Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

There's seldom something worse and more stereotyped in gaming development than stuff like AAA-tier graphics but E-tier environment traversing. Cminus-tier gameplay, but almost a B-tier kind of story. D-tier mash-button combat, much less exploration, etc.
I mean, we all gladly play AA, B, or even C-tier games if they know their place; all their aspects, price included, middling around their respective, clearly communicated 'mark'.
But, hey, what else is new since the 2000s.

Can i expect from Obsidian for Avowed to be Skyrim/The Witcher 3 size ? To include 100s of spells ? 20 weapon types with 100s of weapons to pick ? 100 monster types ? 1000 npcs with their own day schedule ? Any avenue where they can say. Yep we are the best !?
D_NQ_NP_948760-MLA51230624308_082022-O.webp

Yosharian

Arcane
It's not about the ability to 'scale up', it's about talent. Time and time again small, talented indie devs prove that with hard work and skill, you can create incredible games that are very complex, 2D or 3D.

What Obsidian are lacking is talent. Because it left.

It's not about the ability to 'scale up', it's about talent. Time and time again small, talented indie devs prove that with hard work and skill, you can create incredible games that are very complex, 2D or 3D.

And you won't get it. If you go to any programming course, the amount of gamers is decreasing. In a class of 50 it's likely that only two or three are actually on this because they want to make games. The image of the supernerd is going away now that anything IT related is basically a normal job now. Plus you have years of bad press against gaming dev being a shit place to work in, and it's public knowledge that gaming is the worst paying branch of software development. Who would want to work there?

Shaki

Arbiter

And you won't get it. If you go to any programming course, the amount of gamers is decreasing. In a class of 50 it's likely that only two or three are actually on this because they want to make games. The image of the supernerd is going away now that anything IT related is basically a normal job now. Plus you have years of bad press against gaming dev being a shit place to work in, and it's public knowledge that gaming is the worst paying branch of software development. Who would want to work there?
Fortunately it doesn't matter, because in a decade all these "developers" will be replaced by an AI anyway, and every Codexer will be able to easily generate his own perfect RPG in a basement. I'll tell the computer to make me 100 sequels to Arcanum, then I'll just keep playing them until I die.

Hagashager

Educated

Fortunately it doesn't matter, because in a decade all these "developers" will be replaced by an AI anyway, and every Codexer will be able to easily generate his own perfect RPG in a basement. I'll tell the computer to make me 100 sequels to Arcanum, then I'll just keep playing them until I die.
The heavily censored AI you're allowed to use will produce 100 sequels where you can only play a dark skinned Orc, female, mage and all plots revolve around you exclusively killing (and only ever killing) White, human, male, factory owners.

have fun.

Last edited:

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
Is there any realistic possibility this isn't going to be shit?
No and reminder I've learned to love PoE so it's not coming from a complete detractor PoV.
It had a sliver of chance to sell decently because it didn't seem like it's going to have competition in late 2024 other than DA4, but now that you have KCD2 it's over for Avowed, wouldn't be surprised if they announced delay to early 2025.

v1c70r14

Educated
No and reminder I've learned to love PoE
My condolences for your sanity. Before you go to the next step, which is considering Canadian healthcare, let me prescribe you some therapy: at least 100 hours of Grimoire, doctor's orders. If blobbers don't get along with your current medication, then consider the prescription free alternative; Icewind Dale.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I don't know much about Obsidian this days, but i do remember a lot of key people aren't there anymore and the last game of theirs i looked at seemed total shit.

Expecting a competently-made video game, much less good, in 2024 and beyond is just asking for disappointment.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Will this game have cipher abilities?

Wizard spell I found just very nerfed versions of D&D spells and din't liked, now, being able to take control over enemies in a very low lethality game was op. In a skyrim-esque game, cipher abilities allow NPC trolling.

ropetight

Savant

I don't know much about Obsidian this days, but i do remember a lot of key people aren't there anymore and the last game of theirs i looked at seemed total shit.

Expecting a competently-made video game, much less good, in 2024 and beyond is just asking for disappointment.
It is kind of sad that we will probably never see game developers of Meier, Carmack, Abrash, Garriott and other legends genius level.
Not needed anymore, it seems.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It is kind of sad that we will probably never see game developers of Meier, Carmack, Abrash, Garriott and other legends genius level.
Not needed anymore, it seems.

There will probably still be great game makers as long as the medium is alive, just like how the occasional good TV show or movie still crops up.

But it will probably be smaller, niche projects rather than AAA or even higher end AA stuff. So, expect more stuff like Battle Brothers if you want good games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom