Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avatar Gallery Submission Thread

Do you care about custom avatars?

• Yes, and I want something done about it.

Votes: 314 54.5%
  • No, just leave it the way it is.

Votes: 262 45.5%

• Total voters

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Missed some of my favorites from Eye of the Beholder:

lyk1.jpg

They're too small. 31 pixels wide, seriously? They better be at least 3 times as large if you want me to include them.

Okay, here they are in the right size, plus some NPC's and monsters:
http://www.filedropper.com/eye_2

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I thought the idea was to have only game-related avatars now...

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Please add these, Crooked Bee

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Resized for great justice.
http://niektory.republika.pl/TOLUCT.RPGCodex.zip

Added.

Missed some of my favorites from Eye of the Beholder:

lyk1.jpg

They're too small. 31 pixels wide, seriously? They better be at least 3 times as large if you want me to include them.

Those look like shit, sorry. Did you just upscale the original jpegs? That's just horrible; you should never upscale jpegs.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Those look like shit, sorry. Did you just upscale the original jpegs? That's just horrible; you should never upscale jpegs.

What? That is exactly what they look like within Eye of the Beholder. You can check and compare to screenshots.

The characters are painted at a 320x240 resolution, Bee. So 31x32 is the highest resolution you can get from screenshots. Of course they will look a bit funny when upscaled, but that's what you wanted (at least 3 times as big)

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I think we already have those.

EDIT: Ninja editing, huh?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

What? That is exactly what they look like within Eye of the Beholder. You can check and compare to screenshots.

Try using a more aggressive filter for those, use this for example. This is what I got by upscaling the first portrait with xbr 3x:

xmyYEj8.png

I don't really like the way it looks, the curves and colours are too smooth (normal pixel art upscaling methods don't work that well on portraits), but it's up to your own taste how true to the original you want to keep the images.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What? That is exactly what they look like within Eye of the Beholder.

No.

First rule: never upscale jpegs, only use pngs. Jpegs are already crappy, compressed and blurry in the first place, and that only gets worse as you upscale them.
Second rule: after resizing 2x with nearest neighbor, either add transparent borders or use lanczos + a sharpening filter.

So, let's compare.

1. Original EotB image (at 320x200), png:

10433.png

2. Same image resized to 200% with nearest neighbor:

10436.png

3. Portrait cropped, png:

10434.png

Now you have two ways of going from here.

4. Same portrait, lanczos + unsharp:

10437.png

This one, while by no means perfect, does look pretty close to the one in the screenshot above.

Same portrait from the ones you uploaded:

10438.jpg

Ugh, bleh.

5. Another option is adding transparent borders:

10441.png

This one looks exactly like in-game.

Both options are miles better than what you have, and can't be done if you work with jpegs. So the only option would to be rip/find all avatars in png in original resolution and work from there.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You stupid fucks really like to fix shit that ain't broken, don't you?

I like the gallery. Make it optional though.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Crooked Bee

I actually think your number 4 looks much worse than what I uploaded. But anyway, if you feel that strongly about it then I guess we won't have an Eye of the Beholder gallery after all.

Astral Rag

Arcane
This streamlining is most definitely decline. Even clinically boring websites like rpgwatch allow custom avatars...or so I've been told.

sad-1u4osy.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom