isometric turn-based crpgs, and due to the overwhelming shortage they'll want to play the earlier ones as well. Vogel's games during that period had horrible graphics, and in any event, people seem to have a 'brick wall' that they can't get past in terms of graphic-whoredom. It makes perfect sense then, given how little time it takes up, to shift that brick wall forward every few years, so gamers that have entered the market for that kind of game can still play the back-catalogue from the beginning.

It would be different if it was replacing a new game. But a 3 month project to extend the life of your catalogue is hardly complaint-worthy. I'm amazed more companies don't do it (and they should do it, so long as the originals remain available, as they do with Vogel's games).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
What's the deal with Mac first on this title?

Dyskolos

Cipher
I'm curious to see how he handles the ports for the iphone. ipad's screen size makes that platform decently congenial but I can't imagine comfortably playing isometrics on the iphone screen, especially once you take into account the obscuring effect of fingers on the touch screen controls.

ElectricOtter

If he gets rid of those terrible portraits, I'm on board :thumbsup:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Azrael the cat said:
What's the big deal? It's a sensible business move. Vogel makes a very large proportion of his income from his back catalogue. If it is only going to be a short 3 month diversion, then it makes perfect sense to update them to new engines/graphics. There will always be players who will come along wanting tactical isometric turn-based crpgs, and due to the overwhelming shortage they'll want to play the earlier ones as well. Vogel's games during that period had horrible graphics, and in any event, people seem to have a 'brick wall' that they can't get past in terms of graphic-whoredom. It makes perfect sense then, given how little time it takes up, to shift that brick wall forward every few years, so gamers that have entered the market for that kind of game can still play the back-catalogue from the beginning.

It would be different if it was replacing a new game. But a 3 month project to extend the life of your catalogue is hardly complaint-worthy. I'm amazed more companies don't do it (and they should do it, so long as the originals remain available, as they do with Vogel's games).
Good point about new players. I have to agree that if I were a converting mainstream gamer then there's a much better chance of me playing Avernum if it had updated graphics.

Secondly, props on being brief for once, Azrael.

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Mangoose said:
Azrael the cat said:

Good point about new players. I have to agree that if I were a converting mainstream gamer then there's a much better chance of me playing Avernum if it had updated graphics.

Secondly, props on being brief for once, Azrael.
Not only did they have horrible graphics - the interface was pretty horrid which is more my issue when I try to play the older games.

Also it lets him judge the response to his new game line better. Which means he can see what worked in the fans eyes and what didn't so that when he goes to make a sequel (Cause thats... probably his plan knowing Vogel) he can improve upon it to where people would like.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Trash said:
Stagnation is death.

As is Bioware and Bethesda's so-called "innovation" :x

Dyskolos said:
I'm curious to see how he handles the ports for the iphone. ipad's screen size makes that platform decently congenial but I can't imagine comfortably playing isometrics on the iphone screen, especially once you take into account the obscuring effect of fingers on the touch screen controls.

Ya know, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm itching to get my hands on one of these new fangled tablets. (iPad or Android - haven't decided yet).

I really think there is some great potential for touch based, TB (or even RTwP) gameplay on the move here. Much more so than the tiny handheld consoles or phones.

There's even the possibility of playing some older PC games through emulation and with touch (I believe this already exists on a jailbroken iPad and/or Android/Windows tablets).

Who knows, the iPad (and it's clones), may end up being the saviour of TB games (RPG/TBS) :smug:

EDIT: ^ assuming some devs see the same potential.... ;)

Stabwound

Arcane
I was about to start loling, but Azrael makes some good points. Vogel makes his entire living off of his games (doesn't he?), and you can't fault him for wanting to make some easy cash.

I'm surprised it's a "ground-up rewrite" though. It's not using the Avadon engine?

I wonder when the Geneforge remakes will start being made.

ortucis

Prophet
The Gentleman Loser said:
Zed said:
What's the deal with Mac first on this title?

My guess is that's the platform used to make the game.

Less piracy. Also, Mac users (thanks to not having enough games) are willing to pay anything for any type of game. On PC we don't want to pay more than 20 for Indie while we pay 60 for AAA.

angerpowered

Novice
Luzur said:
who plays RPG's on an Iphone?

I play 100 rogues on my iPhone. It's pretty fun. I can see turn based games doing well on the iPhone. It's great for a few minutes of gameplay. Just play a couple turns of casual gameplay.

I am actually posting this on my iPhone right now while I'm in the car. :M

Also I hear Macs are easier to code for.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Very much looking forward to the Avernum series upgraded to new graphics and hopefully with walking animations. This works great for me since I only played halfway through #1 and 4 I think.

ElectricOtter

Saxon1974 said:
This works great for me since I only played halfway through #1 and 4 I think.
Which happen to be the worst Avernum games :lol: . Give A6 and Exile 2/3 a try, those are my favorites. If you can't handle the graphics, just go for Avernum 2/3.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Zuercher said:
Saxon1974 said:
Very much looking forwardipad 2 case to the Avernum series upgraded to new graphics and hopefully with walking animations.leather ipad 2 cases This works great for me since I only played halfway through #1 and iPad2 case4 I think.

I hope the new Avernum/Exile will have some better combat mechanics.
At least this plant made a half-assed attempt to hide the links.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom