Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Back 4 Blood - new co-op zombie shooter from Left 4 Dead developer

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Can the originals be played single player? Have both sitting on steam for years but never tried them. I hate zombies and didn't feel like playing online.

schru

Arcane
Can the originals be played single player? Have both sitting on steam for years but never tried them. I hate zombies and didn't feel like playing online.
Don't play it alone, you'll only get a bad impression of the game. The bots just stand around you and act like overzealous turrets, unless it's a higher difficulty mode, in which case they're quite inadequate. The game is most enjoyable for as long as you don't know its beats and rhythms and it's crucial to play it with a full set of players to get the right experience. The first game didn't have as much variety in terms of enemies, weapons, and level design, but it was more atmospheric.

MasPingon

Arcane
I've been waiting for this game for a long time since I couldn't find anything remotely similar to L4D. Not gonna lie - it looks like L4D from parallel universe, but without it's charm, with cringy characters, bad animations and crappy humor. Sign of our times.

Dexter

Arcane

- 8 unique characters you can choose from with unique secondary weapons and character perks
- There's some sort of Metagaming card system to make the Levels harder on the side of the Director AI and players have their own cards and can build "Decks" to hold more Ammo, find more of a certain item type etc.

Some of the Sample cards have things on them like:
+30% Health -10% Stamina
+10% Stamina
When someone becomes incapacitated all teammates heal for 45HP over 10sec
+75% Fire Resistance, kills with Fire give u 3HP
+20% Damage Resistance while Crouching and +12.5% Accuracy
Healing teammates heals you for the same amount
+10% Reload Speed
Melee kills give 2HP
When teammate incapacitated everyone gets +100% Damage +20% Reload Speed and Infinite Ammo for 10sec
Break out of a Grab once per Level
1 Extra Life -20% Health
+10% Team Ammo Capacity
+10% Melee Damage/Speed and 5% Speed for every kill for 4 seconds

User was nabbed fit

The whole design screams 'generic zombie shooter'. The lifeless kind of thing I've come to expect from mobile games. No substance behind it.

Gameplay could be very decent... but even some of the mechanics, such as the card system, seem shallow at best. Still, I suppose they have time to build on this.

Until then though, this seems like a solid 7/10 at best... which may become an 8/10 purely through the benefit of being kinda fun to play with friends for a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dexter

Arcane
Been playing a few rounds, mostly with Randoms so far and it's a bit Eh in comparison with L4D, seems harder to get through than the easier difficulties in L4D, but there's a lot of baffling design decisions. There's a full Act of a Campaign playable with 4 maps and no Versus yet. If any L4D veteran wants to have an Alpha key, I still have a Code left.

They're already starting with Shenanigans half a year before release, apparently the "Standard Edition" will cost 60$/€ and they're already including a "Season Pass" for Extra maps and content in the "Ultimate Edition" that's 100$/€:

my5kh5isju561.jpg

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Personally I welcome the attempt, but there are some red flags right now for me:
  • The Game is very pricey (50$). This in itself wouldn't be that concerning, but it combines with other issues (listed below).
  • They are selling not just Pre-Purchase, but also Pre-Purchase Deluxe and Pre-Purchase Ultimate edition, which doesn't instil confidence that the base game (which is already very pricey) won't have content cut for the inevitable DLCs.
  • For some "Left 4 Dead 3 with some improvements" maybe be enough, but it may not be enough for everyone. So far the number of changes seems rather small. Too small to warrant such price tag.
My advice at the moment is to wait and observe. After Evolve I just don't have any faith in Turtle Rock Studios doing things right.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

This video is funny. First, one of the devs sounds bitter as fuck in the beginning when he mention other devs copying the formula. Then they keep talking about new exciting gameplay, innovate gameplay etc, but it looks so god damn bog standard that it feels like they are talking new speak straight into your face.

Also forget any tension. Apparently you are a super killing zombie machine.

Latelistener

Arcane
Is anyone from the L4D team is actually on board?

I know that a major part of Turtle Rock decided to stay with Valve, including Michael Booth, who was the founder of Turtle Rock.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Playing with Bots is terrible, and so is playing with random ppl atleast most of the time, all these games should be balanced for 2 players and up...
But most Devs seem to be incapable at doing that, also those ppl didnt invent shit, there have been multiplayer zombie mods for HL1... you know: long before Zombies as a whole became stale as fuck

Last edited:
Why do people seem to forget that Turtle Rock made that disgusting piece of shit pay 2 pay abomination, Evolve?

Not touching this shit with a 10 ft pole

CyberModuled

Savant
Why do people seem to forget that Turtle Rock made that disgusting piece of shit pay 2 pay abomination, Evolve?
People were willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and purely blame 2K for all the versions and lack of content on launch (ignoring all the other fairly large design flaws it had aside from those issues). The shitty card system they've implemented for this game reeks of monetization though and people have been faster to call it out now. Doesn't help people generally agree it's worse than a game that's over a decade old now.

Honestly, thank fuck games like Deep Rock Galactic exist now that actually correctly ape off of L4D without needing to nickel and dime the player (and having a base price half the price of the average AAA game) as well as L4D2 still having a fairly active community. It just means once Back4Blood comes out, it'll likely die even harder than Evolve did after launch.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
The normies and games press have likely forgotten or are being willfully ignorant. But I guarantee you everyone whose posted in this thread is lookin' at this with Evolve in the back of their mind.

It's all going to happen again.
Ia8LuZX.jpg
c0naN0l.jpg
ah6Zrf4.png
kZjUAVp.png

Payd Shell

Arcane
This game is going to suck, it seems the devs aren't aware of what made L4D so good to play in the first place. Unique characters are a bad idea, it's not some hero shooter or MOBA ffs. If you want to spice up the gameplay, let people create their own characters, both visually and from a gameplay perspective. But we can't have that because 95% of the people would play white dudes or chicks so you can't market your game on twitter for being brave, diverse and inclusive. General classes that you can further customize would be a nice middleground, something which other shooters have been doing successfully since forever. The card system sounds retarded as well, who in their right mind would want magic abilities in a zombie survival shooter. Gain health back by killing zombies with melee? Fuck right off with that.

I know everyone in the business is jerking themselves off about reinventing progression systems over and over again but Jesus Christ, chill out you fucking idiots.

Arulan

Cipher
I love Left 4 Dead. I've played L4D2 on and off for years with my group of friends. This isn't it, at least not without significant changes.

The melee weapons all felt terrible. The level design (for the map in the Alpha) wasn't very inspired. The boss isn't enjoyable to play against.

I don't mind additional randomness to the campaign, but the card system feels like a terrible way to go about it. Something like No More Room In Hell does a better job at this merely by weapon/item scarcity and scavenging, in addition to the branching paths that Left 4 Dead already does.

I think unique characters could work, using Resident Evil: Outbreak as an example, but I'm not convinced by what I saw in the Alpha.

As it stands now, I'm much more excited for Warhammer 40000: Darktide.

Harthwain

Magister
From what I have seen on the Steam forum a plenty of people are already saying they aren't going to pre-order, exactly because of Evolve. Having "deluxe" and "ultimate" editions when the game isn't even out stinks too much.

sser

Arcane
Developer

Translated.

Streamer: So Evolve's business model was probably the single biggest fuckup in recent memory. Such a fuckup that a cheap Dead by Daylight stole your thunder in an instant. Will you change your ways?

CEO: No. But we hope you enjoy this game.

Streamer: .......yeah.

Latelistener

Arcane
Me and friends tried to get back to L4D2 after the recent update to make some new achievements and honestly, the game is old. None of us was enjoying it anymore.

I've played many of the popular co-op online games, including Vermintide, Payday, Killing Floor, Borderlands, NMRiH, etc. After all of them, L4D feels like something of a basis you could make your game on, but not something that you could sell today. That's why I have mixed feelings about this, disregarding who's making this or why.

So, yeah, Darktide looks far more interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom