Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So, what are the chances that this game will resolve the story left off in Pillars of Eternity 2?
This time, instead of following a big dude around for no reason, you follow a big black woman around for no reason.
*Big Black Transwoman.
I think her name is Michelle.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Microsoft's Summer Game Fest was focused on titles that were being released in the next 12 months. Late-2023 at the earliest, but it'll likely slip into 2024 or beyond. Feargus did have a fabulously optimistic plan of releasing a new game every year for the next seven years starting with this year, but they're releasing two games this year (Grounded and Pentiment) so that covers 2023.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
By the way, I've checked, and though it took over a month, Obsidian has filled the narrative lead position for Avowed. Though who it is remains a mystery, my attempts at a search were fruitless.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
That's because they are planning a big reveal of narrative lead, but as a former owner I still have some strings I can pull.

It's a familiar face, but one we haven't heard from in a while. Returning to give us another fabulous RPG , the hero, the legend, the one and only...
:cmcc:

BlackheartXIII

Educated
AK Fedeau is working as an associate narrative designer on Avowed (https://www.tumblr.com/nihilnovisub...ehehe-been-trying-to-work-out-for-ages-if-you). this explains her proximity to Kate Dollarhyde (close proximity, that one of the reasons i thought she is might working on penitment (the main one is that she didn't announced on which project she is working on)) and Lis Moberly.
yeah! i first interviewed for outer worlds, but they picked someone else, so i came back about six months later and got the avowed role. i think they felt the historical research i'd done for dangerous crowns and company of heroes would be helpful for such a worldbuilding-heavy game.
obviously i can't, like, say things that haven't been announced, but i agree that the pillars universe is something else. it's not like any other fantasy setting i've worked in, to its benefit. iirc josh sawyer said that basing it on the early modern era rather than medieval times opens it up to different conflicts. you're not dealing with that king-and-peasant stuff as much anymore - now you have trade, the rise of a powerful merchant class, colonies and empires and the problems those create. i'm not as up on the metaphysical side, but it's been interesting to see such unapologetically weird deities as well.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
When this train wreck is supposed to come ?

Sometimes in 2026:

"You find a swerd +1

+1 - +2% to attack speed, +5% to damage
+2 - +5% to attack speed, +8% to damage
+3 - etc.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Sometimes in 2026:

"They found a new associate narrative designer for Avowed, it's Ayisha Jackson from Seattle who's best known for a series of YA novels 'Chuck Tingle and the Sex chamber of secrets'"

"twitter embed where Josh Sawyer says something retarded"

"Another project lead has left Obsidian to work on some cinematic experience in Naughty Dog"

"codexers arguing whether PoE is good or not"

"twitter embed where Chris Avellone says something smug"

"codexers making jokes about fampyrs"

"Another project lead has left Obsidian to work on Halo in 343 Industries"

"twitter embed where Jason Schreier says something about problems with the management and workers rights"

etc etc

FTFY

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Sometimes in 2026:

"You find a swerd +1

+1 - +2% to attack speed, +5% to damage
+2 - +5% to attack speed, +8% to damage
+3 - etc.
:lol: Can you imagine if things worked like that in good ol' dnd ?

+1 - +5% hit chance, +1 DMG
+2 - +10% hit chance, +2 DMG
+3 - etc

:lol: simply grotesque

inb4 the hit chance couldn't be a flat addition due to the nature of die rolling

Wunderbar

Arcane

jez corden said:
Think people are gonna be impressed with Avowed.

"posts an overly pixelated screenshot"

GF4UYfW.png

obviously it's a dual spellcasting like in skyrim, but it also kinda looks like arc of death from hexen.

2wtqzCX.png

jez corden said:
Q:was jason’s report correct that it got internally rebooted? i hope it comes out next year lol

Jez: "they did change up the team and change up the creative directors, but the result was better pace of speed and a better vision. the first vertical slice under this new direction came a lot more quickly. direction of the game changed in a good way imo, which ill talk about some day"

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Considering the complete absence of communication, people will be impressed by the mere news that the game actually gets released at this point.

Game is in development hell, there is no release date and it looks like Bethesda will release ES VI before Obsidian gets their shit together.

I bet MS regrets spending money on doublefine, inxile and obsidian, none of those have released anything with any lasting impact on the market, and look to be nothing more than the hallmark movies of gamepass.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
The funny aspect of it is, when these studios finally die because, by virtue of having sold their shares, the actual management doesn't give a shit anymore (for those who haven't immeditely quit), the public will jump on the 'big firm kills indie hard working studio after buying it and submitting it to corporate torture' bandwagon.

Last edited:

S.torch

Arbiter
Obsidian games, by women for women.

Women? Those hysterical, painted-haired, woke propaganda-generating creatures are what you people call... women?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom