Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Avernum 6 details

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Lord Rocket said:
Jeez, just look at that Garth fucker in the Avernum... 3?... screenshot Monocause posted.
Yes, it's horrible. Still, a bad character portrait doesn't change the fact that Avernum 3 is one of the biggest and most ambitious combat-oriented TB RPGs out there.

Micmu

Magister
Avernum 3 was awesome. Monster attacks on towns were brilliant. I wish he hadn't switched to modified Geneforge engine in A4; that feeling of vastness was lost. I'm still looking forward to this one.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
the freaking in game graphics have been serviceable enough all along.

the problem is that those portraits are something I could have drawn back in 8th grade

and I'm a very shitty artist

the interface was also a big problem, in terms of it taking up half the screen for a no reason, seems like hes working on that though

ElectricOtter

The skill portraits that were done by Phil Folgio were awesome. Yes, that Phil Folgio.

I do wish they redid the character portraits with more Baldurs Gate style ones. But the CGI ones in Geneforge were absolutely shit-tastic.

Zeus

Cipher
ElectricOtter said:
The skill portraits that were done by Phil Folgio were awesome. Yes, that Phil Folgio.

I do wish they redid the character portraits with more Baldurs Gate style ones. But the CGI ones in Geneforge were absolutely shit-tastic.

Anyone got a screenshot?

Phil's the man. He illustrated most of the covers of my favorite fantasy series, not to mention there's no Magic card not worth playing as long as it's illustrated by Foglio.

Luzur

Good Sir
kingcomrade said:
It's getting pretty furry in these games

no nudity yet though.

Yes, it's horrible. Still, a bad character portrait doesn't change the fact that Avernum 3 is one of the biggest and most ambitious combat-oriented TB RPGs out there.

they are changeable, just open up in paint or any other program and edit away.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Trash said:
The Avernum games are real fun turn-based dungeon crawlers set in an enormous underground cavern filled with all sorts of interesting things. The graphics are perfectly functional.
The interface, the dead spaces on it, and the clutter of the icons are not.

The graphics of Avernum games are far better than what people give it credit for, but take a good look at the portraits. It leaves alot of empty space which is not occupied by the image, for example. Let alone how crudely drawn the portraits are, they are like thin strips on big white boxes.

And then, you have endless icons placed on the same screen. I personally find it unnecessary, when all those things should be accessed from a seperate window. Look at how Neverwinter Nights 2 does it: All the function-related icons are opened up easily with a small button on the lower left of the screen, and more particular functions are kept within windows opened by those few functions. Unlike Avernum which puts everything on the same screen.

Not that it matters, because he started taking care of these things starting from Geneforge V.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
In Avernums 1-3 the only thing that bugged me was why he didn't fix the stacking items bug (suppose your inventory was full and you had 7 arrows, but your encumbrance would allow you to pick up one arrow more. Than you had to drop one item, pick up the arrow so it would stack, and pick up the item again. Annoying.).

flushfire

Augur
Zeus said:
ElectricOtter said:

Anyone got a screenshot?

Phil's the man. He illustrated most of the covers of my favorite fantasy series, not to mention there's no Magic card not worth playing as long as it's illustrated by Foglio.
dear god no.

Apoc_Tao

Novice
Once again Vogel proves that he is a lazy and incompetent fucktard that relies on the idiocy of his fanbase( that basically buys the same shitty product over and over again) to support himself and his family.

After he openly admitted that he has no joy in developing his shitty games, this was next on the disappointment line: another game with shitty graphics that were probably made by a school boy. Oh, and guess what: it's probably a lame rehash of the previous avernum titles. Just business as usual.

betamin

Learned
Apoc_Tao said:
Once again Vogel proves that he is a lazy and incompetent fucktard that relies on the idiocy of his fanbase( that basically buys the same shitty product over and over again) to support himself and his family.

After he openly admitted that he has no joy in developing his shitty games, this was next on the disappointment line: another game with shitty graphics that were probably made by a school boy. Oh, and guess what: it's probably a lame rehash of the previous avernum titles. Just business as usual.

Too bad that they are still good games.

Luzur

Good Sir
betamin said:
Apoc_Tao said:

Too bad that they are still good games.

but still, i finished Avernum 1 and am now playing Avernum 2 and it is still the same gameworld with the caves/furries and all, will there be sunshine and green forests in the later titles or is it all grey caverns?

otherwise i am forced to:
34oczrs.jpg

Monocause

Arcane
Luzur said:
but still, i finished Avernum 1 and am now playing Avernum 2 and it is still the same gameworld with the caves/furries and all, will there be sunshine and green forests in the later titles or is it all grey caverns?

Avernum 3's gameplay takes place on the surface almost completely.

MisterStone

Arcane
Just like everyone else says, the tile art is OK/passable but the portraits and related artwork looks utterly horrible. It's not that it's crude or ugly, it looks embarrassingly amateurish, as if draw by Napoleon Dynamite in his little sketch book or something. Geezus man, just spend a few hundred bucks for some half-assed portraits by a real artist. If the game is going to require 1.6mhz processor to run well, might as well get some decent art up in that biatch.

Luzur

Good Sir
MisterStone said:
Just like everyone else says, the tile art is OK/passable but the portraits and related artwork looks utterly horrible. It's not that it's crude or ugly, it looks embarrassingly amateurish, as if draw by Napoleon Dynamite in his little sketch book or something. Geezus man, just spend a few hundred bucks for some half-assed portraits by a real artist. If the game is going to require 1.6mhz processor to run well, might as well get some decent art up in that biatch.

it is easy to change them, just go to the Data folder, open one bmp up in paint and copy over with something else.

SoupNazi

I was going to mention the furries, but kc beat me to it. Suddenly, even mentioning them didn't seem like a good idea in the first place.

I think the graphics are passable for someone who likes combat-oriented games. It's purely functional. Of course if you want a storytelling RPG with an atmosphere and everything that goes with it, graphics need to work accordingly. But in this case I'd say it's ok.

Ruprekt said:
Shannow said:
Can't speak for him, but I'd feel bad selling something others gave me for free.

Vogel only makes an average income from his games. I don't see any ethical dilemmas.

Talk about a decline thread. At least half the codex are graphic whores of one stripe or another. Pathetic.

If someone had said "I really wish Vogel would turn up the heat and better the combat engine with more options, etc" (which he is doing to a lesser degree) then I could see where they were coming from, but artwork...portraits...colours...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom