Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spiderweb Avernum 4: Greed and Glory - Jeff Vogel returns to the Avernum remakes - Kickstarter Live

Leonard

Educated
I guess it's only fair of Vogel to remake the most garbage of Avernum games before remaking the most garbage Geneforge title.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I guess it's only fair of Vogel to remake the most garbage of Avernum games before remaking the most garbage Geneforge title.

Do the games get better after 4? I love the original trilogy, but 4 killed any enthusiasm I had for the rest of the series.

I was going to buy the bundle of Avernum 1-6 because I thought Jeff abandoned the idea of remaking the latter half of the series. Glad to see that I was proven wrong.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Sucks that he is only making remakes but 1) at least they are remakes of good games, 2) at least they are RPGs.

HammyTheFat

Scholar

Do the games get better after 4? I love the original trilogy, but 4 killed any enthusiasm I had for the rest of the series.
6 was fun but im not sure if that's because it was a sort of bittersweet ending to a series i loved or because it was actually good.

for example there's a really hard hitting scene where solberg goes out in a literal blaze of glory, but this would have zero effect on people who hadn't played the previous games and didnt know who he was.

the greys being right still makes me seethe

notpl

Arbiter
"Massively expand"? He didn't add shit to either of the geneforge remakes, what on earth would convince anyone this will be different?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Avernum 4 is worth remaking, mostly because it's a pain in the ass to run on modern operating systems and hardware and the original version of it was half-baked and rushed

almondblight

Arcane
Avernum 6 at least was pretty well received here. Here's Vault Dweller's impressions:

Avernum 6 is a superbly designed game, one of Jeff's best. He really got the sandbox gameplay down to a science and it shows. I'm tempted to write a review because I'm sure that many people look at the screens and go "Money for THAT? You've gotta be kidding. An autistic 8 year old can draw better doodles".

To put it simply, the game is fucking awesome. If you like sandbox games, download the demo, because it's THE best sandbox game ever. It's better than my beloved Daggerfall, it's better than Gothic 2, it's better than Morrowind, it's better than Risen. The graphics are one step above ASCII, but the gameplay (fucking everything, from loot distribution and battles to dungeon and quest design) is top notch. 10/10.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
So... will he dumb it down like he did with A3 remake? Because that retarded parody of a skill system still haunts me.

Gandalf

Arbiter
I wasn't expecting a remake of the second trilogy that fast. That makes it 6 games on the current pipeline (3 Geneforge and 3 Avernum titles). I wonder if there's going to be a place for something new and an another Nethergate remake in between.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I wasn't expecting a remake of the second trilogy that fast. That makes it 6 games on the current pipeline (3 Geneforge and 3 Avernum titles). I wonder if there's going to be a place for something new and an another Nethergate remake in between.
Nethergate was made and remade and never earned much, so why dive into the same river thrice?

kuniqs

Novice
Avernum 4 remake? No thanks, I'll wait for Avernum 1 remake remake remake, 3rd time's the charm.

Gandalf

Arbiter
Nethergate was made and remade and never earned much, so why dive into the same river thrice?
I wrote it, because I just want to play it, but since you've mentioned it, perhaps there is always a possibility that the new remake will introduce the game to all of the current and future Vogelmaniacs that might be not aware of Nethergate to exist at all or those who hesitated to play it in the past or forgot to play it at all.

In 2027 will pass 20 yeasrs since Ressurection cam into this world. There's much possibility to reintroduce it to the world, I hope so.

kuniqs

Novice
Nethergate was designed around its engine and I think metroidvania teasers like the 100ft drop in the abandoned mine are impossible in the NuNuAvernum engine and both versions made little money for a lot of historical research, so why bother?

Gandalf

Arbiter
I bet JV could just tweak his engine to make things work perfectly fine, he's a living legend after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom