Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Codex Year of the Donut
bethesda's reliance upon modding for commercial success is vastly overestimated when you realize PC tends to make up a minority of their sales.
Yeah, they have console modding now, but it's still very limited. Most of their previous titles didn't have it though.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
bethesda's reliance upon modding for commercial success is vastly overestimated when you realize PC tends to make up a minority of their sales.
Yeah, they have console modding now, but it's still very limited. Most of their previous titles didn't have it though.
You fail to take into account the huge secondary effect that modding has in advertising their games. You are all also forgetting that modding was recently introduced in some form to consoles as well.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The most popular Skyrim mod (PC UI mod of course) has had 6 million unique downloads which is a far cry its 30 million in sales.

Gargaune

Magister
The most popular Skyrim mod (PC UI mod of course) has had 6 million unique downloads which is a far cry its 30 million in sales.
And the majority of sales is of console versions?

Estimates for PC sales seems around 10 million which sounds right. It's on the PS3, 360, PS4, One, Switch, and now the PS5 and Series X.
So you've got more than half of PC users and one fifth of the overall customer base having used at least one mod? That's statistically significant whichever way you look at it and it absolutely supports the viral marketing angle. Skyrim would've been a big release either way, but it's mod users that kept the game so long in the public consciousness and paved the way for all those re-releases.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So you've got more than half of PC users and one fifth of the overall customer base having used at least one mod? That's statistically significant whichever way you look at it and it absolutely supports the viral marketing angle. Skyrim would've been a big release either way, but it's mod users that kept the game so long in the public consciousness and paved the way for all those re-releases.
Yeah. I didn't want to add my own interpretation but these numbers can be interpreted as 30 million sales on three platforms, of which roughly one third is on PC.

This "PC is dead as a gaming platform" mantra is already old.

coldaqua

Novice
Just saw this trailer for a Witcher 3 first-person mod and it reminded me of Avowed. I think going first-person was a good choice by Obsidian even though it leaves more room for error when it comes to the combat system. Hopefully the finished game plays more like Dark Messiah than Skyrim.

TedNugent

Arcane
If I hadn't read this thread, I wouldnt even know what the fuck this game is, and I'm actively playing Deadfire with a giant banner ad for Avowed right in my face every time I boot it up.

Bah

Arcane
If I hadn't read this thread, I wouldnt even know what the fuck this game is, and I'm actively playing Deadfire with a giant banner ad for Avowed right in my face every time I boot it up.

Is this your first Deadfire play through? If so, how far are you, and what are you impressions in comparison to PoE1?

KateMicucci

Arcane
Just saw this trailer for a Witcher 3 first-person mod and it reminded me of Avowed. I think going first-person was a good choice by Obsidian even though it leaves more room for error when it comes to the combat system. Hopefully the finished game plays more like Dark Messiah than Skyrim.

Cool. It looks a lot more engaging in first person. This almost makes me want to play witcher 3 again

almost

Last edited:
"From the brilliant minds that brought you Outer Worlds and Pillars of Eternity 2, comes the epic story of a lone Glanthanfan Dargorborn. The world of Eoas used to be ruled by mighty Dargors™, giant lizardlike beasts with wings that breathed fire. No one has seen them for millennia, until now. Find your true destiny as you fight through the legions of fampyrs™, cockbolds™, xorks™, drolls™, ocres™, and xaurips™, to discover the Sword of True Balance."

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
"From the brilliant minds that brought you Outer Worlds and Pillars of Eternity 2, comes the epic story of a lone Glanthanfan Dargorborn. The world of Eoas used to be ruled by mighty Dargors™, giant lizardlike beasts with wings that breathed fire. No one has seen them for millennia, until now. Find your true destiny as you fight through the legions of fampyrs™, cockbolds™, xorks™, drolls™, ocres™, and xaurips™, to discover the Sword of True Balance."
Sounds like something GW would make.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But thiz thing , i mean Avowed is alive , true bros?

They seem to be facing the usual Obsidian setbacks in addition to the assorted software development problems associated with the pandemic.

Still, Obsidian was bought by Microsoft and is supposed to be one of the jewels in the Xbox Studios next generation of developers. This project is almost too big to fail.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom