Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Back From Hell - An upcoming ARPG by Photoplay Games

Hello CODEX, I've been working on a game for some time now and I would like to share it with you all.

Back From Hell will launch on Kickstarter on the 1st November 2016.​

Description

Back From Hell is an upcoming ARPG puzzle/adventure game set in two worlds: a 15th Century Spanish hilltop town and a journey to the depths of Hell and back again. The player in this photo-realistic 2.5D game will fight for the injustice his family has suffered, battling his way in the underworld, and taking decisions which could possibly lead to devastating consequences.

In both worlds you will encounter a unique cast of fully voiced characters that bring the world of Back From Hell to life, all interactions and your subsequent decisions will have weight and impact. Conversations will be critical to solving many multiple first and third person puzzles and present the player with many difficult ethical choices as the game evolves. Back From Hell will also have a complex action RPG combat system, with multiple weapons and magical abilities to help you dispatch a wide array of enemies.

Back From Hell is a reinvention and combination of several classic titles, taking influence from quintessential RPG titles like Zelda and Diablo, puzzle elements from genre defining titles such as Monkey Island and MYST and combat from classic 16-bit beat-em ups all with an updated HD version of 90's digitized sprites.

Features

• Dialogue driven story that is full of complex characters, branching paths, unique locations, tough moral choices and multiple conclusions.

• A myriad of expansive environments to adventure in, explore and investigate

• Based both in the realms of the living and the dark depths of the afterlife

• First and third person elaborate puzzles that are both visually appealing and mentally taxing.

• Stat based combat system with multiple attacks, weapons and magic with a varied cast of enemies.

• Conflict resolution for the character - combat is not always the solution.

• Resource management, with a vast number of items to boost you in battle and objects to assist you along your journey.

• A highly detailed hand crafted art style reminiscent of classic adventure games.
  • Full controller and keyboard support.

Follow the project here

https://twitter.com/photoplaygames
or
https://www.facebook.com/backfromhellgame/

Thanks for taking a look

Not exactly, just the same artist. Purgatory is moving along far too slowly/unprofessionally , so I decided the best course of action was to start fresh on my own. It was the only way a game like this would see the light of day.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I presume, it's the latest iteration of Purgatory: Echoes From The Void?
Yeah, I was wondering why you didn't even mention this. It's obviously the same game.

Anyway, it seems it's coming along nicely, I really dig the style. Although frankly the new title and logo doesn't go well with the actual game. When I first saw the logo I was expecting some barbarian hack and slashing hordes of demons.

Are you still going to implement a sneak mechanic?

When I first saw the logo I was expecting some barbarian hack and slashing hordes of demons.
This game will feature tons of slashing demons :D, don't worry about that. Back From Hell will indeed feature stealth, recently re-played the first 3 Thief games as a refresher to see what worked well and what didn't. I am starting from scratch but there are a few ideas already in development.

Drowed

Arcane
The concept, the overall feel and the game style do seems very interesting.

But that heinous combat, my god.

This game will feature tons of slashing demons
But hopefully there will be ways to avoid it?

There will be scenarios where you have to avoid, can avoid or cannot. A healthy mix.

The concept, the overall feel and the game style do seems very interesting.

But that heinous combat, my god.

Hence Kickstarter, I've done all I can with the finances I have. Pretty much broke and it certainly isn't cheap making costumes/props, and very difficult working with real people/digitized sprites. Can I do better? Much much better for sure, all I need is funds and time. Its been a huge learning curve trying to revive a pretty much dead art style, there isn't any guides to follow out there. I alone am creating all of the artwork, building the game, writing the music, producing the sound FX, creating the props and costumes. So go easy on me guys, this Kickstarter trailer isn't a finished game, and forgive me if it doesn't have the polish of one of Mr Fargos' multi-million pound projects.

Last edited:

PirateScum

Augur
:philosoraptor:
Can you call something photorealistic, if you use real life pictures which don't look realistic to begin with?

Combat reminds me of Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain.

Can you call something photorealistic, if you use real life pictures which don't look realistic to begin with?

Honestly, my weak point is trying to describe exactly what it is that i'm doing. I always find the process the most painful part about making video games. I guess a more accurate description would be to say that the characters are indeed perfectly photo-realistic, they are frames taken straight from film and film itself is a series of rapidly moving photographs. The backgrounds, a little more tricky to describe as several methods are being used to achieve the overall look.

Combat reminds me of Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain.

For sure this generation of games is a massive influence, the game is designed to be unashamedly 90's retro

Reminds me o Moorcocks The Warhound and the Worlds Pain, don't know why.

WOW, just read the wiki page, the basic idea of that story is pretty close. I'm ordering a copy, intrigued

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The artstyle is fascinating, I dig that. But the walking speed and the combat, geez. Reminds me of Zelda's Adventure.

The artstyle is fascinating, I dig that. But the walking speed and the combat, geez. Reminds me of Zelda's Adventure.

You can run, combat - read above. Everything is subject to change (WIP) Is it really necessary to compare my game to the worst piece of software created by man? Think that is a little unfair don't you?

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That 'running' should be default walking speed imho. As for Zeldas Adventure: Opposed to the other cdi Zeldas, I think it isn't half as bad as people claim. Especially the weird look was very intriguing. But it suffers (among other issues) from the slow pace and the dull combat. And those three things are exactly what I was reminded of from your trailer.

Zeldas Adventure has 4-way directional animation, with a single sword swing (that incidentally looks nothing like any attack I have seen before) Maybe 32 total frames of animation at best (from memory). You can only walk and the idol cell is one frame from the walk.

What you see in my trailer is 8-way directional animation that each consists of 12 frames of animation for Idling, walking and running. There are two sword attacks that also consist of 12 frames of animation. 480 total frames of animation.
(bear in mind that every time your character changes a single Item of clothing everything has to be recorded all over again)

Animation that has been recorded for my player sprite so far that has not yet been implemented into the game,

punch
left shoulder to right hip slash
left arm raised block
receiving damage recoil (player getting hit)

again each recorded in 8 directions.

Animation that will be in the final game

Various ranged magic attack (point hand towards enemy?)
Ranged bow attack
Various environmental magic attack (hold hand/hands up to the sky, magic rains down upon the whole screen, think Golden Axe)

Zeldas Adventure is pretty slow paced but as I remember it has little to do with the speed at which the sprite moves, the sprite is pretty massive vs play area. Zeldas Adventure is slow because there is absolutely no scrolling, it functions exactly like a ZX Spectrum game. Single screen environments alone don't make a slow game, the play area is tiny, it takes less than a couple of seconds to reach the edge of any given screen. What kills Zeldas Adventure and makes it feel 'slow' is the loading times between each screen. Which are so frequent it makes the game painful to play.

Your issue with my game is the speed at which the sprite itself travels. Do I personally feel that my player should move faster? Yes i do, this is also why I choose to post on this forum, to get feedback, to re-enforce any concerns I have myself.

Is it possible for me to improve the speed? It is but there are two things to bear in mind here, one, I cannot just 'turn up the speed'. What I need to do is go back and re-record my actor walking/running at an increased speed then process all of that footage from the beginning again. This is essential with digitized sprites otherwise there is a disconnect between the speed of the legs/feet and the ground underneath them. It looks like moonwalking forwards.

Secondly is time, it's not a quick process to fix and as I've stated before I've taken the game as far as I can with the funds that I have.

Ideas I have for fixing combat, currently the player is going from regular walking to swinging sword. I feel the player needs a 'attack walk' animation. Walking sword up/walking with more intent. There are two ways in which to implement this, either an automatic trigger, when the player is near to danger the game automatically puts you into a 'combat mode' or something like Elder Scrolls, having button to draw sword/enter combat mode. I pretty much feel the game needs this, As going from upright casual walking to immediately swinging your sword is not helping the overall look and feel.

There are a few other ideas I have that need testing, like when your in 'combat mode' your walking is locked left/right (think Streets of Rage/arcade brawlers) and enemies only attack from those directions and try to walk around you to get in position. This would be improved over those classic games as I would introduce side-stepping animations rather than using the same left/right animation to walk up and down. This however would specifically force me to design levels or parts of levels that feature enemies to be left/right scrolling. A little restrictive but maybe a good compromise?

Lastly expectations need to be tempered, most of my sprites are real people. They walk/run/attack within the laws of physics, the pace of this title is not like a 2016 AAA title. This is a design choice, I wanted the game to move at a little slower pace, like the games of yesteryear. Combat is not the sole focus of this game, story, dialog, puzzle solving and combat all in equal amounts. The issue I have with the comparison is that people will read what you have written and immediately be made aware of what many consider to be one of the worst games ever made and assume my title will be just as bad. I think that IS very unfair, as Zeldas Adventure has had its chance, people won't even give me the time of day to make my game if it gets stuck with 'a new Zeldas Adventure' moniker. It would kill my project dead.

UltraRunaway

Novice
Your issue with my game is the speed at which the sprite itself travels. Do I personally feel that my player should move faster? Yes i do, this is also why I choose to post on this forum, to get feedback, to re-enforce any concerns I have myself.

Is it possible for me to improve the speed? It is but there are two things to bear in mind here, one, I cannot just 'turn up the speed'. What I need to do is go back and re-record my actor walking/running at an increased speed then process all of that footage from the beginning again. This is essential with digitized sprites otherwise there is a disconnect between the speed of the legs/feet and the ground underneath them. It looks like moonwalking forwards.
As a dev myself, I've made and iterated on walk and run animations.
Rather than shooting different footage for each change, I would figure out exactly what the footage needs to do first.
  • Adjust the movement speed in game/engine until it feels good
  • Create a placeholder graphic that is easy to iterate to figure out the frames I need (like a stick figure, to figure out poses and number of frames needed)
  • Re-confirm the movement feels good now that the animation's feet don't slide, because animation affects gamefeel
  • See if I can make the same using stills already processed to be game friendly
  • If the last doesn't work, reshoot to the specs derived above
If it takes you so long to film, process, and create animations, you should especially focus on pre-production planning to save time and money. Placeholders in engine to rough out what specifications need to be met by the animation can be very useful and fast to iterate. In a good pipeline, final art is often the last part implemented.

Codex is among the harshest sites on the internet when it comes to critique, so you can either let it roll off your back, or get feedback elsewhere until you're ready. But once you ask for money for your game, it doesn't matter where you go, you'll find critics.

Ash

Arcane
Looks cool. Anything paying homage to the glorious golden age is cool.

Good luck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom