Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - first person action adventure from Massive Entertainment

Modron

Arcane
Imagine getting excited about an Avatar skinned Farcry game after 6 was such a major step backwards from 5 even, really the only way it could turn out decent if all the talent from 5 had been secretly working on this while the interns were making 6.

lycanwarrior

Scholar

Ubisoft's Avatar Game Receives Exciting Movie Crossover Update​

https://thedirect.com/article/avatar-ubisoft-game-movie-crossover

During this month's Ubisoft Forward event, Cameron, via Screen Rant, confirmed that Frontiers of Pandora is canon, noting that it will "co-exist" with the movies while also bringing a "new corner" of Pandora to life.

Magnus Jensen's exciting remarks about the close collaboration between Lightstorm and Frontiers of Pandora's creatives indicate that the game will tie in closely to what the movies already established.

This is important as it allows James Cameron's vision for Pandora to be consistent in other forms of media.

:hypeship::hype::d1p:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

puke-vomit.gif

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora can be awkward but I'm a sucker for the fantasy and it delivers it​

https://www.eurogamer.net/avatar-fr...m-a-sucker-for-the-fantasy-and-it-delivers-it
...when the game tells me to wait by a campfire for someone to arrive. Except I can't find the campfire, and because I'm considered 'in the area', the game doesn't mark where it is, so I end up running around for several minutes until eventually - because I'm up high in a precarious position - I lose my footing and fall off some scenery to my death...

An UBIsoft game which dares to not lead the player by the hand all the time? Do like!

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
...when the game tells me to wait by a campfire for someone to arrive. Except I can't find the campfire, and because I'm considered 'in the area', the game doesn't mark where it is, so I end up running around for several minutes until eventually - because I'm up high in a precarious position - I lose my footing and fall off some scenery to my death...

An UBIsoft game which dares to not lead the player by the hand all the time? Do like!
Probably just a case of game journalists being bad at games and running around a very obvious campfire 800 times like Darksidephil playing alien isolation and being told to enter the cargo loader in the center of the room which is lit up by spot lights and proceeding to run around the the not particularly large room for the next 5 minutes trying to find it. Granted it's not fair to compare DSP to game journalists he's a towering intellect compared to the likes of Dean Takahashi.

ADL

Prophet
They've been doing this for a couple years now. Turned Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Assassin's Creed Odyssey & Valhalla into pretty memorable games for me where I started to actually learn the regions and navigating using landmarks etc.
tPr1Dan.png

3068802-assassins-creed-odyssey-exploration-mode.jpg

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
They've been doing this for a couple years now. Turned Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Assassin's Creed Odyssey & Valhalla into pretty memorable games for me where I started to actually learn the regions and navigating using landmarks etc.
tPr1Dan.png

3068802-assassins-creed-odyssey-exploration-mode.jpg
Oh man, I played some of the recent AC titles at least 15-20 hours, and it saddened me so. Granted, there are many turn-off/on marker options in the menus, which definitely is a step in the right direction. However, to create an actual semi-explorative experience out of Odyssey or the previous Egyptian installment was a thing of several hours worth of modding and testing for me. That's because many options led to half-baked or outright infuriating solutions such as—I only vaguely recall now, so please don't nitpick me—turning off the quest markers also turned off the hawk's ability to spot items, turning off some compass parts also turned off some combat indicators, things like that. Even so, I must admit that it was possible to create an environment with little to no leading by the hand.

However, talking about where that happened, the adventure, the exploration, etc.

The game features, places, skirmishes, fort raids, the caves/dungeons/buildings/lairs designs, several ways of loot storing and positioning, etc., all being similar to each other to a fault. That is supplemented with a diablo-like "yay, another +0,0025 dmg weapon but it looks so new and cooool" loot, HP-sponge enemies, horrible level-scalling, and no character attributes to level up (only skills). All in a project that poses for an open-world RPG.

I salute you for finding fun in going from one person to another or from one place to another without markers, navigating only by your instincts and hinted landmarks. I myself couldn't cope with the fact that this first part of exploration never led to the second, most important part: an adventurous experience stemming from a sort of a solving an approach. Being stimulated by hints, places, items, and other features original to at least many, if not every such 'solving'. After the several initial hours of 'wow, there are so many things to do' it started to feel as a walking simulator with rince and repeat occasions and a mash button combat.

Despite this bitter tone, I recognize AC's great portrayal of the days of yore, some imaginative, funny or witty writing, pretty good main story, the (paradoxically) lively places, and the overall look and atmospheric feel (albeit the latter always turned into an empty promise as explained above).

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
73 critic score on Metacritic. New Ubisoft game not meeting expectations and quoted for 'boring and uncreative open world' - wow, who would have expected that?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

Impressive engine. Can't wait its use in Star Wars: Outlaws.

Have we finally reached that era, after 20 tumultuous years since the birth of 3D cards?
Or is the near-realism race still at it's nefarious best, as usual, taking up 90% of developing resources and leaving the paltry 10% for such nonsense as ingenuity, character, depth of adventure, various approaches to a situation, or length of gameplay ;) ?
I have my reservations.

But never mind, I must stay young at heart. I will allow my hopes to get the better of me yet again :shittydog:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ugh, that Marvel writing. For some reason, I didn't expect that kind of character writing in this.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
I got a key to this with my recent 7800 XT purchase, but have zero interest in the game because I loathe the setting (Have not watched the movies and wont). I have been trying to sell it for 25e on one website, but no interest so far. :mad: And just when I was thinking maybe I try it after all, I watched that WaB video and okay BIG NO THANK YOU after seeing some of that horrible dialogue. And of course all the regular open world Ubishite in addition.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Got Avatar Frontiers of Pandora with my new PC (with 7900 XTX).

Absolutely stunning playing on 4k TV. Snowdrop engine is truly a thing of beauty and a potential game-changer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom