Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Avadon: The Black Fortress Review Bonanza

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Brother None said:
Roguey said:
Vogel already said you were lying about this and had only played for a few seconds before shelving it, why must you continue this charade?

I have no idea what you're talking about, so I'm going to assume this post is some kind of joke I don't get.
Regarding your comment here on the Codex, Vogel wrote this on his blog in the comments thread; http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2011/05/ ... 6263442609 :

"It is clear that this feedback only comes from a few seconds of play, followed by a guess. If you actually played the game, you would know that, if this system can be criticized for anything, it's for abilities taking too little endurance. "

edit: goddamnit Johannes

Brother None said:
Gwendo said:
Am I the only one who noticed how large everything is designed in Avadon? You enter a farmer's house and it's huge, with corridors where 6 or more people could walk side by side.

Well, more than that, I noticed a lot of the buildings seem bigger on the inside than on the outside. It's very Dr Whoian.

Reminds me of RPG Maker games. They tend to have huge interiors for some reason.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Reminds me of RPG Maker games. They tend to have huge interiors for some reason.

rpg buildings are just decorations for the entrance for loading the 'content' of the building

no point in making large buildings these days unless you want someone to climb them

JaySn

Educated
Roguey said:
"It is clear that this feedback only comes from a few seconds of play, followed by a guess. If you actually played the game, you would know that, if this system can be criticized for anything, it's for abilities taking too little endurance."

Much as Vogel's impression of the RPG Codex seems to come from a few moments' glimpse of news comments . . . Still hasn't found the RPG Discussion thread. :smug:

When can we expect your review, Brother?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Elwro said:
Regarding your comment here on the Codex, Vogel wrote this on his blog in the comments thread; http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2011/05/ ... 6263442609 :

"It is clear that this feedback only comes from a few seconds of play, followed by a guess. If you actually played the game, you would know that, if this system can be criticized for anything, it's for abilities taking too little endurance. "

Oh, huh. Totally missed that. He knows I did a preview based on 30 hours of gameplay. I did a full playthrough and then some more for the review, which sticks to pretty much the same conclusions.

He seems to misunderstand what I'm saying though. If I use abilities with the same regularity as I did for his previous titles I will run out. What's more, what's the point of the system as he describes it? Why even have fatigue that doesn't regenerate but is designed not to run out? And all the trash combat is designed so I can easily win without using any skills. I'm a careful player, not wanting to be caught unawares, so of course I hoard vitality, because it is valuable, while HP is worthless. He's a game designer, how can he not see that if you offer HP regeneration but no VI regeneration, you are encouraging players to sacrifice the former and thus drag out boring trash combat?

It sucks that he's mad at me though. He doesn't seem to remember handing us beta access to do a preview and then posting on that preview on his website, based on his "only a few seconds" comment. Weird. Sucks that my review will piss him off but it is what it is, not the first time a developed pretends criticism of his title is "not even based in anything resembling reality".

Still, it's valuable feedback since it makes me realize I need to phrase it very precisely. The basic logic is this: trash combat doesn't require items/skills, even on harder difficulties (this might not be true for torment difficulty later in the game, as I played most of that on hard/normal). HP is valueless while items and skills are valuable. Hence, the system encourages you to draw out trash combat and sacrifice HP. This is boring. As I put it in the review (currently, it's all still up to editing since the head editor hasn't look at it yet): The decision not to regenerate vitality only serves a purpose if it leads to a difficult long-term battle against attrition, rather than encourage the player to keep trash combat as boring as he/she can.

Jay said:
When can we expect your review, Brother?

It was done a few days ago. It's sitting there in our to-be-published list while we cycle through several articles GameBanshee has ready to go. Head editor still has to go through it. A few days, I'd guess.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Davaris said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
PrzeSzkoda said:
Here's an idea. Two different types of loot: loot-bags and bling-bags. Whenever you get bling that is only good for selling to a merchant for money, you get bling-bags = you get cash. When you get a loot-bag it means there's useful loot in it (unspecified). But here's the next-gen: once you amass enough "loot points" (for collecting loot-bags) you get to choose from a list of level-scaled items, and then you get that item. You can save loot-points to get better itamz. No need to delve through endless loot anymore! You just magically amass all the stuff you find and then you choose whatever you need! It makes sense (if you are seriosuly stoned), is streamlined and fuck that shit lawl.
For fucks sake, don't give them ideas :x .

This is genius! Additionally, searching for loot after battles, or while exploring is too hardcore. So after battles, corpses are auto looted and rooms you enter are auto looted.

Omniloot Generation System © RPGCodex.

We should launch the RPGCodex Incline Program (RIP for short). We come up with the dumbest ideas that could possibly be implemented in a cRPG - ideas that are forseeably probable to come up in the minds of misguided developers - and then copyright and trademark them, ensuring that they shall never see the light of the day.

I wonder what international intellectual property laws would have to say about that. :M

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
PrzeSzkoda said:
We should launch the RPGCodex Incline Program (RIP for short). We come up with the dumbest ideas that could possibly be implemented in a cRPG - ideas that are forseeably probable to come up in the minds of misguided developers - and then copyright and trademark them, ensuring that they shall never see the light of the day.

I wonder what international intellectual property laws would have to say about that. :M
I think you need to go one step further and actually create a game that implements those features. In order to make sure you properly own them. (EA could always argue that you're a patent troll when you attempt to sue them over Dragon Age 3 being shit.)
Plus, you can make a ton of cash on the side when all the casuals buy it.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
I see.

Maybe a PnP RPG system using those mechanics would suffice to get a sure hold on the copyrights? Otherwise, GameMaker, here I come. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom