Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Back 4 Blood - new co-op zombie shooter from Left 4 Dead developer

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Mar 14, 2019.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    https://www.back4blood.com

Show Spoiler
    It was Left for Dead by Valve, so they brought it Back for Blood $$. No subtlety here: https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/...tle-rock-studios-announce-back-4-blood/112397

https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/back-4-blood-announce-faq/112400

Weren't these guys working with Chinese publisher Perfect World on free-to-play shooter? Apparently the relationship faltered: https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/...-rock-studios-announce-back-4-blood/112397/30

Also this is probably what Jason Anderson is working on.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2021
    • decline x 2
    • meh x 2
    • Interesting x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    It's funny they use Blood in their title considering that Warner Bros. reportedly has rights for Blood IP.

I may wondered whether this is a crude attempt to reboot if they didn't wrote this is an original IP and owned by Turtle Rock.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. theSavant Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I don't like this title. When I read "Blood" I think of the real "Blood" and not a L4D clone. Mixing these titles is blasphemous.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Trithne Augur

Trithne
    Then why the fuck are you talking about it? Make the fuckijg game, then tell us about it. Or make literally any part of the game. Or is this preparation for the IndieFigStarter?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Latro Arcane

Latro
    i really enjoyed the original L4D maps

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  6. Volokard Novice

Volokard
    Both Left 4 Dead games have memorable characters, well-made maps, good sound design, and campaigns that can be enjoyed offline too. The fact that I could play the campaigns alone was my favorite thing. Why? Because many games now only think about the online aspect, forgetting to work on AI for the singleplayer audience or even have a story at all. If they take what made the Left 4 Dead games good and add in some original ideas then I have high hopes for this game. I always wanted Left 4 Dead 3 and this could fill that gap.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    L4D was a work of genius, but it didn't even have a chance to spread its wings before Valve came in and ruined it all with L4D2.

• what? x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • No x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    L4D2 felt more chaotic. L4D1 was scarier and better paced. I played L4D1 a ton but lost interest on 2 quickly. I don't why, it's just a personal preference?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Valestein Arcane Patron

Valestein
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
    Well, if you played L4D2 then you've played L4D1 by default since it has the original's maps as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Multi-headed Cow Magister

Multi-headed Cow
    L4D1 had legs when you looked down and L4D2 doesn't, though. Very important distinction since in L4D2 you can't get smacked off a building by a tank and see your legs fly up into the air just before you hit the ground and die.

• Despair Despair x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Valestein Arcane Patron

Valestein
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
    I can't think of any other notable difference, except 2 maybe having a bit more items and weapons perhaps.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Multi-headed Cow Magister

Multi-headed Cow
    There are a few other differences, L4D2 has more of a stamina thing to reduce melee-spam because a powerful tactic in L4D1 was everyone turn into a blob in a corner and hammer RMB repeatedly until all zombies die. Also didn't have the L4D2 unique specials (The spitter and the jockey) of course. I don't remember if the ported L4D1 maps had the occasional alternate routes or not either. Generally speaking though there's no reason to go back to L4D1 if you've got 2 since the differences are pretty minor and could be argued to be beneficial (More weapons, items, special zombies, etc).

• Informative Informative x 4
    ^ Top  
  13. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    L4D2 was unnecessary from a player point of view, it could've been an update / enhanced edition, as it wasn't that much different aside from main characters and changed melee.

But what it did was split the userbase. L4D1 was hardly playable after that. The people I played with stopped in part because of that. And when some of us caved in and bought the second, somehow it was too much of the same and we lost interest fast. Characters were shittier iirc, the original charm wasn't there.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    The pacing and feel of the maps are significantly different too. L4D1 made better use of visual indicators like lighting and corners, on where you could go, where zombies could come from, etc, so there was a lot more tension when you first played them. They were also more claustrophobic but still giving you multiple options. L4D2's maps, eh... it was just mist, fog, and a lot of stuff I don't vividly remember. It also felt like they were trying to go for a more mechanically diverse feel, which on one hand made gameplay more varied, but on the other hand, it lost a lot of the tension and charm from L4D1.

If I were to use an analogy, I'd say it's to L4D1 what 28 Weeks Later is to 28 Days Later. You have more shit and bigger shit, and the theme's the same, but that doesn't make it better.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    • Brofist x 4
    • decline x 2
    • meh x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Dodo1610 Magister

Dodo1610
    I get that they just want to make Left 4 Dead 3 but couldn't they have tried to make this look a little less generic.

• Agree Agree x 10
    ^ Top  
  17. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    > throws molotov into room full of zombies
    > simultaneously runs into burning room with only an axe

:what:

• Peaceful protest Peaceful protest x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    The male African American is annoying. Wanna bet he's gonna be the least played char?

Other than that it looks like L4D, sans the spooky atmo, and therefor, redundant. :decline:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Racist Racist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Spark Mandriller Augur

Spark Mandriller
    Looks like a console game. So we get worse gameplay since it's designed for a controller, and probably no mod support so no custom campaigns. Not sure why I'd ever play this instead of L4D.

^ Top  
  20. SumDrunkGuy Magister Shitposter

SumDrunkGuy
    Killing Floor>>>>L4D

• Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • popamole x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    The voices are atrocious. Do they even talk in the original L4D?

• Yes Yes x 5
    ^ Top  
  22. Biscotti Arbiter Patron

Biscotti
    Insert Title Here
    Voices seem okay with one exception, I'm pretty sure the girl is voiced by the same person who did Chloe in L4D and the buff black guy seems to be voiced by the same person who did Coach in L4D2.
    However, the VA of the other black guy is indeed fucking atrocious, the entire character is for that matter: Annoying voice, constantly cracking painfully unfunny jokes, etc. The kind of person you just wanna punch in the face after a couple of minutes in their presence.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ColCol Arcane

ColCol
    I hope they don't add level/grind mechanics but I have a feeling they are going to.

^ Top  
  24. MarxistPlato Novice

MarxistPlato
    Without source engine, zombies ragdoll doesn't feel soo nice:(

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Pika-Cthulhu Arcane

Pika-Cthulhu
    Never got into L4Dead, was burnt out on zombies from playing Killing Floor for years, the VA seems mediocre at best, not a great showing for a reveal/promo piece, the scene is generic and slow paced, enough time to babble through your lines means theres no threat or tension built up.

VA appears to be annoying, perhaps they plan to DLC characters that arent awful

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.