Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
I don't believe there's even anyone left at Obsidian or inXile who would be excited about making turn-based/rtwp RPGs. They want to make Skyrims, Disco Clones, and co-op-focused things.
For all your hate for Disco, I doubt they would like to make a clone of it for the very same reason they wouldn't do tb/rtwp - despite warm media reception, it's seen as outdated as other isometric RPGs. For years now, people like that would tell you FNV was better than F1/2.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Experience shows that such schedules merely tie up manpower in producing trash so there is no one left to work on actual RPGs in the AA segment.

The only hope left is in the indies.

I don't believe there's even anyone left at Obsidian or inXile who would be excited about making turn-based/rtwp RPGs. They want to make Skyrims, Disco Clones, and co-op-focused things.
The same argument for Obsidian crossed my mind too, but the general principle is still that.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
For all your hate for Disco, I doubt they would like to make a clone of it for the very same reason they wouldn't do tb/rtwp - despite warm media reception, it's seen as outdated as other isometric RPGs. For years now, people like that would tell you FNV was better than F1/2.
Obsidian can never approximate Disco, their writers are too bad.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Sawyer is making one at this very moment. All of Obsidian's hipster lefty narrative designers would love to make Disco clones. DE also sold over a million copies and that was mostly through word of mouth.

Disco Clones
Seriously? I missed that newspost. Who's expanding on the brilliant ideas of Disco Elysium? Please tag me in relevant threads.

Gamedec, Sawyer Elysium.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why is anyone interested in a non-moddable Bethesda Game™ clone?
All Codex-like snarky-ness aside, you can feel it in the air that people kinda miss a 3rd person open-world (mostly) free-to-do-whatever you want 100 IQ RPG. I bet you that people are willing to overlook initially it being unmoddable, as long as it has no bugs.

If they release something mediocre, bug free - and then add moddablity later... it's gonna be a Todd 10 year money printer for them.

Gargaune

Magister
Why is anyone interested in a non-moddable Bethesda Game™ clone?
All Codex-like snarky-ness aside, you can feel it in the air that people kinda miss a 3rd person open-world (mostly) free-to-do-whatever you want 100 IQ RPG. I bet you that people are willing to overlook initially it being unmoddable, as long as it has no bugs.

If they release something mediocre, bug free - and then add moddablity later... it's gonna be a Todd 10 year money printer for them.
You meant to write "1st-person", right? 'Cause otherwise "3rd person open-world 100 IQ RPG" is one of the most common AAA formulas these days.

Either way, I don't see it as a long-term success. It'll sell somewhat, sure, what with Obsidian's lingering fantasy brand, MS's marketing muscle and that LSD Clown Vomit aesthetic zoomillenials love so much, but I doubt it'll have any more of a lasting impact than The Other Worlds.

Dycedarg

Learned
Sawyer is making one at this very moment. All of Obsidian's hipster lefty narrative designers would love to make Disco clones. DE also sold over a million copies and that was mostly through word of mouth.

Competence matters. The main problem with Obsidian's writers is not that they are leftists, but that they're comically bad at their jobs. Any Obsidian game who's sole selling point is it's writing would sell as well as Numenera.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
How much does it cost to train a 3d artist? How much does it cost to train a good writer? ;)

The unfortunate thing about writing is that competency cannot be determined quickly and visually. This is why book authors usually need a string of novels before their name gets to be bigger than the title on the cover.

AwesomeButton

Patron
How much does it cost to train a 3d artist? How much does it cost to train a good writer? ;)

The unfortunate thing about writing is that competency cannot be determined quickly and visually. This is why book authors usually need a string of novels before their name gets to be bigger than the title on the cover.
Yup, my questions were rethorical of course. There is also the problem of the current political climate that's predominant in the Anglosphere's liberal arts faculties in universities, which make it next to impossible for something viable and creative to emerge from there. By contrast, bringing up a 3D artist to churn out models is a simple matter, especially if you can afford to hire him as an intern at your company and have him learn from more experienced people. One thing is more a craft, the other is more an art, though of course there is crossover.

Yup, my questions were rethorical of course. There is also the problem of the current political climate that's predominant in the Anglosphere's liberal arts faculties in universities, which make it next to impossible for something viable and creative to emerge from there. By contrast, bringing up a 3D artist to churn out models is a simple matter, especially if you can afford to hire him as an intern at your company and have him learn from more experienced people. One thing is more a craft, the other is more an art, though of course there is crossover.

Why are you just constantly spraying your 80 IQ instant reactions to everything? Haven't seen anyone scream "I'm worthless" so hard in a while.

How's this shaping up? After Outer Turds, I've lost whatever shreds of hope for Obsidian I had left at the bottom of the barrel, post pooplars of eternity.

AwesomeButton

Patron

Why are you just constantly spraying your 80 IQ instant reactions to everything? Haven't seen anyone scream "I'm worthless" so hard in a while.
I need some context - what is the cause for your butthurt? Are you imagining you are a writer, an artist or something else?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom